Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are some tips to "riding the recoil" to the next target?

In my videos I'm taking when I go to the range I'm not "riding the recoil" when I transition to the next target. For example on my second shot on a target I'm waiting for the gun to settle on the target I just shot and then transitioning to the next target. 

What can I do to help fix this? I know I can shave off at least a tenth of a second in transition time by fixing this problem. 

Edited by nikdanja

I think a good drill for this is one we did in Ben Stoegers class. 

set up 3 targets a yard or so apart at 5 yds and shoot 2 on each with the same split and transition cadence (not the normal bang,bang,----bang,bang more bang,  bang,  bang,  bang) start slow and increase the cadence with each run, He had us keep going faster and faster until we really fell apart on the transitions (pulling shots off the last target shooting too early on the next ect.) on this drill it is ok to fail the idea is to learn to drive the gun to the next target the instant the shot breaks 

Something I struggle with and still work on consistently.  Lead with your eyes, then your gun will follow is what people say...    

The leading with your eyes really helps with the transition to the following target as you won't over swing that target.  Over swinging makes you have to recenter and such which slows down the entire transition aspect. 

6 minutes ago, nbot said:

Something I struggle with and still work on consistently.  Lead with your eyes, then your gun will follow is what people say...    

The leading with your eyes really helps with the transition to the following target as you won't over swing that target.  Over swinging makes you have to recenter and such which slows down the entire transition aspect. 

Right, I read that in Mr. Enos's book. What I like to do at range practice is on a fresh paper target at 5 yards, shoot at the left shoulder then the right shoulder as fast as I can.  Vary the exercise with pairs and triples on each shoulder. 

A good drill is to have two targets.  Shoot first target once and transition to the second.  Do it your normal way on the clock...then work on transitioning as soon as you call a good shot.  Only shoot each target once to focus on the transition.  

Another one is gun up and sights aligned on first target, on beep transition and fire one shot.  If your working with a buddy you can do this repeatedly  Beep transition shoot...Beep transition shoot.  

You can also with gun on target 1 Beep...shoot...transition to 2....Beep Shoot....Beep Shoot transition to 1.  

Edited by CrashDodson

4 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

A good drill is to have two targets.  Shoot first target once and transition to the second.  Do it your normal way on the clock...then work on transitioning as soon as you call a good shot.  Only shoot each target once to focus on the transition.  

Another one is gun up and sights aligned on first target, on beep transition and fire one shot.  If your working with a buddy you can do this repeatedly  Beep transition shoot...Beep transition shoot.  

You can also with gun on target 1 Beep...shoot...transition to 2....Beep Shoot....Beep Shoot transition to 1.  

I love this! This sounds like a great dryfire drill

From a mental processing perspective you really need to have made the decision to drive the gun to the next target before the last shot has actually broken. it takes well more than .1 seconds to consciously go from input to output, as in call good shot decide to move to next target. watch any top shooter make a make-up shot on steel or the last shot on a paper target and you will see them have to stop their transition and move the gun back (or if possible finish what they were going for and come back to the target in question) this is because they made the decision to transition before they called a good shot, the transition had already started when the decision to make up the shot was processed and turned into an action.  

Try this in practice by starting with your gun up and finger on trigger with it prepped and ready to go on the beep break the shot, if you are faster than .2 you are doing pretty good. 

Fun fact.

In track and field sprints, the sport's governing body, the IAAF, has a rule that if the athlete moves within 0.1 seconds after the gun has fired the athlete has false-started.[2] This figure is based on tests that show the human brain cannot hear and process the information from the start sound in under 0.10 seconds  

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, thermobollocks said:

Make an effort to move the gun as soon as you know where the shot went. If you don't know where the shot went before the gun's finished recoiling, then work on knowing where the shot went faster.

That is good logic, and correct advice! However, when the 'BEEP' goes off, all logic goes out the window :/

14 minutes ago, abb1 said:

That is good logic, and correct advice! However, when the 'BEEP' goes off, all logic goes out the window :/

With practice this problem goes away too.

If you practice your skills enough to the point they are subconscious you wont need logic. If you visualize your stage plan to the point you have it memorized and can do it with your eyes close. Again you wont need logic. When the beep goes off you'll just go.

The key is for your eyes to leave the current target and move to the next one as soon as the sights lift.

The gun follows your eyes. Snapping them to the next target is the skill you need to make a habit.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

In one of Stoeger books he has you slap the timer when you hear the beep, just to practice reaction time. In practice I can get it a lot of times during the beep duration. 

Put in a pistol with live ammo and I swear I go into slow motion...

I like the idea of beep, then transition for dry fire. I need to get my transaction times down.  .4 is a consistent time for me to have a good A ratio of hits. Any faster  and I drop C'S.

3 hours ago, Broncman said:

In one of Stoeger books he has you slap the timer when you hear the beep, just to practice reaction time. In practice I can get it a lot of times during the beep duration. 

Put in a pistol with live ammo and I swear I go into slow motion...

I like the idea of beep, then transition for dry fire. I need to get my transaction times down.  .4 is a consistent time for me to have a good A ratio of hits. Any faster  and I drop C'S.

You slap fast!  People go out for coffee while I'm reacting to the beep.  Or so it feels.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't a plate rack be good practice for this?

I'll tell you what. My transaction times could use some improvement.

Like the other day, for instance, I met this good looking girl at the laundromat. She said, "Come over to my place, there's nobody home. I went over to her place. There was nobody home!" 

Credit to: R. Dangerfield.