Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting Up AK47 for Match Use

Looking to set up one of my bone stock AK47's for 3 gun / tactical rifle type matches.  Specifically I want to set it up for Red October type matches --- AK vs. AK (etc.).  Have a WASR(10) and a C39V2.

Looking for experienced opinions/advice: 

Mag length for monopodding?  30 or 40 round?  For a fat American.

Would a different floor plate (like the Magpuls) help for monopodding or reloading (as in grabbing)? 

Best mag pouch?

Best mag couplers?

Best tactical legal (1x3") compensator for AK?  I think my barrels have the smaller thread.

Best safety?  Is the Krebs the only one?

Iron sight mods?

Best mount for 1-4/6X variable?  Both rifles have the factory side mount.

Any other mods?

Any AK specific must have accessories?

Thanks.

Down in Corpus Christi at the Starry range they shoot a division called "Todd AK". There were 5 of them on our squad with various configurations of AK's I didn't even think were possible.

The rifles handled like .223's even though they were 7.62x39's. Pretty impressive.

Hopefully one of them will chime in. If not, contact the match director for some info. It's the Pirates of Texas annual carbine championship.

If you are talking specifically about Red Oktober, read their rules carefully as that document will dictate your equipment options. IIRC most divisions require iron sights and 30 round magazines. I believe the distances they shoot are not very long either, so I am not sure you would make much use of monopodding and other such tactics (but if you do, make sure your gun is reliable in that mode).

For me the AK platform is not a serious competition gun, so it is more about having a great time with a bunch of friends and winning bragging rights. I have entered the Red Oktober match, and I will be taking my pseudo-Krink SBR in 5.56. It's not super accurate, but it is reliable, soft in recoil, runs my reloads (non-steel jacketed), and is an absolute a hoot to shoot - it gives off an awesome muzzle flash. I built it from a Yugo PAP M85 pistol, using a Tapco G2 trigger for US parts; there are better match-grade triggers available if you feel the need.

The only competition modifications I have made are to the magazines; I have trimmed the followers on a few 30 rounders so they hold 34 rounds (can help avoid a reload in matches that allow >30 rounds), and I have cinched two magazines together with 100mph tape, using a piece of wood as a spacer. I carry my magazines in generic HSGI TACOs.

Were I to feel the urge to build a dedicated competition AK, on my way back from the brain scan I would be looking through Gunbroker etc. for a Valmet in 5.56... probably the best AK-variant available (unless you count the SIG 55x series, which most do not). It would be like Usain Bolt competing in the Special Olympics.

DIVISION choice will limit what you can use.  Both listed guns with no optics and 30rd mags will put you in Heavy Kalash division. Add and optic or 40rd mag and welcome to OPEN Kalash division.

You seek the "AK operators union 4774 (AKOU)" YouTube channel and store.

These guys have the better selector lever (on the AK it is a dust cover), and muzzle devices for you to choose from.

RS regulate for optic mounting system. lots of options for type of optic being used.  AKOU has em all and some interesting package deals of mount and optics.

Personally a 30rd mags should be sufficient for the match.  For coupling mags together: use a bit of wood and lots of tape. just remember to offset them or you wont be able to charge the weapon on the reload.

I too plan to be at the ROK-2017 match.

Th Red Oktober match from last year was a blast! Here is my build thread and match video from last year's match:

If you want to see how it is done watch Samuel Travis' match from last year. He won HOA with a chopped, pinned and welded iron sighted 7.62. 

I shot Heavy Kalash, so I used irons and 30 round PMags with the Magpul coupler. I used HSGI Taco pouches, which work pretty well, but can snag on the lip of the AK mag. I used the coupler for most stages but most guys I saw were reloading from the belt. I monopodded on one stage and the 30 round mag height was great (I'm 6', 220 lbs, for reference).

The ALG AKT is very good for the money. I'm planning on doing some work to my front sight base to get it square and pinning and welding one of the SJC AK Titans to replace the stock AMD65 comp.

The big differences in setup for next year depend on if they do a night stage again. IIRC last year's was tossed due to the light not being controlled to provide competitive equity. If they do, I would strongly consider some flash suppression and definitely get some white light on the gun. The guys with good lights and/or dots were ripping through the stage with no issues like it was broad daylight. After 6 or 8 shots my eyes were toast, and I don't think I even cleared half the targets before I timed out. I probably wont get anything fancy, maybe just rig up a handheld Surefire but that light makes the sights stand out on the plates. 

In terms of safeties and other details, I went with the stock parts for now. They had a lot of cool vendors last year with demo guns, suppressors, parts, etc which might give you a chance to go hands on with some of the other parts you are looking at. 

It sounds dumb, but I would take whichever of your AKs is most reliable. Lots of guys had gun or mag issues. I liked the light, stamped, and shortened gun I shot because it let me run coupled mags without getting too heavy.

On 5/16/2017 at 0:18 AM, Dr Mitch said:

Red dot on an Ultimak gas tube rail.  Done.

That mount cooked my last 2 red dot ( Holosun and Aimpoint). 

I shot my AK in one match only and I had it set up pretty simple (just above mentioned red dot and a PWS brake). It was a lot of fun just like that. Practice magazine changes though. 

The reload wasn't really a factor in last years match. There was plenty of room to reload between target arrays when necessary.  I also don't think there were any times you had to go prone.  It was a pretty simple, straight forward match.  Which was good for the majority of the competitors for whom this was their first competitive match.  

Bladetech makes a good belt-mounted mag pouch.  As for the night match, light on the gun, and a wider rear sight notch are a must.  

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...