Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CK Arms open gun...bullets tumbling

TeedOff

I see no evidence of bullets hitting the comp.  The gun locks up very tight...I can put a piece of paper in between the comp and the end of the slide and then let the slide close, if that's what you meant?

Usually the bullet will hit the last or next to last barrel hole in the last or next to last compensator chamber before it exits the gun. Almost all the ones I have seen with a tumbling issue usually has the bullet inpact in either of those areas inside the comp. If it has a thread on comp then this can happen, that is why STI makes trubor barrels, no chance of misalignment whatsoever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my barrel back...six days from when I sent it to receiving it back. Now it's plunking my 1.160" loads no problem. Thanks Matt Cheely for the quick turnaround.

Shooting single stack nats on Saturday so I won't test it until Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, BeerBaron said:
Sweet. [emoji4] glad it's sorted but it's got me stumped why they are sending out guns with short chambers...

Yeah, it seems like a known issue.

Edited by TeedOff

Did they say what the problem was ?

No. I said my rounds would not plunk. He said send him the barrel and a dummy round and he would fix it. At least so far as my rounds passing the plunk test, that's good to go. I'll get some rounds down range Sunday to see if this cured the key holing problem too.

No reason not to be able to load longer than 1.14"  

I loaded MG 124 JHP's out to 1.21", almost 38 super length, with a compressed load (3n38.)  No issues with set back.  I've rechambered several rounds 5 times and they lost from 0 to .001".  I settled on 1.2".  No reason to keep the initial pressure spike to a minimum, if you can. 

55 minutes ago, nbot said:

How long of a chamber did Matt bring yours to?  1.160 Seems short still for a 124 MG JHP.  Have you tried longer with it?

I have been loading to 1.160" for my DVC, so I sent him a dummy round at 1.175" just to give me a little room to load longer if I decide to.  I haven't had a chance to try anything longer as I am currently set up and running my PCC load.  I should be able to switch back to the 9 Major setup on the press and try some longer loads and see what's what in the next week or so.

I'll keep an eye on that. The first problem I wanted solved was the extremely short chamber.  Planning to test it out on Sunday and see if the keyholing is solved or if I need to look closer at the comp for signs of strikes.

1 minute ago, nbot said:

Did you have any short ejection problems with your new CK, or was it just the keyhole and short chamber?

That's "all"...just the short chamber and the keyholing.  The ejection seems fine.  It ejects about 4'...which is 1/2 the distance of my DVC, which is slinging brass way out now that the ejector and extractor are all tuned up.

Just now, TeedOff said:

That's "all"...just the short chamber and the keyholing.  The ejection seems fine.  It ejects about 4'...which is 1/2 the distance of my DVC, which is slinging brass way out now that the ejector and extractor are all tuned up.

Ha, yes.  The dribble.  

Well, hopefully during your test all goes well

A note to everyone. It's not that the chamber is short it's that the throat is insufficient for long loaded jhp's. My CK would not initially plunk jhp's past about 1.140" HOWEVER it would plunk MG CMJ's at 1.190". 

Technically there are are no true specs on 9x19 throats. It's highly variable and they can be short or long as well as tapered at different rates. 

1 minute ago, theWacoKid said:

A note to everyone. It's not that the chamber is short it's that the throat is insufficient for long loaded jhp's. My CK would not initially plunk jhp's past about 1.140" HOWEVER it would plunk MG CMJ's at 1.190". 

Technically there are are no true specs on 9x19 throats. It's highly variable and they can be short or long as well as tapered at different rates. 

That's a great clarification 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, racer-x said:

Definitely do the plunk test to determine how long you can load.

I have 2 CK open 9's now and MG124's contact the throat at 1.40-1.145 OAL in both. I load to 1.130 OAL.  

6.9 gr WAC @ 1.130 is good for 1410 in my guns as well. 

When I bought my open 9 from Bobby he told me to run 1.140 OAL with MG 124 JHP and this is working for me. 6.9 WAC with a 173 PF,

gun has been running 99%. Any failure was on me not the gun.

G

57 minutes ago, Gman57 said:

Not sure happened twice..... after reload failure hammer to drop.... rack slide and all is ok. Never been able to figure it out.

Sounds like bumped safety.  Any chance that's it?