Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CK Arms open gun...bullets tumbling

TeedOff

So I picked up a CK Arms Hardcore recently. I also have an STI DVC Open which will be moving to backup duty. The CK is very well finished and locks up super tight. As in, when I first tried to rack the slide I was like WTF? I've got about 200 rounds thru it now...it still locks up tight but has become much easier to rack. So far I'm 100% impressed with this gun over the DVC.

Here it is:

370688b68b87ef844ac874d404a4ef93.jpg

Since I already have one open gun, it seemed logical that I'd want to be able to run the same load in both. You know, in case I need to bring the backup into action...right?

What I am seeing is the load that runs great in the DVC is tumbling out of the CK. Actually only about one in three bullets are tumbling.

I suppose the obvious answer is work up a load for the CK and take enough of both loads to run a match. Not ideal but doable.

For reference, I'm running 6.9 gr of autocomp under MG 124 gr JHP at 1.150". This makes 1416 fps in the DVC and 1410 fps in the CK.

Any idea to get the bullets to stop tumbling from the CK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: Check to see if the bullets are hitting the comp. Look for gold colored marks on the port lands. Also check to see if there comp is hitting the end of the slide, cocking the comp up or down. A piece of paper should fit between the slide and the comp when it is locked up. Thanks, Eric

Before backing off the crimp, I'd simply pull a bullet from a loaded round and check the bullet for an indentation where the rim was. 

You might also do the plunk test. A couple owners are loading at 1.14" so the bullet isn't engaging the rifling in battery. 

Edited by al503

Definitely do the plunk test to determine how long you can load.

I have 2 CK open 9's now and MG124's contact the throat at 1.40-1.145 OAL in both. I load to 1.130 OAL.  

6.9 gr WAC @ 1.130 is good for 1410 in my guns as well. 

You do not want to run loads that start out pressed into the throat - will increase peak pressures. Not sure if this could account for your tumbling? Seems unlikely, but would be easy to find out.

3 hours ago, racer-x said:

I have 2 CK open 9's now and MG124's contact the throat at 1.40-1.145 OAL in both. I load to 1.130 OAL.  

You do not want to run loads that start out pressed into the throat - will increase peak pressures. Not sure if this could account for your tumbling? Seems unlikely, but would be easy to find out.

Interesting, I have a CK open gun and load my MG124's at 1.165-1.170.  

Back to the OP, have you tried any other bullets?

Fix the comp first. The mount and comp don't come as secure as they should be on CK's. It took a few tries before I got them both loctited rock solid. Using loctite on  just my comp's set screws wasn't getting the job done. 

On 5/6/2017 at 10:05 AM, Sandbagger123 said:

check to see if the comp or the set screws have loosened

This is not the case.  Comp is on tight and the screws are tight.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:13 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Check to see if the bullets are hitting the comp. Look for gold colored marks on the port lands. Also check to see if there comp is hitting the end of the slide, cocking the comp up or down. A piece of paper should fit between the slide and the comp when it is locked up. Thanks, Eric

I see no evidence of bullets hitting the comp.  The gun locks up very tight...I can put a piece of paper in between the comp and the end of the slide and then let the slide close, if that's what you meant?

On 5/6/2017 at 1:15 PM, nbot said:

Just to learn myself, what do you mean by tumbling?  Is that the same as keyholing?

Yes, same thing, sorry if I used the wrong word.

On 5/6/2017 at 2:15 PM, al503 said:

Before backing off the crimp, I'd simply pull a bullet from a loaded round and check the bullet for an indentation where the rim was. 

You might also do the plunk test. A couple owners are loading at 1.14" so the bullet isn't engaging the rifling in battery. 

The pulled bullet does not show a crease where the case rim is, so I do not believe it is over crimped.

I did some plunk testing and it seems the throat is VERY short...longest COAL I could get to plunk is 1.104".  This is with Montana Gold 124 gr JHP.  I have some Precision Delta 124 JHP that I could try as well.

On 5/6/2017 at 2:33 PM, racer-x said:

Definitely do the plunk test to determine how long you can load.

The longest COAL that will plunk is 1.104".  I too am running 6.9 gr WAC @ 1410.  I am hesitant to load to 1.104" at this power factor...seems that would spike the chamber pressure.

4 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

The pulled bullet does not show a crease where the case rim is, so I do not believe it is over crimped.

I did some plunk testing and it seems the throat is VERY short...longest COAL I could get to plunk is 1.104".  This is with Montana Gold 124 gr JHP.  I have some Precision Delta 124 JHP that I could try as well.

That seems really short.  Not going to leave much case capacity pushing the bullet in that far.  

Just now, aandabooks said:

That seems really short.  Not going to leave much case capacity pushing the bullet in that far.  

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  Seems like I need to get the throat reamed.

2 hours ago, TeedOff said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  Seems like I need to get the throat reamed.

CK Guns seems to come with very short throats!

good news is your barrel is not TiN coated so at least it should be easy to ream...

Yes. I reached out to Matt Cheely... he will take care of it.

On 5/7/2017 at 7:51 PM, nbot said:

CK Guns seems to come with very short throats!

and that makes no sense to me.  9 major is always loaded long.  The sweet spot is around 1.165 OAL 

and that makes no sense to me.  9 major is always loaded long.  The sweet spot is around 1.165 OAL 

Absolutely agree. At least with a 115 bullet

They're super short for 147s at 1.17