Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Mec Gar mags work in SP-01 Tac.

vinceislander

For 2017, I switched game guns from a P-09 to an SP-01 Tactical.  I noticed two things: random auto-forward when reloading with Mec Gar 18rnd AFC mags that does NOT chamber a round and empty Mec Gar magazine not dropping freely.  I have to strip the magazine out. Both behaviors happens during matches but not during dry or live fire practice.  The two CZ magazines that came with my pistol have none of these issues. Dropping issue may be shooter issue and not mag which is fixable.

I've been spoiled with the P-09. For two years it has run flawlessly with very little cleaning including the magazines. Albeit, the magazines are CZs.  So it maybe the SP-01 is finicky and needs more TLC than I expected. Looks like field strip cleaning after each match including mags. OR my pistol just doesn't like Mec Gar mags.

SP-01 has CGW Pro package installed by CGW.  I polished the feeding ramp and breach face and installed Lok Grips. The mag brake looks and feels flat.

Any other suggestions?

On 5/8/2017 at 8:43 AM, ArrDave said:

Is it when partially loaded or empty? 

I put the stainless brake in my FPB guns because the sheet metal one is the devil. 

So far only when the mag is empty, during a slide lock reload( IDPA :) )   CZCustoms is within driving distance so may pick up their flat mag brake.

On 5/8/2017 at 9:34 AM, rowdyb said:

mecgar mags are dimensionally a little bigger in my experience. i had to remove some material inside my grips to get things to always drop free.

I did notice placing those mags fit tight in holders set for CZ factory mags.   I hope I don't have to go that route and remove material.

18 hours ago, Tok36 said:

Pull the mag break and try inserting a magazine. Remove the grips and try inserting a magazine.

Are you suggesting to run without a mag brake? Or just to perform a function check? Removing the grips might help diagnose where it is sticking.

4 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

I use the 17 round mecgars in my sp01 tac and they run and fit flawless. The ones with the blue follower.

That's what I've read that majority don't have issues with Mec Gars

Pistol stripped, cleaned and oiled.  Mags wiped down with a rag sprayed with Remi CLP.  IDPA match tonight. We shall see.  Ordered factory mags from GregCote. Worst case is I use the Mec Gar mags in another 75 pistol(which I have yet to buy). Come to think of it, they might work well in my P-09 because I know the factory 75 mags rattle a bit in them. Going to give that a try when I get home.

Thanks for all your responses.

Sometimes you can get a Mecgar that is a little bit larger, somewhere in the dimensions.

I bought 8 of the 19 round ones (17's with a plus 2 base).  Two of them were so difficult to insert in my CZ 85 that I elected not to use them.  I had my youngest son check them in his CZ 75 SA and they worked fine.  Two of the 19 round mags. he had were traded back to me for the two my 85 didn't like and they worked fine in my 85.  Pistol issue or magazine issue or just the normal variation unit to unit (mags and pistol) seen in any manufactured items?

Sometimes you can get a Mecgar that is a little bit larger, somewhere in the dimensions.

I bought 8 of the 19 round ones (17's with a plus 2 base).  Two of them were so difficult to insert in my CZ 85 that I elected not to use them.  I had my youngest son check them in his CZ 75 SA and they worked fine.  Two of the 19 round mags. he had were traded back to me for the two my 85 didn't like and they worked fine in my 85.  Pistol issue or magazine issue or just the normal variation unit to unit (mags and pistol) seen in any manufactured items?

Stacking tolerances? I bought 5 of those mags and all work perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've used at least 25 different mec gar nickel plated 17 round mags. Next time you see me I'll show you the ones with a "B" marked on them for "big". I've had at least 6 that I've had to mark like that and they'd only work once I'd sanded or cleaned something up they were rubbing on in one or more of my 75 series guns. When it comes to mags that are sticking you can often find the wear spot/high point with just a little guess, check and refine.

-are the mags contacting the grips?

-are the mags contacting the mag brake?

-is it every mag or specific one(s)?

-full, partially loaded or empty?

-are the mags contacting a protruding mag release spring?

-do you feel this only on insertion or also on removal?

-what is the condition of your mag springs and follower?

