Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for new barrel, .223 Wylde Light weight, 16 in

M ammo

Looking for new barrel, .223 Wylde Light weight, 16 in.  I want to shoot 75 Gr bullets.

Is anyone shooting one,, that they are happy with the results?

If so What one?

Thanks

Stretch 16 is hard to beat. It's reasonably light and shoots 1/2 MOA.  Another good option JP makes an ultralight contour that's lighter, but I'd rather shave weight with a light handguard, titanium muzzle brake, etc.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, bushmeat said:

I like my Larue lightweight barrel. However, if you're going to run a skinny, pencil profile be advised you might need a .625 gas block and you might want to run a brake that doesn't have top ports.

Curious. What is it about top ports?  

11 hours ago, Ten-X said:

Curious. What is it about top ports?  

I got the barrel on Friday,, it looks good,, nice finish. I for the laRue gas block and Tube, to go with it.

I'll get it together this week,,

I think top ports means ,, it has muzzle rise,, and it needs to be kept down,,,

My 55s shot 1/2" groups out of my lightweight Larue but my Sierra 69s showed 2" of vertical stringing. I had an Adams Arms brake with jet ports on it initially. When I switched to a Miculek, no more stringing - sub-inch at 100 on most everything except the Hornady 68s and 75s.

Any high quality barrel maker can produce great accuracy if you are doing your part.

Go for a 1/8 twist barrel if you want to balance for accuracy across loads of 55 to 77gr.  Go with a 1/7 twist if it will be used primarily for 75gr and up.  Varmint loads and 55gr probably won't produce very good results when you speed up the test that fast though - heavy stuff will shoot GREAT though

Well I got the laRue put it together last night,,  it will be a week or so till I get to shoot it,,

I'm not worried about 100 yd groups,, I want to hit 400,500 and 600yd tgts,,,

On 5/10/2017 at 3:52 PM, M ammo said:

Looking for new barrel, .223 Wylde Light weight, 16 in.  I want to shoot 75 Gr bullets.

Is anyone shooting one,, that they are happy with the results?

If so What one?

Thanks

my work gun had a 14.5" dan def  lt wt carbine bbl on it. didn't like it for 3 gun had a 16" same bbl never even puyt it on

shot my 11.5 work gun and liked it better by a ton.   have not looked back

only had 100 rds on the 1/7 d.d and my work gun.    load is 75gr t.a.p. great bbl just not for me.

11.5 is good to as far as i can  see and shoot with a s&b -1x4 and an amipoint on the side. s/f can.

1mos at 100yds with s&b  same at 50 with the aimpoint.

so good i am selling  both when i get around to it. wont go back to either 14.5 or 116"

ummv

cheers

jjw

Edited by jjw

2 hours ago, jjw said:

my work gun had a 14.5" dan def  lt wt carbine bbl on it. didn't like it for 3 gun had a 16" same bbl never even puyt it on

shot my 11.5 work gun and liked it better by a ton.   have not looked back

only had 100 rds on the 1/7 d.d and my work gun.    load is 75gr t.a.p. great bbl just not for me.

11.5 is good to as far as i can  see and shoot with a s&b -1x4 and an amipoint on the side. s/f can.

1mos at 100yds with s&b  same at 50 with the aimpoint.

so good i am selling  both when i get around to it. wont go back to either 14.5 or 116"

ummv

cheers

jjw

What?

For future readers, Criterion also makes an excellent barrel.  Also known for sub-moa accuracy.  Chrome-lined.  Lapped at the factory.  Cheaper than Stretch 16. 

I was able to zero,,, the new rig.. and shot some groups,,  I was not able to shoot it past 100,,

Interesting and Frustrating.

the 75's and 77's two inch group at 100yds

the 55's cheap bulk,, that I use for short range........ one inch group at 100

go figure..

I hope to get to a long distance range next weekend ,, shoot 200,300,400,500 and see what I can hit..

I guess those cheap 55's are back in the mix,,,

6 minutes ago, kurtm said:

I don't like cheap 55 grainers at all!!!! But now the trashy 55 grainers really do it for me! :)

Hell ya,, they are,, I'll have to see what they do at distance,,  RM3G is what I'm gearing up for,,,

Are your groups 2" wide or 2" vertical? As I posted previously, the Larue pencil profile is more sensitive to the type of brake. Also, mine didn't seem to like heavy bullets pushed hard. My 69SMKs had a great sub-moa node at  2700 fps. The 77SMKs were good at 2650. Couldn't get Hornady 68s or 75s to group consistently, although the 55FMJs were half-moa to 200.

they were more wide, Put a Jerry M break on it.

I'm going to load some Nice,, Nosler 55's and some 69's and hit the range on Saturday. shoot some groups. and see how they hit steel,, at 200,300,400 and 500.

see what the truth will be.