Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in Pistol

Hi friends, need a little advice.

I just purchased an STI Trojan, which is the first pistol I own that has adjustable sights. I plan on shooting it in my local PPC/Combat league once that starts up again. Distances in these matches are anywhere from 3 to 25 yards, and I also might try to get into USPSA single stack as well.

That being said, I plan on zeroing it at 25 yards, but to be perfectly honest, I don't shoot good enough groups at 25 yards freestanding that I can use to move the sights around.

I know that obviously I could do this with the pistol benchrested, but I've been reading lots of conflicting things from folks who say you shouldn't because the POI will be different when you are freestanding, etc.

Should I sight in at a closer distance that I can shoot well? Benchrest it to get baselined and then make small adjustments when I transition? I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Given the parameters you laid out, my suggestion would be from a 25 yard rest. Don't brace the pistol front and rear. Just use a soft rest under your hands to support the gun, with your arms in full extension like you would have shooting freestyle. Once you get the gun zeroed that way you can make minor sight adjustments for freestyle when you become comfortable with the gun. But, you have to start somewhere, and this is a good starting point.

Hope that helps.

Given the parameters you laid out, my suggestion would be from a 25 yard rest. Don't brace the pistol front and rear. Just use a soft rest under your hands to support the gun, with your arms in full extension like you would have shooting freestyle. Once you get the gun zeroed that way you can make minor sight adjustments for freestyle when you become comfortable with the gun. But, you have to start somewhere, and this is a good starting point.

Hope that helps.

double post.. somehow... sorry

Edited by GOF
double post

I zero at 25y from a benchrest. However I put my hands in between the rest and the pistol so theres no direct contact between them. Also I dont put pressure on the rest. Just enough to make it stable. I assume my natural shooting grip placement and pressure on the pistol and adjust the rest so Im close or the same to my shooting posture, not haunched down, and not press down on my stomach so I can breath normally as in shooting freestyle. 

Good info.  I've never adjusted any sights on a pistol before (all of them have been non-adjusting) because I haven't had to, but this is good info.  Appreciate the post by the OP and the answers by everyone.  Good deal. :) 

Try an 8" steel plate - freshly painted white - at 20-25yd.

Turns out that half of my group size at 25 was a lack of a high resolution aiming point, even with things like a black duct tape X or shoot-n-see target.

White/black contrast combines with the natural human ability to spot the center of a circle really easily. 

Step into an unused bay for five minutes with screwdriver, a can of white paint, and two full mags at the ready next time you shoot a match.

You'll find you can get your group centered on the plate much more quickly than on USPSA/IDPA paper.

(Make sure your gun is really close to center at 10-15yd before backing out to 25 to save time.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

for iron sight divisions I like to sight in first from a bench rest at 15 yards so the group center is right at the top of the front sight post.

Then I shoot freestyle groups at 15 yards to verify and make final adjustment if needed.

Hard for me to hold a good freestyle group past 15 yards anyway.

Then shoot some groups at other distances:  20, 25, 35, 45,  whatever so I know what is going on.  

With the 15 yard sight-in all these other distances work just fine for me without really changing anything.

EricG

Thanks guys, went to the range today and benched the pistol at 15 yards. Windage is now perfect and elevation is pretty much right on the money. Just have to do some more freehand shooting and may bring the sights up another click or two.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

On 5/9/2017 at 4:43 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Try an 8" steel plate - freshly painted white - at 20-25yd.

Turns out that half of my group size at 25 was a lack of a high resolution aiming point, even with things like a black duct tape X or shoot-n-see target.

White/black contrast combines with the natural human ability to spot the center of a circle really easily. 

Step into an unused bay for five minutes with screwdriver, a can of white paint, and two full mags at the ready next time you shoot a match.

You'll find you can get your group centered on the plate much more quickly than on USPSA/IDPA paper.

(Make sure your gun is really close to center at 10-15yd before backing out to 25 to save time.)

Tried this today and it works great!   25 yard freestyle groups the best I have ever done.   Thanks Memphis!

Eric

You're welcome. After all, what match conditions are we sighting our guns in for? Tight shots at distance.

Things like an upper A zone at 15-20 yards, or a target with a noshoot obscuring the bottom half of the A-zone... or a steel plate at that distance. ;) 

4 hours ago, tdp88 said:

Would zeroing the pistol differ from person to person.

Very good possibility, especially with iron sights.

If someone else sights in your gun for you, at least test it at 10,20 and 30 yards,

yourself.

I've noticed that the position of the sun will also change point of impact on my iron sights -

if the sun is to my left, or my right, POI changes a bit, especially at longer distances.