Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on RPR

Johrichal

Hey guys my wife is wanting to get into long range precision shooting. Ive been researching different rifles and it seems to get a quality rifle your looking at $3k+ before optics. Thats more than im willing to spend for a hobby that im not sure she is going to stick with. So I think Ive decided just to get her a RPR in 6.5 creedmore and if she sticks with it we can always upgrade in the future. 

So my question is, is the RPR a good rifle for a beginner? Ive read a lot of reviews on them and most of them are good but I have read a few bsd ones.

Also what style reticle would you guys recomend for someone just getting into PRS. I think im going to go with the Vortex viper pst. I know there is better glass out there but again looking at price point I think it will be plenty good for her right now.

My friend has a RPR in .308 that he can not get to group.

He's an above average rifle shooter and has no trouble with his other guns so I don't think it's him.

I'd look at the Savage version if it was me.

The RPR is an accurate rifle but that folding stock starts to get some play after a bit. Also the forearm has a bit of flex in it.

You might want to also look at the Savage Stealth too or the Howa chassis rifle. Couple of bills cheaper than the RPR.

The Vortex Viper PST is a very adequate scope. I would suggest the EBR-2C reticle in either MOA or MRAD. Together, a good package for PRS production class.

I own the RPR Gen 1 in 308 and have made a few upgrades.  LRI components,  Seekins hand-guard, Jard trigger and changed out the butt stock.  At that end of the day its still a clunky Ruger.  I bought it to be a tactical rifle primarily because of the folder and the fact it took PMAGS and I have 308 gasers.  I cut the factory barrel to 16" and threaded for a can.  It is what it is as far a rifle but it does shoot 1/2 MOA honestly to my surprise.  Before all the mods I think I was into this rifle for $1150

All that being said, I just got a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed and it rocks and is 10X the rifle for $900 ish.  Basically a Remington 700 design with a full adjustable stock, adjustable trigger, side bolt release, enlarged bolt knob, lighter profile barrel that is threaded and capped and runs on AICS style mags which Magpul now offers and one is included with the rifle.  Being a Surgeon rifle guy at heart I can tell I have a new found friend and its Bergara!  They also do a chassis style version that is awesome for around $1400 with a Savage style barrel nut for easy barrel changing or caliber conversions.  

Just this past weekend I broke in the barrel and shot a few Hornady 140 Match ELDs.  Covered all 5 shot groups with a dime at 100.  Currently I have a Burris XTR II 5-25 on it for development. That would serve you great in production PRS.  Basically this is a $2K rifle set up and ready to compete.  Not a lot to upgrade other than the trigger is you wish and seeing its a 700 clone tons of mounts and other items.

Do both of you a favor and take a serious look.  I will try to post a few pictures later if I can figure it out.

5 hours ago, crossgun said:

All that being said, I just got a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed and it rocks and is 10X the rifle for $900 ish.  Basically a Remington 700 design with a full adjustable stock, adjustable trigger, side bolt release, enlarged bolt knob, lighter profile barrel that is threaded and capped and runs on AICS style mags which Magpul now offers and one is included with the rifle.  Being a Surgeon rifle guy at heart I can tell I have a new found friend and its Bergara!  They also do a chassis style version that is awesome for around $1400 with a Savage style barrel nut for easy barrel changing or caliber conversions.  

Does anyone have experience with the HCR? It seems like a pretty sweet piece, I hadn't seen the Bergara HMR (only the chassis version, and I couldn't justify that jump in price) that seems like a great choice as well. How is the trigger in comparison to the Ruger or Howa? All of the RPRs I have handled and Howas (though never an HCR, but the trigger is the same) have had what I consider excellent triggers for a factory rifle. 

On 5/11/2017 at 7:00 AM, crossgun said:

All that being said, I just got a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed and it rocks and is 10X the rifle for $900 ish.  

Good to hear.  I've been looking at getting the HMR in 6.5 to step-up from my Savage 10FP-SR in .223

I would consider myself a beginner in PRS-style rifle shooting.  Last fall I bought an RPR in 6.5CM, mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x, and have been having a lot of fun.  I'm probably biased, but I think its a good combo to start out on.  Plenty of options down the road to upgrade the stock, handguard, barrel, brake, bolt shroud, trigger, etc.  I see quite a few RPRs at local matches.

I got my wife behind the gun not too long ago.  Less than 5 rnds in and she was dinging 8" plates at 550.   

I have 1 in 6.5CM and I'm very happy; <1MOA @ 100 with Hornady match ammo, hoping for better with handloads.  The handguard is slightly off-center but doesn't flex; I sling it up pretty tight and don;t see any movement.  FYI, I put an XTR II on it and had to use high rings to keep it from hitting the handguard.

Two buddies have them as well.  One has a 6.5CM so that he likes a lot.  The other has a 308 that's had issues not grouping well.

