Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open vs H.O.S.T. weights

Gentlemen, 

I picked up a 2011 for the first time out of curiosity..... NOW I AM HOOKED. If they were priced like glocks i would just buy both... but they arent so i have to start with one.... 

My question to you folks is i am between a DVC open or steel depending if i want to use it to compete but the work schedule isnt conducive to competitions or located anywhere near anything.... (jobsite is 60 miles from nowhere) I like the idea of the HOST but my FNX 45 doesnt even host anything yet. The 9mm major could prove problematic until i get home near my reloading equip.  

So do i go with the HOST and get a can in jail or just rock some hearing protection and shoot the Steel or open. Will be mostly used when able to set up a run and gun course of fire. wondering if anyone here has used both who could give me so pros and cons. 

Thanks alot! 

I just ordered my DVC open. What is H.O.S.T.?

Leo,
In believe he is referring to one of STI's new offerings that is milled for a red dot and comes with a threaded barrel.

OP,
Tough decision. I would think you need to decide what you want it for or which one you would be more proud to own. I'm more competition driven lately so I would have to lean towards the DVC. Not being able to reload could be problematic though.

If you're not going to compete, I don't see much use for a gun designed 100% for a particular type of competition.  Especially if you're not going to be reloading anytime soon.  If you want to shoot suppressed or have a gun that is more versatile, I'd go with the host.  All depends on what you want to do with it.    

i have a 650 a 1050 and an AP back in Colorado. Next time i am home i could work and load up and have my buddies stamp out the ammo for me (price of borrowing all my reloading stuff). I was liking the lightened slide of the DVC tactical but i wish it had the premilled slide. I am scared the finish will be ruined if i send the dvc tactical under the mill. I think i am going to go with the tactical and if the 2011 bug sticks i will probably do what i always seem to do.....

Dive in head first and wonder why my wallet feels so light! Since high end bolt guns NFA and ww2 vehicles arent expensive enough hobbies as it is. Might as well add high end pistols to the bunch. 

But like they say there are only 3 types of guns to buy. 1) nice guns 2) old guns & 3) nice old guns! 

One thing i would like to know, if i go with the tactical over the host will the bull barrel make it pickier on ammo if i need to buy off the shelf ammo? Once i get done down here i could load 9mm as fast as i could pull the handle with the 1050...

60 miles is nothing- for years I drove to one club over 100 miles away- when gas went to 3.00 plus I had to stop- 

Any way- if your not doing competitions don't go with an open gun-  I just ordered a DVC open today- but two

matches are less than 8 miles from me!