Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California after 7/1 10 round divisions

CalTeacher

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest problem for Limited/L10 shooters will be stage break down. I shot roughly 45 USPSA matches last year in Limited. I enjoy the heck going to Arizona and participating in their matches. 

So If I shoot roughly 45 matches in L10 and go to Arizona and shoot Limited, I don't know if I would be able to be able to break down the stage in a productive way in a short period of time. Would like to hear someone's opinion that has done this in the past.

So my opinion would be why get rid of L10. Area 2 at Rio has allot of participants from California.

1 hour ago, CHARLES D said:

So If I shoot roughly 45 matches in L10 and go to Arizona and shoot Limited, I don't know if I would be able to be able to break down the stage in a productive way in a short period of time. Would like to hear someone's opinion that has done this in the past...

As a rule, shooting Production I reload every time I move between arrays. Shooting Limited I reload after the second array.  Only on very few stages this changes. 

We don't profit from that.  That's the fee to submit a classifier.

I see no reason to let shooters participate L10 for entire match if we offer Limited, which will be limited to 10 rounds.  L10 can be offered as a second classifier score instead.  What's the drawback here?

For a club match, who cares. Let them apply their classifier wherever they want.

For a level II or above, I see no need to recognise both divisions.

The bigger issue is if the law in California, sane or not, is "if" you can't be in possession of any magazine with more than 10 rounds and you promote doing so you may well put yourself at legal risk.  You will also put the brand USPSA at risk.  As a club officer I would be concerned that a gun club that promotes violation of the law is going to catch the ire of the authorities.  I could see them "banning" competitions by law.  Not quite the attention we should be seeking.  

As for L10, if you live in a state that forces it on you USPSA L10 Division gives you the opportunity to develop you firearms and techniques to maximize your abilities and then compete using the same at National Level Events with iron sights.  No need setting up a rig and then borrowing mags and praying they work.  But that does leave the California Open Competitors in a lurch, doesn't it?

6 hours ago, CHARLES D said:

I think the biggest problem for Limited/L10 shooters will be stage break down. I shot roughly 45 USPSA matches last year in Limited. I enjoy the heck going to Arizona and participating in their matches. 

So If I shoot roughly 45 matches in L10 and go to Arizona and shoot Limited, I don't know if I would be able to be able to break down the stage in a productive way in a short period of time. Would like to hear someone's opinion that has done this in the past.

So my opinion would be why get rid of L10. Area 2 at Rio has allot of participants from California.

CHARLES D, as long as you don't shoot on "auto pilot" you'll be fine. 

I and the few others that shoot 10 rounds in Hawaii, have no issues when shooting at Area 2. Just gotta have your plan and follow it. Like said earlier, in Limited you probably have to reload once somewhere on the stage. Most medium and large stages have more than one place to reload. 

I have heard stories of Hawaii and Canadian shooters dumping mags after 10 rounds but I have not seen or experienced that phenomenon ?

I have places in TX and NY.

I'm in NY most of the time due to Grand kids here Etc ETC!

I also shoot in PA at least once a month, I keep my mags set up for 10 rounds and have an extra set of mag bases that will allow correct capacity.

Going back and forth to states where you can use your correct capacity mags and where they are limited, is as simple as

PROPER stage plan.  Get it in your head where you're going to reload and KEEP it in your head.

IF you hit the mag release say "oh shucks" and reload and get back to your plan.

It will happen sooner or later, but just reload and get back to the plan including the reload where you PLANNED to.

The biggest obstacle is carry extra mags on your belt in case you have a brain fart!

Is it a PITA: of course it is but until you move or get the gov't to change the laws back.  Shoot and deal with it, the sooner you get over the shock and awe of it the better off you will be

Good fortune, its been 4 years for us with no correct capacity mags

Edited by jcc7x7

..at least in California for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd offenses (if you are caught) it is only small fines unlike places like Canada where possession of hi-caps not limited to 10 will give you a criminal record

Edited by race1911

H15-0 Thanks for the input. I know I'll have a brain fart and drop a mag when not needed. 

Shot a match today in So. California.  Spoke to 2 Match Directors what their plan was going to be after the law goes in effect. One is going strictly 10 rounds max to keep the range out of any litigation. Other club is on the swaying towards allowing standard cap magazines.  There are many shooters starting to talk about what-when the law goes in effect. A few have even mentioned switching to Production.

Hopefully the lawsuits NRA and CRPA have started to proceed with will put a stop to this.  Like many have said " you will get used to it " 

22 hours ago, race1911 said:

..at least in California for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd offenses (if you are caught) it is only small fines unlike places like Canada where possession of hi-caps not limited to 10 will give you a criminal record

may be a misdemeanor, but don't discount that the goods will be repo'd.

2 hours ago, CHARLES D said:

H15-0 Thanks for the input. I know I'll have a brain fart and drop a mag when not needed. 

Shot a match today in So. California.  Spoke to 2 Match Directors what their plan was going to be after the law goes in effect. One is going strictly 10 rounds max to keep the range out of any litigation. Other club is on the swaying towards allowing standard cap magazines.  There are many shooters starting to talk about what-when the law goes in effect. A few have even mentioned switching to Production.

Hopefully the lawsuits NRA and CRPA have started to proceed with will put a stop to this.  Like many have said " you will get used to it " 

Chickie,

They can " allow " any kind of mag but USPSA says they can only load to 10. Foley has said that he is not changing the rules. You can bet that someone (PCC, Open, Limited) will complain to Mike & Troy. I understand the feeling. But the ship sails on 1 July as far as USPSA is concerned.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:01 PM, tanks said:

There are larger matches with trophies in CA? ;) I don't ever expect to see an Area or a Sectional match in CA due to the mag restrictions. 

They are doing it in Mass this year for Area 7.

Interesting conundrum in Hawaii.  Per state law, PCCs with unique magazines (not compatible for use in a pistol) can be loaded to any capacity.  If the magazine can be loaded into a pistol, it is limited to 10 rds.  Could get interesting here.

Edited by nuidad
Clarification

15 minutes ago, tanks said:

MA has a pre-ban exemptions on magazine capacity like CA had, so people can still shoot Limited and Open with standard mags. Also, I don't think people visiting are bound by magazine rules due to " Firearm Owners Protection Act" travel exemption. 

If thats what your counting on you'd better check the laws again.  In states that are that strict (and I live in one) it's rare that a law like that will cover you.  

On 12/05/2017 at 0:27 AM, CalTeacher said:

Ok, here's a secondary question:

Should clubs do away with Limited 10 due to redundancy?  I've been talking with a few other members of our club and there are different viewpoints on this.  We can either A.  Allow shooters the choice of shooting Limited or Limited 10 because they may want to keep or build a classification, or B. Only allow shooters to shoot Limited for the match and shoot Limited 10 for an extra $3 on the classifier (and only on the classifier).

What are other clubs doing, and do we have to offer redundant divisions for people to shoot the entire match?

you are better off making in L10 in my opinion. That way any CA guys will get classified in it and if they want to compete in other states that can use their "CA compliant" equipment to run in L10 (the whole point of the thing I thought?). it also means any out of state guys who come to cali for a match can run in L10 with some 10 round mags.