Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou 120gr TCG vs. Acme 122gr FP

RickT

I have a good steel challenge load with the Bayou bullets, but in my 9mm 1911 and 8 lb. recoil spring I don't care for how the first round chambers.  We use a ton of Acme 115gr, but I like the N340 load behind the slightly heavier bullets (hardly makes a difference at sub-minor PF).  It looks like the Acme 122gr have a bit more of a radius on the cone which would tend to smooth thing out.  Can anyone comment?  Of course I'm going to order some to try, but wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who uses the Acme's.

The Acme 122 gr bullets do have a larger radius on the cone than the older Bayou 124 gr TC bullets. I don't know about the newer Bayou 120 gr TC bullets. I think the pictures on Bayou's site for the 120 gr TC bullets are just the old ones they used for the 124 gr TC bullets. I have had rounds loaded with the Bayou Bullets hang up on the feed ramp of a dirty barrel. Feeding seems to be smoother with the Acme bullets, but I've only gone through about 2000 projectiles. No issues so far.

The cone on the Acme bullets is definitely shorter than the older Bayou bullets. I have to load the Acme bullets much shorter in comparison to the old Bayou 124 gr TC bullets. About .050" shorter.

I've switched over to the Acme 122 gr bullets for a majority of my shooting because they're cheaper with the forum discount.

Test fired a couple hundred of the Acme bullets today.  Definitely fed better than the Bayou Bullets.  I had been loading the BBs at 1.10" for my SA 9mm 1911.  Had to drop down to 1.08" for the Acme's.  No surprise since those are stubby little things.  I am going to order a few hundred of the 120gr BBs to check them out.

I bought some of the Bayou 120gr TCG to try out.  Haven't shot any yet, but here are the metrics on the Bayou and Acme bullets in the 124gr class.

Bayou 124gr TCG: Weight 124.0gr, Length 0.558", Nose radius very small

Bayou 120gr TCG: Weight 120.8gr, Length 0.528", Nose radius noticeably greater than Acme

Acme 122gr FP:     Weight 121.4gr, Length 0.537:, Slight nose radius

The Acme's do chamber better than the 124gr Bayou's in my 9mm 1911.  I suspect he 120gr Bayou's will be fine, but more expensive than the Acme's (with the 10% discount).

Wow, I didn't realize that Bayou discontinued their 124 TCG bullets.  I have loaded quite a few of them and was generally pleased with how they perform in my CZ.  I'm using 135's now, however would interested to hear the feedback on the new 120 TCGs.

Bayou had issues with the molds for the 124 TCG, so they not casting them at this time. I tested the 120 TCG's and they shot great but OAL was shorter at 1.030 instead of 1.070 for the 124's. I just happen to be playing with my spreadsheet today and did a sort by accuracy and to my surprise the 120's were more accurate than the 124's. Best was 1.21" 5 shot avg at 25 yds out my accu-shadow in the ransom rest. Powder was 3.6 gr of tightgroup, Fiocchi primers and Winchester case. Second was 4.4 gr Vectan 9 1/2 shot 1.48" group.

I'd been seeing the flash on the Bayou 124 TCG mold interface.  Won't shoot the 120's until Wednesday, but I can still load those to 1.07".  

8 hours ago, RickT said:

I'd been seeing the flash on the Bayou 124 TCG mold interface.  Won't shoot the 120's until Wednesday, but I can still load those to 1.07".  

This was the reason I started looking for another bullet. The last two cases of Bayou 124 gr TC bullets I ordered, about 30% of the bullets had significant flash where the mold halves met. Loaded rounds wouldn't plunk and spin with these bullets. Glad Bayou sorted things out. I'll be sticking with the Acme 122 gr FP bullets, though. Can't beat the price on Acme with the forum discount.

Yeah I had two orders of the bayou 124's that were messed up and I got some bullets from acme coming to try them out. I hope the acme' are good to go and I used the 10% discount also,if I like them ill order a case or two to hold me thur the summer.

I may go with Acme for my SC 1911, but use the Bayou bullets for the three other guns I load for; the three additional colors will really come in handy. The Acme bullets are absolutely fine and the coating is very durable.  For various reasons I've taken apart more than a few and 95% of the bullets pulled are absolute fine to reuse or practice.

Edited by RickT