Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .223 factory ammo for <300 meters shooting

25 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

thanks, Charlie.    Where do you get them, and what do they cost?

Google each company to order from their website.  They both run approximately $300 per 1000.

Just make sure there is NO steel in the projectile. M855/green tip is the obvious example, but you would be surprised how much other (non-62gr) factory ammo attracts a magnet too. Most MDs will DQ you if you bring such ammo to their match. You should be good to go with any of the brands that cater specifically to the 3-Gun market.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

My success with Freedom Munitions was far less than stellar. The 55 V Max load was accurate, when primers didn't blow. They did send replacement ammo, but, I've been leery to shoot it.

Fiocchi, PMC Bronze, or Wolf Gold may fill your requirements. Target Sports USA usually has all of them in stock, get some of each and see if they shoot well enough for you at distance.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:01 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Any good buys going on right now?

as far as good prices, go to ammoseek.com, it sorts by price per round, but you definitely have to factor in shipping as some can be outrageous.  that's the good thing about targetsportsusa.com.  if you buy in case qty's, shipping is free.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had real good luck with Federal American Eagle 223 55 grain F.M.J. it has been very consistent lot to lot and runs around 1 M.O.A. out of most my 223 barrels. I have won more than a few matches with it, and have used it out past 300 with good effect. You can usually find it through target sports or ammo man for 300-350 per 1000

On 5/19/2017 at 3:03 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Is there any .223 ammo that is a little slower than normal?   (Less blast, for

hosing).

I've found PMC to be softer shooting than any other factory ammo I've tried. It's my go to for short range ammo.

I've been pleased with the Hornady 75gr Steel training when I want a some more consistency and the ability to buck wind a little better. I've been able to hold sub 2 MOA with a red dot and an $80 PSA barrel out to 300. I would imagine the ammo is capable of better. Bonefroggunclub.com has a good deal on it when in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/17/2017 at 6:17 AM, kurtm said:

I have had real good luck with Federal American Eagle 223 55 grain F.M.J. it has been very consistent lot to lot and runs around 1 M.O.A. out of most my 223 barrels. I have won more than a few matches with it, and have used it out past 300 with good effect. You can usually find it through target sports or ammo man for 300-350 per 1000

I am with Kurt this is what we use for practice ammo at my department. It works well. 

Pat

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, amccallister said:

I've found PMC to be softer shooting than any other factory ammo I've tried. It's my go to for short range ammo.

PMC Bronze is the softer shooting version (the other is X-Tac) and moa-capable in all my guns at 200 yards and in. Will reliably hit a B/C plate at 500 but the ROs sometimes can't hear it ring.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:11 AM, bushmeat said:

PMC Bronze is the softer shooting version (the other is X-Tac) and moa-capable in all my guns at 200 yards and in. Will reliably hit a B/C plate at 500 but the ROs sometimes can't hear it ring.

The PMC Bronze I tried was 3 moa. Fine for close in hoser stuff but not so good out at distance. My reloads with Hornady ball are at 1.5 in the same rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

Fiocchi 55gr FMJ bulkammo.com $314.00 per 1000. If you keep an eye out it drops below $300 every once and a while...  I use it for 3gun with targets out as far as 550 (SMM3G/ Rio Salado Monthly match) and it is super clean/super reliable.. I have put several thousand rounds through my JP and have never had an issue.