Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer TS 140mm base pads?

obsessiveshooter

Hi all,

Anyone have experience with this Springer base pads for the TS?

I only have three extended magazines and I will have a match in a few weeks that has 60 round stages. I need to get some more base pads and all mine are CZ Custom, but they've been out of stock forever. I trust the CZC pads. Don't know if I should trust the Springers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I just emailed. A while back I signed up for in-stock notification for both the black and silver pads, but never got notice.
When I went TS instead of 2011, people said parts availability might bite me. Here we go!

Hi all,
Anyone have experience with this Springer base pads for the TS?
I only have three extended magazines and I will have a match in a few weeks that has 60 round stages. I need to get some more base pads and all mine are CZ Custom, but they've been out of stock forever. I trust the CZC pads. Don't know if I should trust the Springers.

Sheesh where is this match?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have both. CZC have the advantage if you need to clean your mag during the match. I have no seating issues with the CZC small magwell using the Springers. They are slightly lighter than the CZC items.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have to drop my mags in dust on several stages.  I want base pads I can take off with no tools.  So it's CZC for me.  I've learned the hard way.  Whether TS or 2011 mags, if you drop them in dust, disassemble and clean before using again.

I have to drop my mags in dust on several stages.  I want base pads I can take off with no tools.  So it's CZC for me.  I've learned the hard way.  Whether TS or 2011 mags, if you drop them in dust, disassemble and clean before using again.

This is why I like tti basepads. I use my knuckle to lower/raise the pin.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I ordered 6 SP basepads last week, in a backordered color. I don't think the set screw will be a big deal, I keep an Allen key set in my range bag anyway. It's not like we're cleaning mags on the clock. At $37.50/ea, including the Grams spring and follower, it was much cheaper to outfit the 6 mags I have for my TSO. 

Edited by RigPig

I have all three of the bases from SP. Thw 140, the 170, and the plain for 20 rounds.

They have been good so far and I haven't had a problem with the set screws. But I am keeping an eye on them, as it seems a perfect hit to that area could damage them.

Would love to try the CZC, but whenever I have the cash they almost never have what I need. Or if they do, it's not on their website.

18 hours ago, Timido said:

Guy on " USPSA Handfun Gear yard sale" Facebook page had 3 springers for sale for $90 

That guy is me...i still have em.  Not sure what the rules are about hawking your gear here so please delete if this is a no-no.  

• 4 weeks later...

I will say after using the Springer TS pads for only one match, the retention with the set screw is a terrible design. The screw fits so tightly to the lip of the mag body that the screw threads engage the mag body and it takes zero effort to round out the hex socket of the set screw. They came with extra set screws, I should've known that was a bad sign from the start. I replaced two set screws from the word "go", installing the pads and backing out the screws to retain the pad was enough to round out the socket. There is a thread locking compound on the threads from the manufacturer, and I don't think this helps the stripping issue. The hex driver they send with the pads is next to useless, it rounds off promptly as well, within the first couple uses installing the pads. 

If I were to do it again, I'd go with the CZCs. I sat down to clean mags after a USPSA this weekend and had one set screw that rounded out before I could get it recessed far enough to remove the pad. Now I've got a mag with a basepad that won't come off. Sweet.

Edited by RigPig

Mine  came with no spare screws; and I'm now missing one I had to go through some effort to remove that stripped screw also.

I cleaned all the locktite like material  out of the threads and covered my remaining screws with anti-seize lubricant. Somehow one set screw still got stuck (during the RM300) that dirty magazine became my barney and my barney (the one missing the set screw) went into my belt.

While I like them ok, if you can get CZCs do so, I wish TTI would make some for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If my magazine touches dirt, I'm disassembling it and cleaning it. With the Springer design, they sound doomed from the start if you disassemble often. CZC is the way to go.

Are there some sort of hardened set screws out there to help with this?