Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

favorite bbi 180 and 200 major load

tcazes

On 6/10/2017 at 4:59 PM, Superpipe9 said:

Blue Bullets 180gr with 4.3gr of ramshot competition gets 172pf out of my CZ TSO and I get 2" off hand groups at 20yrds. Use code (moser) at checkout for a discount if you want to try them. 

What OAL do you use?  I just tried some tonight at 4.4 ram comp at 1.135 and barely made 165PF.

59 minutes ago, FlightMedic376 said:

What OAL do you use?  I just tried some tonight at 4.4 ram comp at 1.135 and barely made 165PF.

1.145OAL, made 171.5 PF at the last chrono and that was 4.3gr of ramshot competition 

dang. i load to 1.133 so im curious as to what mine will chrono at being short.... if this darn tropical storm would just go away already so that i could test ammo!!!

Just finished chrono'ing some 180gr loads for my CZ TSO.  These were all loaded with Prima V powder at 4.3 gr and 1.125 OAL

Bullet            Charge    Velocity    SD    PF
Bayou 180    4.3            949.1    5.1    170.838
BBI 180         4.3            950.1    6.4    171.018
BBI 180         4.3               943    6.5    169.74
Bayou 180    4.3            953.9    7.2    171.702

Edited by muncie21

I'll be spending a full day tomorrow testing reloads since my local range is all of 10 minutes from me so I'll put it in the op, for future Google searchers,  as well as back here. Thanks for the info everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm seeing conflicting data. 

For 200gr bbi and n320 where should I start? 4.3 or 4.8? Oal of 1.135 is what I usually run but I can load out to about 1.157 if need be. 

N320 4.2gr 1.155oal 200gr BBI was 168.2pf last time that load was chronoed 

With a shorter oal I would start at 4.0 with 200gr bbi and n320

Edited by GJGary

On 6/20/2017 at 10:25 PM, tcazes said:

So 310 is a very hot rifle powder. It's not recommended for handguns last I checked. I personally loved it for 9 minor and feel it's excellent if you are very careful. 

320 is the universal best handgun powder I feel. It has a wide tuning window, clean, and no muzzle flash/smoke. 

FYI -- N310 is not a rifle powder.  Rifles powders are much slower burning than pistol powders.  N310 is Vihatvuori's fastest burning pistol powder.  It's the opposite end of the spectrum from rifle powders.  The reason you see no data for N310 with .40 is that it's such a fast burner that it'snot well-suited for high-pressure cartridges like 9mm and .40, and is better-suited to lower pressure cartridges like .45ACP.

It would benefit you to get some ideas on what powders are appropriate for .40 major with 180 and 200 grain bullets on your own by looking at the different powder manufacturers' published load data, and look at what powders will get you into the velocity range you want to be in within the upper half of their load windows with the bullets you might want to use.  

By all means, also ask here, as you have.  I'm not suggesting you don't.  But you would do yourself good to gain some basic knowledge of what powders are appropriate.  

Between your thinking N310 is a rifle powder and your listing N320 and Autocomp as your two most likely choices for .40 major, I'm not sure you have a good working knowledge of what powders are appropriate for what applications, and you can get that from studying load data.  N320 and Autocomp are significantly different powders and aren't generally useful for the same purpose.  N320 might be about the perfect burn rate for .40 major, but Autocomp is quite slow burning and not as well-suited for .40 major.  It's usable, but not ideal.  Autocomp's starting loads with 180gr bullets are around PF 174/175.  That's Autocomp's starting load.  You don't want to be at or under starting load.

Seriously, study some load data.  It will help.   ;) 

From the last 10 years of reloading I have done and competing I have plenty of info on load data and can damn near recite the Lyman manuals. I have always been told such about 310. Never bothered to look into it much so I guess the criticism is due for passing on my misinformation. I used 310 for 9mm minor and loved it. 

As far as 320 vs autocomp, they may be vastly different but I know for a fact I have been using autocomp for thousands of major rounds for open guns and frankly love it for limited major. It's been fantastic. But 320 burns cleaner so I am going back to it. Plus, I load minor with 320 so it would be nice to have everything with the same powder. 

The main thing I'd like to see is people's data for 200gr and n320. I have a few k 200gr rounds that I'd prefer to use. I have some 180s I could play with but I prefer the feeling of the 200s

Edited by tcazes

People use Autocomp in Open for the greater gas mass to operate the comp.  In .40 major, Autocomp's extra gas mass is just going to net you extra recoil.  You may like it, but my guess is that you would like a powder that's a little faster even more. ;) 

33 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

People use Autocomp in Open for the greater gas mass to operate the comp.  In .40 major, Autocomp's extra gas mass is just going to net you extra recoil.  You may like it, but my guess is that you would like a powder that's a little faster even more. ;) 

Correct. I'm hoping 320 is the ticket for me. I don't want to go to 180s but I'll load some up to try as well 

1 hour ago, cheers623 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack thread...rambling mind and old age. Moving post to separate thread. Sorry...

Not gonna lie I thoroughly enjoyed reading it though! I wish I had land to test on!

I chronoed 3 different n320 loads today trying some new powder coated bullets. I'll post the data tonight. I plan to compare them to the Bbi's I normally run next week. I noticed quite a few differences right off the bat. I'll discuss that later!

ok so my winning 320 load is 200gr bbi out of my 5" briley customs limited gun with bushing barrel

4.1 n320 1.16 OAL 840 863 839 844 844 860 860 860 866 853 865 868             866/839 171.033  

i also tried some powder coated bullets to compare to the hitek coating and this is the result

4.1 n320 1.16 OAL 851 854 844 848 849 845 847 832 859 841 849 843             859/832 169.366

so evidently the hitek coating is a little quicker.

Edited by tcazes

• 2 months later...

Well, American, I guess you got one "no taker" on TG.  LOL!  I know others have mentioned the smoking issue here under coated bullets and others have said it isn't that bad.  I don't know as I have never shot coated bullets over TG (or anything yet, for that matter).  So, I can't comment.  Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with TG and I'm about to try N320 as I just bought a pound to try and I'm looking to pick up a pound of Sport Pistol to try as well because I heard it is very similar to N320, but at a lower price.  So, I will be making rounds of all three of them and chrono and comparing them for my needs.  Not that this matters to you, but since I'm already typing, I just kind of put it in there.  LOL!!!  :goof: :roflol:

On 10/7/2017 at 7:42 PM, tcazes said:

we pick on a local guy that he could shoot faster if he would just finally switch powders so that he didnt have to wait for the smoke cloud to clear before moving on lol

Awwww...poor local guy.  LOL!