Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics rules

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, triplesinglestack said:

I looked over the rules and don't see anything regarding iron sights necessary, but my local club told me I have to have iron sights mounted to be legal? Any truth in this? Thanks

Jason

false!

On 5/4/2017 at 4:45 PM, triplesinglestack said:

I looked over the rules and don't see anything regarding iron sights necessary, but my local club told me I have to have iron sights mounted to be legal? Any truth in this? Thanks

Jason

Simply ask them to show you their statement in the rules.

A little knowledge is often a dangerous thing.

Edited by Gary Stevens

imho there is zero benefit. i've shot CO in three level 2 matches and 2 CO nationals and a good handful of locals. not once did i ever say to myself, "man i wish i had iron sights on this gun"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 5:54 AM, tyman1876 said:

I use them just because I like to reference them when shooting 1 handed. My presentation isn't the best 1 handed so they help me find the dot.

+1... I only have a front fiber as a quick "reference" for the SHO and WHO as I'm not as strong with my CO gun yet as I am with my Production gun. I'll be making a mid season switch soon to CO so my dry-fire schedule will probably eliminate the need for it as I become more proficient.

+1... I only have a front fiber as a quick "reference" for the SHO and WHO as I'm not as strong with my CO gun yet as I am with my Production gun. I'll be making a mid season switch soon to CO so my dry-fire schedule will probably eliminate the need for it as I become more proficient.

I seem to unintentionally leave that out of my dry fire which has hurt me on a few classifiers. Find the dot is a whole new game WHO!

• 2 months later...

Figure I would jump in here rather than start a new thread. I am confused as to whether it is legal to relocate the rear sight in front of the optic. Many of the companies installing optics offer this as a service and I can't tell if it is legal or not. 

So this is what happens when you lose your mind. I just searched my email and realized I had already asked this question last year. Troy said It was legal to do so. 

Nothing to see here. Move along, sorry for the clutter :)

Yes, that's allowed.

Troy

On 3/7/2016 10:13 PM, Ammowaster wrote:
My question involves relocating the rear sight on a pistol used for carry optics. Several companies offer the choice of placing the red dot on the very rear of the slide and relocating the rear sight to right in front of the optic. 

Would that be allowed? I saw mention of cosmetic cuts being allowed as long as they did not go all the way through the slide and was wondering if that would cover a new sight dovetail and relocation of the rear sight.

Thank you

I was going to suggest that it should be covered under App D4, 21.2b:

21.2b

Milling of slide — only as required to insert sights

Remains in effect – a slide may be modified specifically for the purpose of installing sights, and for no other purpose.

Have read the rules as found but wanted to make sure I have this correct. 

"..adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed". 

So I can have the finger bumps on my Gen 3 or 4 removed AND have the slide milled for a Delta Point? 

17 hours ago, USCSBarney said:

Have read the rules as found but wanted to make sure I have this correct. 

"..adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed". 

So I can have the finger bumps on my Gen 3 or 4 removed AND have the slide milled for a Delta Point? 

Just understand that it won't be legal to switch back to Production with that particular gun.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:19 AM, rowdyb said:

imho there is zero benefit. i've shot CO in three level 2 matches and 2 CO nationals and a good handful of locals. not once did i ever say to myself, "man i wish i had iron sights on this gun"

Question for you Rowdyb.  What gun are you shooting in CO and what internal trigger mods have you made.  I have a Glock 34 and since the Zev or other speed triggers are not legal, I want to confirm that I am interpreting the rules and I can change springs and the connector to reduce trigger pull and make a smoother trigger.