Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sanctioned USPSA Matches

tanks

There is a local club that holds a USPSA sanctioned (they are a USPSA member as a club and hold level 1 matches) matches once a month. However, they will not disclose the location of the match to non-members of their shooting club. Now, if one finds the place yeah they can shoot it.

Is that legal? I thought the matches had to be open and accessible  to public.

PRINCIPLES of USPSA Competitions

1. Practical competition is open to all reputable persons without regard to occupation. It may specifically not be limited to public servants.

It would be interesting to hear what reasons they have to keep their match super secret.  

And there is no reason you can't publish the date and location of the match here on the forum .  I've done it to help drum up shooters for new matches in our area.

Yeah, I think it is disingenuous to say it is a USPSA match, even advertise it and not disclose the location of the match. They do post an email link to get directions to the match location but they do not respond to any messages (at least not on two separate locations I have emailed them).

Wow that's just stupid.  If you want to be so exclusive then why be apart of a national organization.  Can't understand having a sanctioned match if your not going to be inclusive to the organization that sanctions it.  :blink:  Thats special. 

One of the concerns from a former gopher was basically "Loose lips sink ships" (consider that this range is in California). I'm not sure if that's how the leadership there sees it, so no comment on that/them.

Then again, I noted that the idea of no one in the 6+ Million people in the vicinity (many of whom may be anti-gun) not being able to find the range is wishful thinking.

I was able to take the cocktail napkin map on their website and use Google maps to find it in 10 minutes. That was years ago. Now Google put a pin on the map for their parking lot.

I'm sure that the shooters there are great people and that they run great matches. I've shot with some of them before at other ranges. I'm just worried that the idea of giving directions only through email as the primary control method or vetting process is a bit out of touch when considering technology.

Edited by Rez805
My grammar sucks today.

How many ranges can there be in the area? Unless they build a secret range in  a cave somewhere.. Can't be that hard to find if you really wanted to shoot it

20 hours ago, Rez805 said:

... I'm just worried that the idea of giving directions only through email as the primary control method or vetting process is a bit out of touch when considering technology.

Well, the MD got in touch with me through a third party. It seems that the web email link has been broken, at least 6 months based on my emails to them, and was not forwarding the emails requesting directions to the MD. A situation I am told that is being addressed.