-are you trapping the mag with the release? are you trapping the mag in some other way with your technique?

Edited by rowdyb

Try this. Seat a mag. Lock the slide back. Now intentionally push the mag release as hard and quick as possible. It's possible to trap the mag this way, and usually much easier during a match when the adrenaline is flowing. If you manage to trap the mag this way take the magazine release spring out and bend one of the legs to stop excess mag release movement

Here is an update.

After closer inspection, the slide stop looks bent. This caused less of the "nub" to protrude into the gun and allowed the follower to slide up next to it.  Whereas it should be pushing the nub up and locking the slide back.  Because of the binding against the nub, the magazine wouldn't drop freely. Interestingly, I was able to duplicate this more frequently with factory mags than Mec Gars.

Taking a trip to the CZCustom shop on Thursday to do some window shopping and pickup some spare parts including a new slide stop perhaps. I'll call CZ-USA warranty and see if they can send me a new slide stop. 

I still have to figure out why sometimes the top round isn't stripped and chambered when using Mec Gar mags as the slide autoforwards.

IMG_20170512_202240758.thumb.jpg.9a1eccc5524a6b310ea89193c5af6b09.jpgIMG_20170512_210532813.thumb.jpg.b32a936d9f6054081864e73f71bb06ac.jpg

autoforwarding isn't meant to work is why.

say you had a car that you could lock the doors when you left by slamming the door just right. say it worked 95% of the time. would you always lock the door by trying to slam it closed just right? why would you ignore the button in the car that was designed for you to push and lock the door? the same question should be asked about using the slam seat of a magazine to autoforward the slide. why are you ignoring something that is on the gun and designed for this purpose?

also, your picture above on the left, where the magazine follower is bypassing the slide stop portion of the lever it looks to me like it is not fully inserted. the slide stop lever that is. what does the portion of the part that contacts the follower look like when viewed from above?

Edited by rowdyb

how many rounds in the mag when autoforwarding? How many rounds do the mag hold? I found that if the mags aren't fully loaded this can happen. The stack of bullets depress the follower when the mag is slammed in and the slide drops forward skipping over the rounds. I use a magblock so that the mags are simulated to be fully loaded when loaded or with only 10 or 15 rounds (in 19 or 17 round mags)

On 5/16/2017 at 1:00 PM, rowdyb said:

autoforwarding isn't meant to work is why.

say you had a car that you could lock the doors when you left by slamming the door just right. say it worked 95% of the time. would you always lock the door by trying to slam it closed just right? why would you ignore the button in the car that was designed for you to push and lock the door? the same question should be asked about using the slam seat of a magazine to autoforward the slide. why are you ignoring something that is on the gun and designed for this purpose?

also, your picture above on the left, where the magazine follower is bypassing the slide stop portion of the lever it looks to me like it is not fully inserted. the slide stop lever that is. what does the portion of the part that contacts the follower look like when viewed from above?

I don't like it autoforwarding. I want my pistol to be consistent; Ideally, either it happens all the time or none of the time. Some light research suggests the contact surface of the slide stop needs to be shaped in order to affect autoforwarding. For now, I'm not at that level for it to make a different in match results. Silver lining is it will teach me to "listen" for it.

I found that the slide stop can work its way out a bit and below is a picture of it as an extreme example. So two issues: bent slide stop and can work itself out a bit.  Picked up a new slide stop from CZCustoms. New part has some play(but you have to force it) but is more flush than the stock slide stop.  That alone appears to resolve the issue during dry fire. Going to the range today and then a match either tomorrow or Sunday.

IMG_20170518_182648517a.thumb.jpg.c670de62f55a06bbb4715961377fd1ff.jpg

On 5/17/2017 at 2:17 AM, slavex said:

how many rounds in the mag when autoforwarding? How many rounds do the mag hold? I found that if the mags aren't fully loaded this can happen. The stack of bullets depress the follower when the mag is slammed in and the slide drops forward skipping over the rounds. I use a magblock so that the mags are simulated to be fully loaded when loaded or with only 10 or 15 rounds (in 19 or 17 round mags)

I shoot IDPA SSP at the present time. So 90% of my reloads is from slide lock with 10 or 11 rounds in the mags. Interesting product.