Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who shoots a VP9 in SSP?

JLeeCZ

Always have liked my VP9 but opted for a CZ SP-01 for IDPA, until recently.  Have gotten pretty excited about the arrival of the new VP9sk so I took my VP9 out of the safe recently.  Forgot how well it shoots and what a great trigger it has, for a poly striker-fire. Shot it yesterday for the first time in a year using my go-to 147gr coated SNS over WSF and other than a few flyers, shot it almost as well as my CZ. In anticipation of using the SK for concealed carry(when I find one), planning on shooting the VP9 more, including IDPA.  Curious of those who load for the VP9 what seems to work best for you.  Other than the SNS 147 gr load, sometimes load PD 124 JHPs and SNS coated 125s over HP-38.  Chrono with the 147 SNS was pretty good with the VP9 using 3.8 gr WSF at 1.14" OAL tested back in 2015 .  15 rd avg gave 908 fps with 8.9 SD and 36 ES with good accuracy so not sure how much better I could ask for.

Edited by JLeeCZ

I'm useing 3.3gr of N320 under a plated 147gr xtreme at 1.15 OAL. It shoots very soft and I've never had any complaints about accuracy. 

I use a VP9 in IDPA also, all I did was install the Dawson Precision competition sight set (Black rear fiber front).  147gr Bayou over 3.2gr of N320.  Damn good gun.  Waiting for the VP9L to come out.

I'm shooting one as well.  I'd originally purchased it several months back for CCP but the rules have changed, lol.  Anyway I ran it this last weekend using Xtreme 147's over 3.9 of 572 at 1.15 OAL.  Very, very soft shooting and the gun ran like a sewing machine.  I have tried some 165's which were very soft too (3.7g of 572 at 1.155") but the front sight settles quicker with the 147's.  I may try some 124's and 135's as well.  I'll let you know.  

The only changes I've made are to add Trijicon HD's.  I know they're pricey but they match what I have on my duty gun and I like that large dot for point shooting.  

Edited by MJPLEO

I have shot it a couple times in SSP (don't really shoot IDPA much). My SP-01 is set up for USPSA and don't have a regular holster I can use for IDPA. The VP9 shot really well. I have Dawson fiber optic sights on it. I use 147 grain coated lead with 3.2grains of Titegroup with it.

Appreciate the feedback  Will continue to shoot my CZ but definitely throwing the VP9 in the mix.  Can't see shooting anything better than the CZ but time will tell.  VP is sweet.

Thanks.

When I shot for HK I used the VP9 in everything (IDPA, 3 Gun, USPSA). Had  no problem keeping up with all the other guns. Now there a little more recoil then with a CZ/ Glock 34/ Beretta but nothing that didn't keep me winning.

Adam

Shot VP9 for my first season of USPSA and it served me well...made A class with it.  Picked up an SP01 Shadow over the winter and just starting season 2 now.  The VP9 served me quite well, but i'm liking the CZ and don't plan on switching back.  

Running a pair of VP9's in SSP since last summer. Originally was put off by the paddle mag release but I have trained to the point where that is now deep in the subconscious. Triggers are very good but not great and I have sworn not to touch them. But...shooting a slow fire precision stage last weekend I think the heavier pull and slight creep hurt me. Will be installing match springs and do a disconnect bar mod in one gun and we will see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

Well I use to shoot my VP9 in IDPA CCP until the wonderful (LOL) IDPA Wilson board changed the box dimensions for CCP classification.It is now too tall by 1/16 to 1/8 Inch but length is well within spec for CCP so now it has to be used as a SSP gun !!!  The only outcome where it could be used for CCP again would be if someone came up with a thinner steel based to replace the faction VP9-P30 mags.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 9:17 AM, foderaman said:

Well I use to shoot my VP9 in IDPA CCP until the wonderful (LOL) IDPA Wilson board changed the box dimensions for CCP classification.It is now too tall by 1/16 to 1/8 Inch but length is well within spec for CCP so now it has to be used as a SSP gun !!!  The only outcome where it could be used for CCP again would be if someone came up with a thinner steel based to replace the faction VP9-P30 mags.

My vp9 with stock base pads fit the box, although it was pretty tight.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...