Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1 with 21" barrel

blacklab

I found a great deal on an M1 with a 21" barrel and my buddy is thinking about buying it and building it for 3 gun. But I'm not sure a 21" barrel is the way to go. He's using a Mossberg 930 now with a 24" barrel and does good with it. Will dropping back to a 21" barrel have any ill effects? The trend now seems to be 24", so should he go for it or look around for a good deal on a 24"?

As shotguns get longer and longer, Carbines get lighter and shorter. The thinking is that a very light and short Carbine is soooo much easier to swing around and drive faster in quick, close bay type stages, completely subjective, but there it is! So now we are wanting longer shotguns???? Why??? Don't we use shotguns in close, tight bay type scenarios.....just like our Carbines???? All this is just plain silly!!! I have never won a match because my Carbine was "short and light"! EVER!!!! I have never lost a match because my shotgun barrel was short!!!! EVER!!!!! Matter of fact I still run a 21" barrel shotgun and the mag tube is only 1" past the muzzle..........and.....wait, wait, wait........I still only run 20" barreled ARs. Both of these set up are about the same weight, same length, and both win as long as I am doing my part, and I do my part often enough! 

1 hour ago, kurtm said:

As shotguns get longer and longer, Carbines get lighter and shorter. The thinking is that a very light and short Carbine is soooo much easier to swing around and drive faster in quick, close bay type stages, completely subjective, but there it is! So now we are wanting longer shotguns???? Why??? Don't we use shotguns in close, tight bay type scenarios.....just like our Carbines???? All this is just plain silly!!! I have never won a match because my Carbine was "short and light"! EVER!!!! I have never lost a match because my shotgun barrel was short!!!! EVER!!!!! Matter of fact I still run a 21" barrel shotgun and the mag tube is only 1" past the muzzle..........and.....wait, wait, wait........I still only run 20" barreled ARs. Both of these set up are about the same weight, same length, and both win as long as I am doing my part, and I do my part often enough! 

Luck, just pure dumb luck!-----------Larry

19 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So I'm assuming you don't like 21" barrels??

21 in barrels are good as any, mine is 21 3/8 I think. The comment was directed at Kurt not a shotgun.-------------Larry

I run a 21" M2, with a 10 round tube, it's just fine. My Super Nova has a 26" barrel with a 10 round tube also. Don't pass up a good deal because of the perception that the barrel is too short, or too long.

Kurt has been successful at the game too long to question his knowledge or ability.

Larry and I go WAY back! Hey amigo I will be down on Monday to see Benny, maybe we can meet up! Dumb luck????  Maybe, but I seem to get dumber every year!  ?

3 hours ago, Larry White said:

21 in barrels are good as any, mine is 21 3/8 I think. The comment was directed at Kurt not a shotgun.-------------Larry

Got it, I misunderstood.:rolleyes:

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, kurtm said:

Larry and I go WAY back! Hey amigo I will be down on Monday to see Benny, maybe we can meet up! Dumb luck????  Maybe, but I seem to get dumber every year!  ?

I will be at the shop, stop by and we will grab lunch., see you then.----------------Larry

Edited by Larry White