Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there any danger with using very small powder charges?

GringoBandito

I am in the process of developing a PCC load and have found that 3.0 grains of powder work exceptionally well out of a 16 in barrel..Per the reloading book, the minimum powder charge would typically be 3.7 grains of powder. Are there any major risks I need to be aware of?

The cases are dirty, there is no unburnt powder, primers look fine, and round is very accurate and soft shooting

There are only a couple of risks that come to mind and they may or may not concern you. Certain powders like h110 have been known to detonate at below minimum charges. It would also depend on how careful of a loader you are. 3 grains is real easy to overlook a double charge. What caliber and what kind of powder are you using?

My match load is 3.0 gr N320 under 147 gr plated RN bullet. Pour that out into your scales and its just not much powder. Its a 132 PF load.

So far I've not had the nerve to go any lower and do not see a reason to.  When reloading I do a visual check on EVERY case to assure no double charges. Since I'm not into speed reloading, all is good.

Bill

5 minutes ago, Nugget said:

There are only a couple of risks that come to mind and they may or may not concern you. Certain powders like h110 have been known to detonate at below minimum charges. It would also depend on how careful of a loader you are. 3 grains is real easy to overlook a double charge. What caliber and what kind of powder are you using?

Thanks of the reply. I am loading 9mm with 147 berry's and am using CFE. Occasionally, I use n320 and have to reduce the load quite a bit with that powder as well. I use 2.5 grains of n320 with the same bullet. 

11 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

My match load is 3.0 gr N320 under 147 gr plated RN bullet. Pour that out into your scales and its just not much powder. Its a 132 PF load.

So far I've not had the nerve to go any lower and do not see a reason to.  When reloading I do a visual check on EVERY case to assure no double charges. Since I'm not into speed reloading, all is good.

Bill

What's your oal? What gun are you shooting that out of? I can't see that load making a 132pf

2 hours ago, Bullets said:

What's your oal? What gun are you shooting that out of? I can't see that load making a 132pf

Its a 16" Palmetto State Armory.  Due to the chamber, I have to load 1.085".  Average velocity over a Prochrono was 905 fps.

I don't think you have anything to worry about especially loading that short.  I'm loading 3.1 of E3 and it's 140+ PF in my 16" JP Barrel.  I'm just living with that, I don't want different piles of ammo for my different 9mm game guns.  I'm running the 135 TC NLG blue bullet at 1.135".

Edited by Shadowrider