Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm OAL

Snowb1rd

Just did the 'drop test' on my Trubor barrel in my STI DVC Open 9 Major...and I get a nice 'clunk' at 1.286" WOW!! No way would I load that long, only leaves 1/8" of the bullet in the case. Even after the Dillon 650 'crimp die' I can wiggle it out by hand. I'm afraid I would have a mag full of powder....

So even though it would be nice to have that much head room in the top of the case, I think for safety reasons I'll have to continue to load shorter. It even fits in the MBX 155mm mags I use! But...how far back do I set the bullets? I'm using 8.4 gr of 3N38 behind a Zero 125 JHP bullet, flashed off with a Federal Small Rifle primer. Getting 1350-1380fps for a 165PF when I seat to 1.170" I'm having trouble getting consistent OAL's with the 650 and Dillon dies...hence my quest for a solution. 

Jim

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2017 at 9:45 PM, jakfrost1 said:

Just did the 'drop test' on my Trubor barrel in my STI DVC Open 9 Major...and I get a nice 'clunk' at 1.286" WOW!! No way would I load that long, only leaves 1/8" of the bullet in the case. Even after the Dillon 650 'crimp die' I can wiggle it out by hand. I'm afraid I would have a mag full of powder....

So even though it would be nice to have that much head room in the top of the case, I think for safety reasons I'll have to continue to load shorter. It even fits in the MBX 155mm mags I use! But...how far back do I set the bullets? I'm using 8.4 gr of 3N38 behind a Zero 125 JHP bullet, flashed off with a Federal Small Rifle primer. Getting 1350-1380fps for a 165PF when I seat to 1.170" I'm having trouble getting consistent OAL's with the 650 and Dillon dies...hence my quest for a solution. 

Jim

I also have the STI DVC 9 Major and I am loading to 1.160 OAL.  I averaged what other people were using and it functions well in the gun.  How is your grouping working for your second shots?  I upped my load to 7.0 grains of CFE  Pistol under a MGB 124gr JHP for an avg 1440 fps since my comp seems to be working better with the faster velocities to keep the dot more stable in my hands.  I am getting a lot more A zone hits with my second shot

STI DVC

124gr MGB

7.0 grs. CFE Pistol

1440 avg FPS

iirc  my  shadow  had  a  tight chamber  but the  mags  were the limiting factor  too. i  was  loading at 1.110  and  i remember  angus  hobdell was  loading for  his  shadow  at 1.095  but THAT WAS  WITH  FIRST GENERATION SHADOWS  THE  SHADOW  2 MIGHT HAVE  DIFFERENT SPECS.....i'm loading at 1.130  for both my G17and G34.

6 hours ago, Banacek said:

I also have the STI DVC 9 Major and I am loading to 1.160 OAL.  I averaged what other people were using and it functions well in the gun.  How is your grouping working for your second shots?  I upped my load to 7.0 grains of CFE  Pistol under a MGB 124gr JHP for an avg 1440 fps since my comp seems to be working better with the faster velocities to keep the dot more stable in my hands.  I am getting a lot more A zone hits with my second shot

STI DVC

124gr MGB

7.0 grs. CFE Pistol

1440 avg FPS

Hmmm....I know you guys shooting 9mm Major are used to pushing it, but 1440 fps with a 124 gr jacketed bullet seems REALLY hot to me.  Or am I just being a wimp?

48 minutes ago, hjweiss said:

Hmmm....I know you guys shooting 9mm Major are used to pushing it, but 1440 fps with a 124 gr jacketed bullet seems REALLY hot to me.  Or am I just being a wimp?

That's only 178 PF so it's not too crazy hot. I run 121's at 1450 and 115's at 1510. 

2 hours ago, hjweiss said:

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

That's only 178 PF so it's not too crazy hot. I run 121's at 1450 and 115's at 1510. 

The bigger question is these guys that are running more than 7.0 grains of CFE or Autocomp and not getting to 1440 fps.  I am wondering if they have popple barrel holes as well as a comp. 

On 9/11/2017 at 10:48 PM, Banacek said:

I am wondering if they have popple barrel holes as well as a comp. 

The V8 and V12 guns with multiple rows of poppleholes like the newer Akais, or the most extreme example, the Tanfoglio Gold Team?

witness-elite-gold-team-tanfoglio_f.jpg

They generally need a lot of extra powder. In fact in the Tanfos case, lots of Open guys caution newbies to buy that gun in 38S, as Major 9 is seriously sketchy when losing that much gas.

(It's built in 9mm for IPSC open shooters, where Major PF = 160.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-09-11 at 3:19 PM, Banacek said:

STI DVC

124gr MGB

7.0 grs. CFE Pistol

1440 avg FPS

Well hard to say since my perspective is limited to my experience with the DVC...I wish there was less movement and I seem to be getting a little 'wiggle' on the (new to me...), backup gun that I don't have one the #1 gun...but I attribute that to the thumb rest on the backup gun being a little farther forward than on the other gun and so I'm not able to apply as much stabilizing force. Maybe I'll just take the thumb rest off of both guns and see how that works :). 

Edited by jakfrost1