Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drones or no drones?

af220wa

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, JimmyBob said:

No they shouldn't.  Shooters step foot onto someone else's property, voluntarily requesting to join an event someone else is hosting; that someone else has every right to record the event.

Said competitors should stay home and file a lawsuit with the American Criminal Liberties Union about how their feelings got hurt, to continue making the world a more pathetic place.

As one who shoots and publishes pictures of shooters at action competition matches I have to say it is an EXCELLENT idea to get the permission of the shooter you are photographing. That is... unless the sign in papers at the given range say that ALL competitors are subject to being photographed.

If that is not in place there can be some sticky legal issues if the photos are published and individuals are recognizable in those photos.... and didn't want their photos appearing, and that they were taken without their knowledge. Better to ask... or require for the event. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this from the grave as I just purchased a photography drone not too long ago. Here are my thoughts. 

Drones really are the next evolution for filming options. Some people tend to fear new things and simply want to whine and moan about something they don't understand. I work in a field that introduces a new thing to people set in their ways all the time and have even seen people quit their job over not wanting to learn a new product. 

Distractions can be a real concern but let's have a real talk. There are guns going off around you and a slight humming (Newer Drones) is distracting you? If it's above the berm, What the hell are you doing looking there instead of the targets and your movement? If a bird flys across the berm, are you going to stop and demand a reshoot? When I'm shooting a stage, I don't even notice the RO right on me. 

I think where the distraction is going to be a legitimate concern is when you have someone filming shooters within the bay and without their approval. Having too many amatuer users out there trying to use drones isn't going to end well. It just takes one incident to ruin it for all of us. 

Funny thing happened at last match. Shooter is very hard of hearing, so I taped his shoulder to start cof. About the 8th shot he stops unloads and says who yelled stop. People sometimes hear noise but not talking when right next to them.

rest of the story, so he turns all the way around to get his ticket to DQ.

back to your question drones don’t bother me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Perttime

Good drones today, like a DJI Mavek 2 Pro, has sensors all over them. You can’t run one into a person. I can try walking or running into mine, it backs out of way. The new drones today are capable of doing so much it’s incredible. Most people have Zero ideal of what they are capable of doing today. They are a great tool for those looking to film/phots ny event, especially a action sports like USPSA..good ones are small , quite, and wouldn’t be a distraction at all for me if I was shooting. I can lock mine on myself, set the distance for it to maintain, and take a jog through the woods..the damn thing will maintain its sets distance and follow me through woods all the while avoiding tree’s, limbs, etc. Its just one of many things it is capable of..it’s pretty neat equipment..