Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Romeo1 for X5?

chopinlover

Hi, I tried to find descriptions of the differences between models of romeo1, but there seems almost nothing online available. So which model should I choose for X5? SOR11000, SOR11001 or  SOR11005? Thanks!

It's all the same dot. The only difference is the mount. Any should work for the X5 since no mount is needed. I will try to find out whether the screws for the X5 would be included. 

If you checked on optics Planet you can see the that the first one is expected to come in stock in the next few weeks whereas the others are further out. 

I have literally been watching for a year for these to ship seperatly. This is morning was the first time I saw one being sold alone but it looks to be an RX takeoff that's on ebay. I think they popularity of the RX guns has kept SIG prioritizing Romeo1s for complete guns but now that the X guns are shipping they really need to make these available. 

In other news Springer Precision is working on adapter plates and has some prototypes now. 

1 minute ago, alma said:

It's all the same dot. The only difference is the mount. Any should work for the X5 since no mount is needed. I will try to find out whether the screws for the X5 would be included. 

If you checked on optics Planet you can see the that the first one is expected to come in stock in the next few weeks whereas the others are further out. 

I have literally been watching for a year for these to ship seperatly. This is morning was the first time I saw one being sold alone but it looks to be an RX takeoff that's on ebay. I think they popularity of the RX guns has kept SIG prioritizing Romeo1s for complete guns but now that the X guns are shipping they really need to make these available. 

In other news Springer Precision is working on adapter plates and has some prototypes now. 

Thanks Alma! Actually I'm looking at optical planet as well. So does that mean there is no screws in SOR11000, and we need to find additional screws to put it on X5?

16 minutes ago, chopinlover said:

Thanks Alma! Actually I'm looking at optical planet as well. So does that mean there is no screws in SOR11000, and we need to find additional screws to put it on X5?

I don't know. There are screws to attach it to the mount and they might be the same ones needed for the X5. I just don't know for sure. 

The 320 RX wasn't out yet so I  bought the MK25RX last summer. But I did use the entire slide.

I'm  getting close to 10,000 rounds on my Romeo 1.  It has never lost zero. My only complaint is I wish it was brighter like the Delta Point Pro. 

• 1 month later...

I also wish my Romeo 1 has another higher brightness setting or two, in bright direct sun.

So.... just a thought.

On the older red dots like the Tasco, and Firepoints, Optimas etc, some people used to try to make them brighter - I remember one "hack" was to double the batteries..... as in it came with one CR2032 but use two CR2016 instead, doubling voltage, in the same space. I think Arredondo used to make a mounting kit where you could run two CR2032s?

Has anyone tried this on a Romeo 1 - it takes a CR1632, and they do make CR1616 models..... hmmm. Might have to try it out, but as hard as they are to come by would hate to smoke the only the one I have. ;) 

8 minutes ago, sfinney said:

I also wish my Romeo 1 has another higher brightness setting or two, in bright direct sun.

So.... just a thought.

On the older red dots like the Tasco, and Firepoints, Optimas etc, some people used to try to make them brighter - I remember one "hack" was to double the batteries..... as in it came with one CR2032 but use two CR2016 instead, doubling voltage, in the same space. I think Arredondo used to make a mounting kit where you could run two CR2032s?

Has anyone tried this on a Romeo 1 - it takes a CR1632, and they do make CR1616 models..... hmmm. Might have to try it out, but as hard as they are to come by would hate to smoke the only the one I have. ;) 

It sounds interesting. Let me know how that works out for you. 

I expect the next version to be a bit brighter but will have to wait and see. 

Thanks. But "next version" won't do me any good if I can't get them ala carte.  Rather not have to buy a whole new RX 2.0 just to get new glass!  :)  (I have seen a couple Romeo 1 sights for sale one new one for $475, and another used one for almost $800 from some guy on Ebay who disassembled a RX). And several sites are now listing availability as "weeks" rather than months away now.

On a positive note, this Romeo 1 is going over to my X-Five in a week or so....    but I do have a Deltpoint Pro waiting in the wings. Just wish it could be direct mounted, even with a Springer X-Five adapter plate it looks like it starts setting it up higher than on the RX, I think.

Most if not all of the shooters who look through my Romeo 1 think it sucks. Except on cloudy days. ?

It's a shame because it's a very durable sight in my experience with it. 

I like it. Seems robust. I like running my dot dimmer than most so it does not bloom. But I wish it would have like more 1 more intensity higher .... you know, dial it up to "11". :)

I get to contribute to this thread! :(

The SOR11001 will NOT work out of the box. It comes with the M1913 adapter and bolts to that. However, those bolts are too long to directly mount to the slide. Bolts are 16mm long and I think you need 9-10mm. (which are not included).

So now Im trying to track down some shorter bolts. Maybe M3.5 x 8mm. (EDIT: it's a 6-48 bolt) 

Also of note, you cant get them from McMaster, MSC, Fastenal, HomeDepot, Lowes....  even called up Sig and they dont have the bolts on their system. So fair warning :) 

Edited by racerwong

21 hours ago, racerwong said:

I get to contribute to this thread! :(

The SOR11001 will NOT work out of the box. It comes with the M1913 adapter and bolts to that. However, those bolts are too long to directly mount to the slide. Bolts are 16mm long and I think you need 9-10mm. (which are not included).

So now Im trying to track down some shorter bolts. Maybe M3.5 x 8mm. 

Also of note, you cant get them from McMaster, MSC, Fastenal, HomeDepot, Lowes....  even called up Sig and they dont have the bolts on their system. So fair warning :) 

Can you chop them? 

Grayguns had an alternative but it requires washers. 

Hey Alma, 

Im sure you can chop them but gotta be super careful the threads dont get messed up.  (which I already did for one). Would be easier if you could source a nut to put on the end of the bolt for said chopping but cant find the right thread for those either! 

Friend of mine determined the thread is NOT M3.5 but rather a 6-48 which is common ONLY for gun scope mounting, etc. Looks like length needed is somewhere between 5/16 - 3/8. 

Ill post a pic a little later. I let another friend take the screws to try to find. 

Also, Sig is aware of the issue now and says they should have a solution and parts to sell/ship within a week or so (currently not in their system). 

How does one tell? 

Great question! I don't know if the rumoured second generation would have more than the current 5 brightness settings, or whether they would just make them all brighter?