Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammner follow situation

Hammer follows on my 2011, came on rather suddenly to the point where it was happening almost every single round. 

Took apart, sear/hammer looked good, put a bit more tension on the sear spring, gun ran fine for about 300 rounds, then started again. 

Can not get hammer to follow in any dryfire condition (holding the trigger back, etc.)

So I am pretty sure its the searspring, but I have never had one in over 20 years behave like this. 

Yes, no?

I had a new Edge recently that would hammer follow frequently (at least once per mag, sometimes more). Took to my gunsmith and he found out the hammer hooks were below min spec for length and no amount of sear spring adjustments would make it right. Replaced the hammer and gun is perfect. Just something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got a similar situation occuring now with my 2011. The hammer will intermittently follow the slide. Doesn't seem to happen when the gun is horizontal, but seems to happen maybe 1 out of 3 times when the gun is pointed down and the slide is dropped. 

I'm hoping its just the sear spring. When replacing the sear spring whats the best way to get the right amounts of tension on the sear spring arms?

16 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

I'm hoping its just the sear spring. When replacing the sear spring whats the best way to get the right amounts of tension on the sear spring arms?

You should use a trigger gauge to help you.  I used this guide to set my pull weight.  You can adjust it a little bit at a time to get it lower or higher.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10297/GunTechdetail/2-lb-Trigger-Pull

Adjusted the sear and trigger bow part of the sear spring and the hammer follow is gone. The sear spring Thats in there looks to be the Colt variety so I'm going to just get another couple of Those. 

One thing I was thinking was the gun in question was used and the previous owner had the grip safety pinned. I removed the pin and I'm womdering if maybe that could have thrown off the tensions on the sear spring?

• 1 month later...

I had hammer follow problems a while back. My issue turned out to be from the grip screw bushings. The thin flange on the frame side of the bushing was cracking out around the center part of the bushing. This allowed the polymer frame to tilt, causing the sear spring to move to the side  and disengage the sear. Therefore, not reseting  the sear, causing the hammer to follow. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

-GB3

• 1 month later...

Pick up a good sear and have a gunsmith look at your hammer hooks to make sure they are a crisp 90%. If not you can buy a good hammer like the (Doug) Koenig hammer. These hammers are always cut correctly or have your smith stone the hammer hooks to a smooth and perfect 90% edge. Good luck.

This is the broken bushing that was causing my grip to move away from my frame, causing my hammer follow issue. Not that it matters here any more, this might help someone else diagnose a problem in the future.

bushings.JPG

Loose grip screws can play havoc on you ignition system also. I check em before I shoot a match and when I clean her after each time I finish shooting.

Edited by a matt

Krym and Doc, you are not dropping the slide, from slide lock on a empty chamber repeatedly are you?  On a 1911/2011 this will destroy a trigger job/hammer relatively quickly (sometimes within 10-20 drops).

So Im thinking the best way to check for hammer follow is to actually shoot the gun. Correct? 

3 hours ago, AZGunut said:

Krym and Doc, you are not dropping the slide, from slide lock on a empty chamber repeatedly are you?  On a 1911/2011 this will destroy a trigger job/hammer relatively quickly (sometimes within 10-20 drops).

I had some similar problems with my Edge.  hammer follow, changed sear spring.  Then I was getting light strikes, like 1 per mag.  Today an empty mag wouldn't drop, that's when I decided to check the grip screws.  Might try some blue locktight, each side was over a turn out, I only shot 2000 rounds since having this apart.