Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

favorite bbi 180 and 200 major load

tcazes

looking for everyones favorite loads for shooting limited major running bbi 180's or 140s. need to start getting some loads together to figure out what i want. right now my powder choices im leaning towards are n320 or autocomp. will be shot out of a briley custom limited gun.

Well I went with

200gr bbi over

4.9gr of autocomp

oal of 1.13

crimp at .420 

Holy cow I love this load. I had some unburnt powder left behind but I need to chrono this load. It was super accurate and soft shooting. I sure hope this is somewhere In the 170pf range because it felt AMAZING compared to the 185 blazer and 165 Winchester I had to shoot while waiting on my new press. That's a whole nother story going from an sdb to 650 with bullet feeder and case feeder lol

4.3 WSF with 200 grain bayou bullet

169 PF with 5.5 barrel

clean burning and very soft

3.9 WST with same combo

167 PF.   Very soft 

4.0 WST with same combo

175 PF  

1.170 length 

all three loads shoot great in several different guns 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 7:14 PM, Bullets said:

4.6gr titegroup with a plated 180 1.135. 171 power factor

Bullets, what length barrel was this through?  I'm thinking of using this combo on my XDm 5.25" with Hornady 180gr XTP HP plated bullets to make major. 

On 5/27/2017 at 6:43 PM, R1_Demon said:

Bullets, what length barrel was this through?  I'm thinking of using this combo on my XDm 5.25" with Hornady 180gr XTP HP plated bullets to make major. 

XTP are a bit spendy, IMO I would look at some of the coated options. I'm in the same boat as you (sort of) just getting in to USPSA, but not new to loading.

For instance you could go on >>shooters connection<< and get 500 bullets for a few bucks more then what 200 of the Hornady XTP are going to cost you. ETA: (just used that link because I had them open in another tab already)

Edited by Wolfmetalfab

Wolfmealtfab - I appreciate it.  Ya, I didn't know at the time and I got all my stuff from one place when I bought my reloading equipment, so I just purchased 500 bullets at that time.  Then I ended up reading on here about the better pricing on the coated bullets and such, so my next purchase will be that option. :)  But I appreciate the heads up.  However, because I purchased the Hornady press and die set, I'm getting another 700 bullets sent to me for free (well, I pay shipping, but that is a lot less than paying for them), so I will still be using the XTP HP bullets at a later date once I actually get them shipped to me (like 8-12 weeks or something).  So, I figured it won't hurt to get this info because I'll still be getting them and using them. :) 

Well, thats a good reason to shoot them up, in the mean time check out the other coated bullet company and maybe pick up some sample packs and play with some load work ups to see what feels good and what the gun likes before you run out of the free bullets. Nice to have all the leg work done ahead of time vs going oh crap I have 50rds left and a shoot coming up, like me, shoot tomorrow night and no loads worked up, one win white box left and a bunch of factory tactical loads that I really don't want to use up. 

On 6/7/2017 at 4:45 PM, Wolfmetalfab said:

Well, thats a good reason to shoot them up, in the mean time check out the other coated bullet company and maybe pick up some sample packs and play with some load work ups to see what feels good and what the gun likes before you run out of the free bullets. Nice to have all the leg work done ahead of time vs going oh crap I have 50rds left and a shoot coming up, like me, shoot tomorrow night and no loads worked up, one win white box left and a bunch of factory tactical loads that I really don't want to use up. 

LOL!  That sounds exactly like something I would do. LOL!  I appreciate the heads up. ???

• 2 weeks later...

Try loading the 180 gr BBIs with 4.3 grains of N320, 1.180 oal and see what your power factor is.  I normally save N320 for JHP loads for majors, but used some for our state match.  4.7 grains gave me 174 pf.  4.3 should be perfect. 

I have two questions.

1. Do most use 340 for 200s. I see most of you listing 320 which is great because I have it.  Any reason why 320 over 340. 

2. The amount of crimp would effect the overall FPS correct.  

Didnt mean to hyjack the thread sorry sorry if I did.  

Edited by HerdThinner

So 310 is a very hot rifle powder. It's not recommended for handguns last I checked. I personally loved it for 9 minor and feel it's excellent if you are very careful. 

320 is the universal best handgun powder I feel. It has a wide tuning window, clean, and no muzzle flash/smoke.