Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CK Arms open gun...bullets tumbling

TeedOff

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After getting the barrel throat lengthened my 1.160" load is plunking fine however bullets are still tumbling. So I looked more closely under bright lights and a bit of magnification (my eyes are not want they once were)...I can clearly see that bullets are scraping the last port. Measured the opening to be .365". Compared to my DVC which is measuring .387". What size reamer should I be looking for? Is the DVC's measurement reasonable or should I be looking at something slightly smaller? Is is relevant that the CK has a two port comp. it the DVC has three ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

After getting the barrel throat lengthened my 1.160" load is plunking fine however bullets are still tumbling. So I looked more closely under bright lights and a bit of magnification (my eyes are not want they once were)...I can clearly see that bullets are scraping the last port. Measured the opening to be .365". Compared to my DVC which is measuring .387". What size reamer should I be looking for? Is the DVC's measurement reasonable or should I be looking at something slightly smaller? Is is relevant that the CK has a two port comp. it the DVC has three ports?

What is that comp made of?  I have reamers that I could loan you.  Definately have a couple nearly new .375" but coming up .010" in titanium would be tough by hand.

2 hours ago, TeedOff said:

To bad you did not see that before, you could have that fixed when they fixed the barrel throat. 

My CK is still real tight, I have 1100 rounds though it. Sometimes I have have to pull real hard to unlock it. I guess all of this is growing pains with a new gun. 

To bad you did not see that before, you could have that fixed when they fixed the barrel throat. 

My CK is still real tight, I have 1100 rounds though it. Sometimes I have have to pull real hard to unlock it. I guess all of this is growing pains with a new gun. 

That would have been nice indeed. I just couldn't see the jacket material on the comp port until I put it under some magnification. Sucks getting old.

There is a special comp. alignment reamer that is made for this purpose.

A smooth portion slide's in from the comp. end and goes into the barrel and then

the cutters remove material from the bore of the comp plates.  I'm not sure

what size O.D. the normal reamer is.

I'm surprised they didn't do it when it went back for the chamber, throat to be checked.

There is a special comp. alignment reamer that is made for this purpose.
A smooth portion slide's in from the comp. end and goes into the barrel and then
the cutters remove material from the bore of the comp plates.  I'm not sure
what size O.D. the normal reamer is.
I'm surprised they didn't do it when it went back for the chamber, throat to be checked.

Um, yeah.

This.  http://www.egwguns.com/tooling/9mm/38-alignment-reamer/

In my opinion if you're going to be seriously shooting open and messing with your guns at all this is a must have tool to keep around.  I've used mine a lot.  Do note that the pilot fits in most barrels but needs to be reduced in diameter for others like the Infinity Ultimatch.

This.  http://www.egwguns.com/tooling/9mm/38-alignment-reamer/

In my opinion if you're going to be seriously shooting open and messing with your guns at all this is a must have tool to keep around.  I've used mine a lot.  Do note that the pilot fits in most barrels but needs to be reduced in diameter for others like the Infinity Ultimatch.

Is alignment reaming and on-going process or is this something I can expect the gun builder to get right once and be done worrying about it? I'm honestly curious why I'd need this beyond fixing it the first time. What kind of work has to be done on a regular basis which would require further alignment reaming? Still new to open and learning every day...

11 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

Is alignment reaming and on-going process or is this something I can expect the gun builder to get right once and be done worrying about it? I'm honestly curious why I'd need this beyond fixing it the first time. What kind of work has to be done on a regular basis which would require further alignment reaming? Still new to open and learning every day...

It's like you bought a British sports car.  You'll always have fiddling to to.  Want to just get in and drive your Chevy, go back to shooting a Glock.

It's like you bought a British sports car.  You'll always have fiddling to to.  Want to just get in and drive your Chevy, go back to shooting a Glock.

Funny Matt, real funny.

It should certainly only be a one time thing, I would think. 

That's what I was hoping...sort of a set it and forget it kind of thing. Seems like something is very wrong if I have to continually open up the comp.

It's to bad the builder did not do the QC needed before selling the gun. The buyer shouldn't have to deal or pay for any of this!

Just my .02

Edited by Gman57

It's to bad the builder did not do the QC needed before selling the gun. The buyer shouldn't have to deal or pay for any of this!
Just my .02

Seems like an obvious step was missed.

Hello: Sometimes stuff gets missed even buy the big name builders. Using a pilot reamer will not always straighten out an offset hole in the comp. It will follow the hole that is already there. If the comp is made with the threaded end and the through bore in two different operation it is possible to get them off center or not concentric with each other. If the threads don't match the barrel threads that well the same can happen. Lots of things can go wrong but I am sure most builders will make it right. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Sometimes stuff gets missed even buy the big name builders. Using a pilot reamer will not always straighten out an offset hole in the comp. It will follow the hole that is already there. If the comp is made with the threaded end and the through bore in two different operation it is possible to get them off center or not concentric with each other. If the threads don't match the barrel threads that well the same can happen. Lots of things can go wrong but I am sure most builders will make it right. Thanks, Eric

Yes, he is making it right.

For one reason or another I've had comps on and off my guns a lot.  Either it loosens, or twists, or I'm working on the barrel, or on the comp itself, etc. etc.  For peace of mind it's nice to always touch it up on install, especially if your comp has fairly loose threads (like my CK) and is mostly held by set screws since it can sit in a slightly different position each time.

Nevermind all that because over time all the baffles in my comps begin to slightly build up with fouling and the edges roll over.  A quick hand twist with the reamer cleans all that up and eliminates any future problems that are likely to arrive at the worst possible time.

Having had bullets start striking the comp mid-match, I'll do anything to avoid it.

Edited by theWacoKid