Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some help with my 308 reloads

MrRick

Took out my Aero Precision 308 rifle to test it and try out my ladder test. Started with factory ammo and it ran beautifully. Ran Noslers and Hornady with Hornady giving me 1" 5 shot groups. Went to do my reloads and bolt doesn't go into battery. It did it on all my reloads. No rifling marks on the bullets. After sling shooting the bolt home, finally got it to chamber and shot my first set of 5. Went to shoot my 6th round and I had a pierced primers. The other 5 were about to pop too. 

Reloads details 

Using PMC brass

RCBS F/L sizing die on a Lee Breech Lock

Sierra 168 BTHP Matchkings

CFE-223 (47, 47.4 gr)

CCI LRP. 

OAL 2.79

Reloading data from Hodgdon is 46.6 to 49gr with said bullet and OAL of 2.8". 

Rifle has 24" bull barrel and headspace checks good. It has a CMC trigger. Only happens with my reloads. Factory ammo no issues. 

IMG_0117.JPG

Edited by MrRick

So your problems are:

1. Not chambering your reloaded rounds.

2. It's popping primers.

Right?

Measure the cases from the factory rounds that you fired from your rifle.  And then measure the cases of any unfired reloads you have.

I personally like the 308 RCBS mic.  But a number of people get the Hornady because it covers more cartridges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574297/rcbs-precision-mic-308-winchester

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gauge-5-bushing-set-with-comparator

For a semi-auto I usually do .003" bump.  So whatever your fired cases from the factory rounds are measure at... you bump the shoulder .003" back on your reloaded rounds.

See if that fixes your problem with the popped primers and chambering problems.

Based on the info you gave i'd check the following:

1.  case trim length (2.005" per Hornady 7th ed. manual)

2.  Resizing Die & press are set correctly

3. Resizing Die is not defective 

Also...IMO it's better to measure your chamber/bullet COL combination with something like a Hornady O.A.L. gage than going just by the book numbers...but since you said there were no rifling marks on your bullets i'm assuming COL is not an issue.  

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot that I had this here. Yes my die wasn't sizing right in the Lee press. The Lee press doesn't cam over. Moved the die to my LnL and everything is good now. 

Forgot that I had this here. Yes my die wasn't sizing right in the Lee press. The Lee press doesn't cam over. Moved the die to my LnL and everything is good now. 

How much are you bumping the shoulder back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't have a way to accurately measure it. I know I had to turn the die down more than what the instructions call for though. Instruction calls for 1/4 turn after it touches the plate. I had to do a full turn. This is only with PMC and LC brass. All others are fine. I used a Lyman case gauge and they fit perfectly. Made a few dummy rounds and they are going into battery now. Haven't tried to shoot the PMC brass yet though. Best 5 shoot group of the day using Winchester brass, Sierra MK 168gr BTHP with 47.8grs of CFE-223 seated at 2.79. 

IMG_2430.JPG