Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

secondary sight ( RDS) mounting

ffgats

Hi, whats the consensus on where to mount the RDS , 45 deg?, whats your opinion mounting on top of the main Scope, with this set up I dont have to tilt the rifle at 45deg.  . I will be put in the Open Div. doesnt matter  since my pistol is Open anyways.  thanks

Jack, my pistol 2011 in 9Major is set up as permanent,  Im more interested on my Rifle which has 1-8 variable. thinking of installing a RDS as secondary sight for close range targets to get away with "scope over bore" . Old dogs never learn new tricks?

On top of scope would magnifi the scope over bore issue. 45degree under scope at rear right side for right hand shooter. Very natural

and zero for 25yards.

Edited by AHI

I set up a long range gun with red dot mounted high on the right side to help locate targets.  My open rifle I use a 45 offset mount.  The 45 offset is much faster to use and has the same cheek weld as the main optic.  Just rotate the gun to pick scope or dot.  You can adjust the height of the offset dot as necessary to put it in the same height over bore as the scope and it makes the transition between the optics quick and smooth.

Doug

3 hours ago, Colodrew said:

Doug- what size dot do you prefer and where do you like the 45 degree mount mounted?

Hi Drew,

I prefer a small dot, 2 - 3 moa, that way it's about the same size as my rifle scope's dot.  I put the 45 deg. mount a far back as possible on the right side of the receiver, since I'm right handed.  I zero my side dot at 25 yards.

Doug

On top of the main scope is a LOSER.  The hold off from sight over bore is only magnified on the close range targets WHICH ARE THE VERY TARGETS THAT YOU WILL BE ENGAGING WITH THE RDS!!!

Use a Warne RAMP mount or mount on the hand guard at 45.  I zero for 50 so it's close to the zero of the primary optic.

Personally I prefer a smaller dot.  

Edited by kellyn

On 5/8/2017 at 8:43 AM, ffgats said:

Hi, whats the consensus on where to mount the RDS , 45 deg?, whats your opinion mounting on top of the main Scope, with this set up I dont have to tilt the rifle at 45deg.  . I will be put in the Open Div. doesnt matter  since my pistol is Open anyways.  thanks

i just posted in another  question here, on bbl; length

what u are describing is my every day gun for work.  s&b  & aimpoint on side with larue mount. flipping over a little is just natural.

will never go back where my safety is concerned.    for 3 gun i use a eotec and a 11.5" bbl so doesnt count. its only a game i have fun with. able to try new gear. i still go home.  . the dual  set up is  almost only 1 we use and there are a lot of us.  l.o.l.  nothing faster. turn both on btw.  set the s&b om #8 red dot. aimpoint on about 5/6 mark with red paint in knobs with thin marker. anyway u see u are close.  have always shot with both eyes open anyway

on s&b till 2.5-3x i am still wide open.  only 1  eyed after 200yds @min of scumbag. 6'clock hold on both zero's.

jjw

Edited by jjw