Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spikes dedicated Colt pattern lower

I just pocked one up.  It seems well made and it comes with the Colt style ejector and feed ramp.  It also comes with a mag catch, extended bolt catch and takedown pins installed.  No roll pins, it uses threaded allen bolts throughout.

As delivered it does not work with JP or NFA bolts.  The ears on the feed ramps are squared at the top on the outside edges; the Rock River mag block I have been using is beveled at the top to allow clearance for the bolt. Spikes:IMG_8006.thumb.JPG.2e0ad5b1ca77d43aac7eb006481f0cee.JPG

Rock River:

IMG_8011.thumb.JPG.0247f1906168388fcab72f4bde77484e.JPG

I had to bevel the ears on the Spikes to allow the bolt to close:IMG_8013.thumb.JPG.66abccf1f7c2ea4b17e210ada5e5c631.JPG

Once that was done, there was clearance for the bolt to cycle.  I also installed a previously modified mag catch;

IMG_7981.thumb.JPG.6ea8e5c9f6ca052cb908653f8cd74c4d.JPG

this allowed easier mag seating.

Once assembled with Magpul grip, MiBr, polished milspec trigger, ambi safety carbine buffer tube and buffer, I took it to the neighborhood indoor range and it functioned flawlessly.  

Inserting and seating mags is about the same as the mag block in a regular lower.  The magwell is not beveled; rather it appears to be about the same shape as a JP or CMMG, but it is reduced to match the smaller magazines.

The completed rifle with Anderson slick sided upper, 16" BA Modern Series barrel, CMB 9 mm comp, JP bolt, MOE grip and stock, MRO, milspec charging handle with Strike Industries extended latch, ATI handguard.  

IMG_8014.thumb.JPG.8ec85c1fb29c55080aec8f089cd5e036.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Our match yesterday was rained out, but I did manage to get some trigger time on this rifle.  I fired 140 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I did about 15 unloaded, bolt closed starts from low ready.  I found if I took care to align the magazine up upon insertion I could easily seat the magazine without much force.