Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Hammer Doesn't Always Drop - Sear Spring Issue?

I have an STI Trubor Open gun with a very light trigger pull...  It's almost identical to my two STI Edge Limited guns, except that occasionally the hammer doesn't drop when the trigger is pulled...  It seems to happen most often after racking the slide to load a round...  It doesn't happen often...  Last night I shot four stages without it happening, but it did happen once on unload and show clear...

When the issue shows up...  I pull the trigger and it feels like the safety is on...  If I release and pull the trigger again, the hammer drops...  not good...  Not sure what could cause that...  Maybe not enough pressure on the left leaf of the sear spring?

On 5/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Check that you have some pre-travel and at least .020 over travel

It has .018 pre-travel and .033 over-travel...  If I pull the trigger forward (when it stops without the hammer falling) there is a small click...  When I pull the trigger back the second time, the hammer falls...  Once it starts shooting, it shoots fine...

It's an SVI trigger assembly in an STI polymer grip...  Sometimes modifying an SVI trigger bow to fit the grip results in a longer distance from the front of the bow back to the flat part that presses against the disconnector...  This is the fourth SVI trigger I've installed (2 Edge, 1 SA RO) and the first to exhibit this problem... 

I would say it's interfering with the disconnector moving up freely. That's why you hear a click if you pull trigger forward (frees the disco). Try a little more pressure on the middle leg of the sear spring. 

6 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I would say it's interfering with the disconnector moving up freely. That's why you hear a click if you pull trigger forward (frees the disco). Try a little more pressure on the middle leg of the sear spring. 

Yep

Polish the leg of it while you're at it

14 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I have a EGW Koenig hammer and an EGW hard sear...  I wanted to use an EGW disconnector, but the ball end of the disconnector does not fit through the hole in the frame...  I ended up using a Cylinder and Slide Ultra Light Low Mass Disconnector...  I've used this setup in three other 1911's without any problems.

I tried sanding down the ball on the EGW disconnector with fine sandpaper, but it is quite a bit larger than the hole in the frame...  Since the stock STI disconnector and the C&S disconnector both fit and work, I decided to use the C&S disconnector instead of modifying the hole in the frame...  Don't want to make the hole in the frame larger if I don't have to...  I subscribe to the "modify the cheapest part" motto...

Increasing the middle leaf of the sear spring is a good idea...  Essentially like pulling the trigger forward, except that it's pushing the it from the back...

8 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Yep

Polish the leg of it while you're at it

Polish the leg of the sear spring leaf?  Sounds like a good idea...  I've never done that, but it seems like it might smooth out the sear spring leaf's interaction with the disconnector...  Every little bit helps... 

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I have a EGW Koenig hammer and an EGW hard sear...  I wanted to use an EGW disconnector, but the ball end of the disconnector does not fit through the hole in the frame...  I ended up using a Cylinder and Slide Ultra Light Low Mass Disconnector...  I've used this setup in three other 1911's without any problems.

I tried sanding down the ball on the EGW disconnector with fine sandpaper, but it is quite a bit larger than the hole in the frame...  Since the stock STI disconnector and the C&S disconnector both fit and work, I decided to use the C&S disconnector instead of modifying the hole in the frame...  Don't want to make the hole in the frame larger if I don't have to...  I subscribe to the "modify the cheapest part" motto...

Increasing the middle leaf of the sear spring is a good idea...  Essentially like pulling the trigger forward, except that it's pushing the it from the back...

Ball end of disconnector has to be fitted to your gun

+1 on fitting the disconnector. Very possible the discinnector protrudes into the slide area a bit to far so when the disconbector is forced down upon firing the top edge of the disconnector pads on the bottom side are pushed to far and catching the bottom edges of the sear legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added two ounces to the center leg of the sear spring...  also polished the left and center legs where they contact the sear and disconnector...  It still fails to drop the hammer when I unload and show clear...  It runs fine while shooting a stage, but I'm losing confidence because of the problems at ULSC...

I'm going to remove the Cylinder and Slide disconnector and continue fitting the ball of the EGW disconnector...  I'm thinking that the EGW disconnector will match up better with the EGW hammer and sear...

23 hours ago, BallisticianX said:

+1 on fitting the disconnector. Very possible the discinnector protrudes into the slide area a bit to far so when the disconbector is forced down upon firing the top edge of the disconnector pads on the bottom side are pushed to far and catching the bottom edges of the sear legs.

Interesting...  I would never have thought of that...  Not sure how to tell if that's the problem...  Maybe remove the grip safety and cycle the gun?

On 5/13/2017 at 1:32 PM, BallisticianX said:

This was the problem...  The disconnector was getting pushed below the sear when I racked the gun by hand...  Pressing the trigger a few times moved the disconnector up to where it would release the sear...  Here's a cell phone picture that shows the gap between the disconnector and the bottom of the sear...  Thanks for the help!

Trubor Disconnector Gap 800.jpg

16 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

yes, you can remove the thumb safety and grip safety to get an idea of what's going on. 

That's exactly what I did...  It was then obvious that the disconnector wasn't high enough to release the sear...  Thanks for the tip!

This was the problem...  The disconnector was getting pushed below the sear when I racked the gun by hand...  Pressing the trigger a few times moved the disconnector up to where it would release the sear...  Here's a cell phone picture that shows the gap between the disconnector and the bottom of the sear...  Thanks for the help!

591a49f004d25_TruborDisconnectorGap800.thumb.jpg.07cf955a19b0fa7b054aabeefe85f65c.jpg

No problem. Always nice when you can solve a frustrating issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Ball end of disconnector has to be fitted to your gun

When I found out that the Cylinder and Slide disconnector was being pressed down too far...  I decided to fit the EGW ball disconnector to my gun...  The hammer and sear are EGW, so I decided to keep all the ignition parts the same...  I started by twisting the ball end in 400 grit sandpaper, then 600, then 800, then 1500, then 2000 until it fit the frame hole and was smooth all around...  Put it back together and it worked fine...  Shot a couple of hundred rounds this afternoon and the problem was gone...  Thanks for the help!