Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing Odin Mag Release on JP

I'm planning to install the Odin AR-15 button on my GMR13.  It looks like the "right" way is to remove the JP release  and drill and tap it off the gun.  Looks like it pivots on a 1/8" roll pin.  Is this correct.  Any tricks to removing it?  The "easy" way might be to drill and tap in place.  Looks like the supplied 4-40 x 1/4" screws would need to be shortened.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

I just did mine. It came out great and a light touch drops the mag. I got the tap and matching drill bit at Fastenal. Locate where you want the button to sit and mark holes on release. Make sure you have right punch that just freely goes on pin hole for lever pin. Lightly tap out roll pin, it should not be hard if you have the right punch. Drill first hole and tap it. Make sure alignment is good dill second hole, Remove button and tap hole. The drill bit you get may be a reverse bit, if it does not drill reverse direction. I think the tap will hit the frame if you try it on the gun. I oiled the pin.

John

10 hours ago, jmcqueen said:

I just did mine. It came out great and a light touch drops the mag. I got the tap and matching drill bit at Fastenal. Locate where you want the button to sit and mark holes on release. Make sure you have right punch that just freely goes on pin hole for lever pin. Lightly tap out roll pin, it should not be hard if you have the right punch. Drill first hole and tap it. Make sure alignment is good dill second hole, Remove button and tap hole. The drill bit you get may be a reverse bit, if it does not drill reverse direction. I think the tap will hit the frame if you try it on the gun. I oiled the pin.

John

Thanks for the info.  

I'm planning to install the Odin AR-15 button on my GMR13.  It looks like the "right" way is to remove the JP release  and drill and tap it off the gun.  Looks like it pivots on a 1/8" roll pin.  Is this correct.  Any tricks to removing it?  The "easy" way might be to drill and tap in place.  Looks like the supplied 4-40 x 1/4" screws would need to be shortened.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

The hole diameter in the JP receiver is LARGER than the roll pin until it reaches the top of the pin, then it narrows to the size of the pin. If you use a punch that is the size of the hole you will damage your receiver! The skinny roll pin punch will look too small with a sloppy fit when you drop it in the hole, but it will work correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 5/7/2017 at 4:50 AM, 1911luvr said:

The hole diameter in the JP receiver is LARGER than the roll pin until it reaches the top of the pin, then it narrows to the size of the pin. If you use a punch that is the size of the hole you will damage your receiver! The skinny roll pin punch will look too small with a sloppy fit when you drop it in the hole, but it will work correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O.K.,  What size is the required punch?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drive the roll pin out from top to bottom, but it is not necessary to completely remove it. Just drive it out enough for the mag release to come out. Keep some pressure on the release when you drive the pin out so it doesn't bind up. When i reinstalled it, I put a 3/32" drill bit in from the top to help line up the release when I drove the roll pin back up from the bottom. again, keep some pressure on the release to make re-installation easier.

2 hours ago, harleytech said:

Drive the roll pin out from top to bottom, but it is not necessary to completely remove it. Just drive it out enough for the mag release to come out. Keep some pressure on the release when you drive the pin out so it doesn't bind up. When i reinstalled it, I put a 3/32" drill bit in from the top to help line up the release when I drove the roll pin back up from the bottom. again, keep some pressure on the release to make re-installation easier.

Thanks for the tips.  

I completed the installation and everything worked out great.  When I laid out the position of the release I did not consider the relief in the back of the stock mag release that captures the spring.  I had overlap of the hole with one of the screws.  No problem as I ground the screw to proper length before assembly but if i did it again I'd move the Odin part about .1" to the rear.  

IMG_0837.JPG

• 4 weeks later...