Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB vs high explosives

12 hours ago, Broski said:

Ok guys... I give... I'm off work tomorrow, and I will pull it out of the box and shoot a video for you guys before I send it back. Then I'll go from there. Another day or 2 won't hurt. If anyone wants, they can pm me and I can even do a video call with them to look at it live with me.

I'm still not totally clear on the issue. 

When you pull the handle up, the ram travels up.  If you complete the "up" stroke, and start down, the shell plate should start to index well before the ram gets to the fully "down" position. 

If that is not happening (like Dillon said previously), then there is an issue with the indexing paw.  It has nothing to do with the primer cup. 

Not it being able to index the shell plate "manually" while the ram is in the fully down position is not an issue. 

On 5/11/2017 at 10:42 PM, Broski said:

Ok guys... I give... I'm off work tomorrow, and I will pull it out of the box and shoot a video for you guys before I send it back.

Did you give up and send it back to Dillon?

Having two of them, I can't imagine anything on a SDB that could be that perplexing.

I did... after changing out the indexing arm and spring and still nothing I figured I would let them figure it out. Regardless, if I had to get more parts, it would take more than a week, so I'm just going to wait the 2-3 and have it completely gone through.

7 hours ago, Broski said:

I did... after changing out the indexing arm and spring and still nothing I figured I would let them figure it out.

Broski - Let us know what they do to get it running.

On 11/05/2017 at 6:00 AM, Sarge said:

Same as 650. 

Kind of. It may add extra tension but it's not the primary source. Remember 650s were around long before the fail safe. I run my 650 in all cals without the fail safe and the shell plate still sits nicely and springs back to the 'neutral' position. It's the case insert system doing that on the 650. :)

Broski, following basic instruction is part of reloading. I would encourage you to take a class on how to reload. There are a ton of details that NEED to be followed to the letter. Slipping on any one of them can cause damage to your Dillon, your firearm, and most importantly, yourself. All of the posters here gave you solid information on what to try and do. Most of it was ignored. Good luck. I hope you never run into an issue with your Dillon, but if you do, don't waste peoples time on this board by doing the exact opposite of what was recommended.

35 minutes ago, leewongfei said:

Broski, following basic instruction is part of reloading. I would encourage you to take a class on how to reload. There are a ton of details that NEED to be followed to the letter. Slipping on any one of them can cause damage to your Dillon, your firearm, and most importantly, yourself. All of the posters here gave you solid information on what to try and do. Most of it was ignored. Good luck. I hope you never run into an issue with your Dillon, but if you do, don't waste peoples time on this board by doing the exact opposite of what was recommended.

I agree that everyone who reloads should learn the do's, dont's, and why's. But it was no waste of my time sharing info.  Dillon will help him out and Broski will get back to us.

On 5/15/2017 at 10:18 AM, leewongfei said:

I'm sorry if you feel like your time was wasted. At some point everyone reaches a point of frustration where they are ready to throw their hands up. I reached that point when after hours on the phone with multiple calls talking to multiple techs at Dillon we still could not figure it out. We went as far and nearly completely disassembling the machine to track down the issue. Had different parts sent/replaced. Their recommendation considering the age of the machine was to send it to them so they could completely go through the machine and track down any other issues that arose. This issue BTW was the 3rd issue that required replacement parts. 

To to any of you who feel I wasted your time, please accept my apologies. That was never my intention. I have learned more here in my short time since joining than I ever thought I would, and for that I thank those of you who have shared your knowledge. I will most certainly let you all know what all Dillon found when I get the machine back. Until then, good luck and keep that HF high.

Just to make sure everyone here is on the same page as to what we tried, blow I am going to try to answer nearly everyone's suggestions.

HiPowerJack... the shell plate is tightened down properly

RustyBayonet & IronicTwitch... the failsafe rod assembly is installed per pg 9 of th manual

Dillon... the shell plate does not rotate at all on the down stroke

TDA & Ssanders224... the indexing arm assembly and spring were removed and replaced with new parts by me with tech support on the phone

9x45... that is how I came to purchase the press... I bought it from someone at CRPC, and the same person is helping to teach me reloading and he could not figure it out either

i know you guys wanted me to post some photos and videos, and I never did. Sorry. I thought I could explain myself better than I did, and have been having issues trying to post photos or videos to the forum recently.

If the shell plate did not move at all when the ram was moving downward, there are only a few things that could cause it.

-missing index cam bolt

-indexing arm/paw installed backwards

-indexing arm/paw stuck in the wrong position (stuck in "cammed" pos.)

-something under shell plate causing it to sit high enough that paw cannot reach it.

-stuck shell plate (if this was the issue, the handle would jam when the paw attempted to index)

Thats honestly pretty much it.  There's only 3 parts needed for indexing.  Cam bolt, arm/paw, and shell plate.  If those 3 interact halfway correctly, that plate will try to index. 

13 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Thats honestly pretty much it.  There's only 3 parts needed for indexing.  Cam bolt, arm/paw, and shell plate.  If those 3 interact halfway correctly, that plate will try to index. 

Great summary Ssanders. It will be interesting to hear what Dillon finds out.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, leewongfei said:

don't waste peoples time on this board by doing the exact opposite of what was recommended.

Being a little harsh.    :unsure:

This IS a discussion panel - nothing wrong with discussion.

Heck, we're ALL still learning here    :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys. I just got my press returned today. I haven't even made it home to reinstall it, but I have attached a photo of what was on the invoice. I do know they said they had to do some machine work on the block as well. I think it was worth the time sending it back with everything that was done and replaced.

IMG_0270.JPG

Edited by Broski
Added photo