You don't think "handguard is slightly off-center" is a clue? There's a reason Ruger switched handguards between Gen1 and Gen2. Still some flex in the latter as compared to, say, a Seekins or the Geisseles with proprietary barrel nuts.

Clue to what; that isn't not the same quality as a $3k+ custom rifle?  I don't expect it to be.  To answer the OP's question, I think the RPR in 6.5 is a good rifle at a good price if you're looking for something that is functional with lots of ability to customize/upgrade.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:23 PM, JonSnow said:

Clue to what; that isn't not the same quality as a $3k+ custom rifle?  I don't expect it to be.  To answer the OP's question, I think the RPR in 6.5 is a good rifle at a good price if you're looking for something that is functional with lots of ability to customize/upgrade.

Precisely. Excellent rifle to start with, room to upgrade if you want, and damn accurate as well. Now there's competition on the market segment as well, which is good.

Mine eats Prime or Hornady ELD to sub 1/2" at 100yds.

I have a Gen 1 .243, with a seekins hand-guard.  This is the group I shot when I was doing the load development.  I then took it to my first "big" PRS match that was not a club shoot.  I was able to hit the 1200 yard targets in the wind, and I am not a rifle shooter.  The .243 shoots like a laser.  As for the scope, the group photo was shot with a Burris 5-25, I now have a Vortex Razor GenII.  If you look close in the Classifieds, you can find it there.  I like your wife wanted to "try" PRS and did not want to drop several house payments into something I was not sure of.  I am hooked, and want to buy a chassis rifle now, so I have to thin the herd to buy new toys.  Feel free to shoot me a PM with any other questions.

58f2df790a8e7_GroupPhoto.thumb.jpg.137c01153901f295a043a932cd36048e.jpg

IMG_0870.JPG.70ceaf50d47839ddc5d74f4767829975.JPG

Edited by sasquatch981

Went out and bought a RPR on friday. Took it out this weekend and put 100 rounds through it and have to say im very impressed my best groups were .52" at 100yds and .76" at 200yds.

Also very impressed with the 6.5 creedmoor round its a joy to shoot low recoil and very accurate. Thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing with the idea of getting into prs and a few options I have looked at are a Tikka with a chassis like the krg xray, the Seekins Havak, the Tikka chassis gun, a Howa chassis gun or barreled action into a chassis, and then Savage or Remington base guns dropped into a chassis +/- rebarreling. The first 3 options are at the top of my mental list. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I shoot the RPR in 6.5 CM and a JP 6.5 Grendel.

Both sub 1/2 MOA but the Grendel has the recoil of a .22 and it is a 1000 yd shooter too.

The 6.5 is mild, but your wife might like the 6mm CM even better.

• 2 weeks later...

I broke down and bought a 6MM Creedmoor RPR since I don't know when my Seekins Havak is coming..

Here is rounds 26-30 at 200yds, yes 200!  First 4 almost touching and I Jankd the last round after loosing focus on what I was doing.

I was shooting suppressed for the first 25 then decided to see how high it would be without anything on the muzzle.

This was with Hornady Factory ammo 108 eld-m

If I can get a brake made in time I will use it the next PRS type match.

The only downside is the action is a little...."clunky" and "rough"   and that trigger might need to go!

Nick

0813171839.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have the RPR in 6.5 Creedmore and swapped the stock for a Magpul and the barrel to a Proof Research Carbon Barrel. With a Vortex 6-24 FFP scope I can do sub 1/2" at 100 yards and just starting to work up hand loads.

The Savage is also a nice rifle as are a number of others. GunWerks, Tikka, etc.

Now I have the stock barrel in 6.5 with only 20 rounds through it which I will sell to offset the $850 I spend on the Proof Barrel

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 3:57 PM, gcozzens said:

I have the RPR in 6.5 Creedmore and swapped the stock for a Magpul and the barrel to a Proof Research Carbon Barrel. With a Vortex 6-24 FFP scope I can do sub 1/2" at 100 yards and just starting to work up hand loads.

The Savage is also a nice rifle as are a number of others. GunWerks, Tikka, etc.

Now I have the stock barrel in 6.5 with only 20 rounds through it which I will sell to offset the $850 I spend on the Proof Barrel

I am buying an RPR 6.5 Creedmoor as well.  I wanted something lighter than my F-Class .308 to try some precision as well as possible tactical shooting.  I will have to research this Proof barrel but also interested in what you want for the Ruger barrel.  I am also looking for more load data and preferred projectile weight for 600 yards and under.  

I’ve been shooting my 6.5 RPR for a little over a year, more practice than matches at this point but have been hitting some PRS when I can.  On prone stages I get my hits (or a reasonable percentage) but I’m getting owned on the positional stages shooting off tires and barricades.  That’s where I need work.  

Mine’s still stock, other than adding a suppressor.  That said, the more I shoot the rifle the less enamored I am with Ruger’s stock.  I sense a Magpul PRS in my future and building my own barricade that I can practice off of.