Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB vs high explosives

Ok so, a lot of you know I just got my first press. I got it all mounted up, and was running a few pieces of brass through just testing everything out while waiting in some parts from Dillon. Now the machine won't index. If I raise the shell plate up about an inch, I can manually turn the shell plate. Looking at station 2 it looks as though the brass cup that the holds the new primer before it is pressed into place is jamming up the shell plate. I have taken the priming system apart, and checked the OAL from the top of the cup to the bottom of the primer bar, and it is well within tolerance. Dillon even sent me a whole new primer tube assembly, but still got nothing. Someone please help me figure this out before I stick something highly explosive to the machine and shoot it with my Glock. For God sakes I just wanna load some ammo.

1 hour ago, rustybayonet said:

I'm a 550 guy. Does the SDB have the fail safe system? On the 550 if your fail safe rod is not adjusted correctly or not installed, the primer bar will stop the shell plate from indexing.

Doesn't the fail safe rod control the powder system?

Yea,  you should have a little tension on the fail safe rod, that will keep the ram from sitting all the way at the bottom of the stroke. 

However, I don't know that I understand the issue.  The shell plate doesn't really need to be able to index when the ram is completely down? 

Can you he more specific on what exactly happens when you cycle the handle?

Ok looking at the schematic from Dillon, it looks like the primer cup is catching on either the shell plate or the platform base disc and is keeping the machine from indexing. When I said raising the he'll plate, what I meant was that I was partially cycling the machine which would allow me to manually index the shell plate.

Edited by Broski

Looking at page 9 of the SDB setup manual - I think this should fix it for you.

"Install the washer (#14033) and the wingnut (#13799). With your left hand, move the operating handle (#20114) to the priming position; press the operating handle firmly forward and with your right hand adjust the wingnut until the spring is partially compressed."

On the SDB, the shellplate rotates before the primer is seated. Does your shellplate rotate when you cycle the handle? If no, then your problem has nothing to do with the primer feed.

5 minutes ago, rustybayonet said:

On the 550 it also holds the ram up above the primer bar and gives tension and recoil for the forward push when seating primers.

Same as 650. 

Well I spent about 45 min on the phone with Dillon tonight. Changed out the parts they sent me, no luck. Changed out the indexing arm and spring, nothing. The tech nor I can figure out why it won't index. So, I guess it's off to Dillon to let them figure it out. 

30 minutes ago, Broski said:

Well I spent about 45 min on the phone with Dillon tonight. Changed out the parts they sent me, no luck. Changed out the indexing arm and spring, nothing. The tech nor I can figure out why it won't index. So, I guess it's off to Dillon to let them figure it out. 

If you post a video of you cycling the press, and the issue happening, I can almost promise you I can help you figure it out. 

Ive owned/rebuilt/ maintenanced several SDBs, and kind of know them like the back of my hand. 

Just need to see a video, because like Dillon posted, indexing should have nothing to do with the primer cup. 

8 hours ago, Broski said:

spent 45 min with Dillon. The tech nor I can figure out why it won't index.

I'm surprised the tech couldn't figure it out - they've been Very Good at

solving the problems I've had over the past 20 years.

As we've all been saying, if you posted photos or video, some of our BE

experts might be able to get you going in a few hours  :)

Good luck solving the problem.

I bought an SDB on eBay that was basically new in the box for $250.00.

When I got it set up it worked for a short while and then stopped indexing. Pretty sure I know why it was sold...

I tinkered with it and found that the screw that holds the indexing pawl in place had backed uot and the pawl was no longer contacting the shell plate to index it.

I removed the ram, cleaned the screw and instaled it with a drop of Loctite on it and it's been running perfectly ever since.

For some reason I am not able to post pics with this new software or I'd post a pic of what I am referring to.

Edited by TDA

Well, after the offer from Dillon to completely go through the machine for nothing considering the problems, I'm thinking about sending it to them. That way I know everything is 100%. They did tell me that based on some of the parts on the machine it was made sometime before 1992. What do you guys think? Just let them go through it?

2 hours ago, Broski said:

Well, after the offer from Dillon to completely go through the machine for nothing considering the problems, I'm thinking about sending it to them. That way I know everything is 100%. They did tell me that based on some of the parts on the machine it was made sometime before 1992. What do you guys think? Just let them go through it?

If you can figure it out yourself, you learn something about the machine and you will be all the better off  for trouble shooting down the road. And BE is a great resource for trouble shooting Dillon presses. I know it has been mentioned before, but is the shell plate too tight?  If the set screw that holds the shell plate bolt in place is loose, the bolt rotates down when you rotate the shell plate. Also mentioned is a loose screw on the indexing pawl. Easy enough to check these things.

Ok guys... I give... I'm off work tomorrow, and I will pull it out of the box and shoot a video for you guys before I send it back. Then I'll go from there. Another day or 2 won't hurt. If anyone wants, they can pm me and I can even do a video call with them to look at it live with me.

Broski, the best way to start on a new progressive is find another competitive shooter near you, who is willing to get you going. Call Coast Rifle and Pistol Club, they have USPSA, 3 Gun, and Steel Challenge matches. Someone there should be willing to help you.