Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decocking a Shadow for production

AussieTactical

I'm not one of these grizzled old Shadow shooters, so maybe I take a different perspective. USPSA/IPSC is probably the most difficult practical pistol sport (by miles), and Production division (along with Single Stack/Classic) is arguably the most difficult division. For a 12 year old's first gun my concern would be that you are really throwing him in at the deep end - manual decock or not.  That's an awful lot to handle. If Production is your/his preferred division, get him a Shadow and let him shoot Standard cocked and locked for a season. Work on the stage planning and decocking offline. Pull him back into Production and manual decocking after he's built up some confidence and familiarity with the sport. 

Regardless, you might want to let him try out a P10 or P09 as well, as others have suggested. He might prefer a lighter gun.

Edited by gavagai

I've been shooting an sp01 is USPSA production for a little over a year now and have not had a problem manually dropping the hammer. 

I do reposition my strong hand and use both hands to complete the task but its a piece of cake. Just do some dry practice and you'll be fine. 

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

that still hurts

I imagine a dark, smoke-filled bar. Shot glasses lined up like a Can You Count classifier. Of course, there's a table of 1911 guys too, bickering over where to build the local monument to JMB, their conversation punctuated with choruses of "praised be his name". The door opens and a pimple faced young'un (that would be me) stands in the doorway sporting a P10-C and mags facing the wrong way in their pouches. Y'all turn and squint against the light momentarily and then, without acknowledgement, resume your conversation, swapping stories about when you DQ'ed in '95.

Edited by gavagai

I'm sure I'll get some hate here being in the CZ forum but I think having him run a striker gun in limited minor would be the best way to start out. It is the best to get him focusing on stage planning and shooting fundamentals with out having to worry to much about realoads or safety's/decocking he can just focus on becoming a better shooter. There's a 14 year old kid that runs a glock 34 In Production by me and he absolutely kills it. He's usually top 10 overall out of 50-60 shooters.

I'm sure I'll get some hate here being in the CZ forum but I think having him run a striker gun in limited minor would be the best way to start out. It is the best to get him focusing on stage planning and shooting fundamentals with out having to worry to much about realoads or safety's/decocking he can just focus on becoming a better shooter. There's a 14 year old kid that runs a glock 34 In Production by me and he absolutely kills it. He's usually top 10 overall out of 50-60 shooters.

I know a kid 9 years old running a Glock 34 in production. He hasn't come in last ever lol.

By the time hes 14 he'll be a master lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

I'm sure I'll get some hate here being in the CZ forum but I think having him run a striker gun in limited minor would be the best way to start out.

If it is a kid from the wife's first marriage then I could see that, especially if he is red headed. 

On 5/7/2017 at 8:41 PM, AussieTactical said:

So I am leaning toward a CZ Shadow 2 for IPSC production class, but I also need to buy a first handgun for my 12 year old son who wants to compete with me. I was planning to get us two identical handguns, but then I realised for production class at least, he is going to have to decock the CZ for his first shot each time. This seems like an AD waiting to happen. So not I am thinking he either needs to shoot in a class that allows him to start cocked and locked, or select a DA only hand gun. Or is there a third option that I am missing that would let him shoot a DA/SA CZ in production safely?

What prevents him from shooting the Shadow 2 in Standard Division then changing to Production later as he becomes more comfortable with firearm manipulations? Even though I have large hands, the S2 was literally made for smaller handed shooters. You can always add a thicker grip panel if he grows into the pistol later but starting out with a thin grip that actually fits young hands is extremely important for recoil control. However, the one thing that trumps all of that is how HE feels shooting the gun. Try to gather up as many friends as it takes to get him a buffet of choices and see if the Shadow 2 actually is the "Golden Gun" for you both. 

Yes, agree. He could potentially shoot Standard and swap over to Production in the future. And, yes I agree that he needs more time with CZs before we decide anything. 

He did shoot a CZ last weekend and liked it, but its still very early days. Either fortunately or unfortunately, we still have months to go before we need to make any final decision on what we buy.