Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you have to trim a .40 case?

R1_Demon

never  ever  trimmed  a  pistol brass. no  need for.....i  tried  both dry and  wet tumbling,and sure  enough dry tumbling gives  better  results however  you look at it.  shiny brass  that doesn't stick  inside  the  dies  is what you want.  however  i  always  sprays hornady  one  shot  on my  empty case, the 650  runs  much  smoother  with the  case  lub; not  a  necessity, but  it  makes  a  real  difference  on the machine's  action.

I have never trimmed pistol brass.  As for calipers, IMO well worth the money to spend a couple extra bucks and get one with the Absolute Zero feature.

If it is of any help here is my procedures:

Cleaning:

- I sort my dirty brass using a Berry's brass sorter / media separator

- I put the brass I am about to clean in a large pickle bucket with hot water and a few tablespoons of dawn....let sit for about 1/2 a day.

- Clean the brass in a frankford arsenal wet tumbler with steel pins, lemi-shine and dawn.

- Dry in a franford dryer.

- Store individual calibers of clean brass in pickle buckets (I get them from Home Depot)

When I load: 

- I sort the brass by headstamp and inspect cases.

- Light coat of Hornady One Shot

- After loading I case check each round as I put them in a vibrator case cleaner with corn cob and a little Nu-Shine for 10-15 minutes. (mainly to get case lube off them and put a little shine on them)

- Load into cases and label the case with complete load data.

- Store loaded ammo

BTW:  GrumpyOne give great advise, he has been very helpful to me on several issues.

1 hour ago, DenverDave said:

I have never trimmed pistol brass.  As for calipers, IMO well worth the money to spend a couple extra bucks and get one with the Absolute Zero feature.

If it is of any help here are my procedures:

Cleaning:

- I sort my dirty brass using a Berry's brass sorter / media separator

- I put the brass I am about to clean in a large pickle bucket with hot water and a few tablespoons of dawn....let sit for about 1/2 a day.

- Clean the brass in a frankford arsenal wet tumbler with steel pins, lemi-shine and dawn.

- Dry in a franford dryer.

- Store individual calibers of clean brass in pickle buckets (I get them from Home Depot)

When I load: 

- I sort the brass by headstamp and inspect cases.

- Light coat of Hornady One Shot

- After loading I case check each round as I put them in a vibrator case cleaner with corn cob and a little Nu-Shine for 10-15 minutes. (mainly to get case lube off them and put a little shine on them)

- Load into cases and label the case with complete load data.

- Store loaded ammo

BTW:  GrumpyOne gives great advise, he has been very helpful to me on several issues.

Edited by DenverDave

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, tac_driver said:

I noticed you are missing 1 important item 

from your list

a good set of calipers will come in handy

when setting your OAL (overall case length)

and when measuring your crimp (de-belling)

tac_driver - I forgot to mention that I already picked up the calipers. That is why I didn't put them on the list. I picked up a kinetic bullet puller too. Just in case. LOL!  But thank you for mentioning it. ? 

Been reloading since mid 1980's.... reload at least a dozen cals and own a caliper.... never Ever thought of grabbing it to measure pistol rounds other than COL. 

Well once when my Brian Bilby 45 was stopping on certain brass reloads and I figured it out via caliper measurements.  Many here Never heard of him I am old school. 

HHjr

Edited by HHjr
Col addition