Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm slide stop recommendations

je85

I'm starting to have problems with my slide stop. It wont lock back the slide all the time.

Its a Springfield Range Officer 9mm stainless.

I have been trying different Mags but came to the conclusion that the slide stop must be worn out. I do have over 12k rounds through the gun.

What is the best slide stops that you guys recommend?

Do some brands have more of a lip to catch the mag follower?

I need 100% lock back reliability because it is my main IDPA gun and we all know the dreaded rules they have.

Thanks

Edited by je85

EGW, Wilson Bullet proof etc. i.e. tool steel

Order one that is specific for a 9mm it will have more protrusion into the mag well.

It will or should have to be fitted to your gun and possibly your mag followers

usually just fit it to the gun and slide and then with the slide off see how/where it interacts with your followers.

Check that it doesn't hit your bullets as they come out of the mags

Check the pin size of the one you have in the gun now and it the same size pin or be ready to reduce the diameter of it if needed 

Try pressing up on the mags when firing the last round.  If it always locks back then, you need a new mag release.  Several firms offer on designed to hold the mag higher in the gun.

The EGW slide stops have always worked for me.  Like was mentioned, make sure to get one specific to 9mm.

I wouldn't generally consider the slide stop to be a "wear" part in this [engaging the follower] regard, though.

If the mags have seen the full 12k rounds, could be mag springs aren't exerting as much "up" force? Tried replacing the spring in a known-good mag/follower combo?

Is it possible that you're riding the slide stop with your weak hand?

I only have one mag that will lock back the slide 95% of the time and that one has at least 6k through it.

The other mags are 1-2k and some are under 500. Its not the springs.

I also tried swapping springs and followers but same issues. 

I know the slide lock was not 100% reliable even when new.

The mag release has under 10k on it and is a dawson extended.

The mag release spring has been replaced also.

I have also noticed in the right conditions the follower will miss the stop and hold the mag in. This happened too many times at Indoor Nationals.

I know the parts on these Springfields are not high Quality but I bought it because of the Forged frame and slide.

I know I need a 9mm slide stop.

I guess what I'm looking for is one that has the most meat on the bottom and side were it engages the follower. This way I can file and fit it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...