Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 2011 need opinions

Amay4321

I've got into three gun heavily this year. I'm really looking at the STI DVC 3 Gun as my new pistol. But I'll occasionally shoot USPSA as well. I'm not so worried about wether I shoot minor, considering I'd rather shoot 9mm in three gun but would like a gun I could shoot uspsa with as well. I looked at the rules and it seems there is no maximum gun size restrictions in limited. Could someone help me clarify that please? 

Thanks!

You're good to go in USPSA Limited with the DVC 3-Gun no worries.  Have fun and just throwing this out there but for DVC kind of money I would take a look at CK arms as well as an option.

JF

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.  The DVC 3gun is set up specifically for 3 gun where there is no minimum PF.  It's essentially a 2011 with some slide lightening cuts and a bushing barrel.  All of those are things you want when shooting Minor or sub-Minor loads.  It will be fine for USPSA Limited Minor.  Just make sure your ammo is around 130-132PF so you are sure to make Minor at the chrono station.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.  The DVC 3gun is set up specifically for 3 gun where there is no minimum PF.  It's essentially a 2011 with some slide lightening cuts and a bushing barrel.  All of those are things you want when shooting Minor or sub-Minor loads.  It will be fine for USPSA Limited Minor.  Just make sure your ammo is around 130-132PF so you are sure to make Minor at the chrono station.

Mainly wanted to make sure I'd be able to shoot the dvc 3 gun in uspsa limited. I'm more focused on three gun at the moment and would, at the moment, like to shoot both 3 gun and uspsa with one gun. Even though in the case of the dvc three gun I'd have to shoot limited minor, but to me that is ok because it's just more practice for movement and not a serious discipline for me now.

2 hours ago, JBOT5000 said:

You're good to go in USPSA Limited with the DVC 3-Gun no worries.  Have fun and just throwing this out there but for DVC kind of money I would take a look at CK arms as well as an option.

JF

I just looked at a few of their pistols. Most seemed to be more than the dvc 3 gun. Do you think they are worth the extra cost?

11 minutes ago, Amay4321 said:

I just looked at a few of their pistols. Most seemed to be more than the dvc 3 gun. Do you think they are worth the extra cost?

Just throwing this out there.  Went through a similar exercise.  Ended up with a ck arms hardcore.    Absolutely love it.  First 2011 for 3 gun.   The poly grip ones are like 2800ish.  The metal grip is like 3200ish.

I've only played with a dvc limited and it was nice.  But the trigger on the ck is better for the same money. But they don't come with a mag. 

27 minutes ago, Tacticalpanda said:

Just throwing this out there.  Went through a similar exercise.  Ended up with a ck arms hardcore.    Absolutely love it.  First 2011 for 3 gun.   The poly grip ones are like 2800ish.  The metal grip is like 3200ish.

I've only played with a dvc limited and it was nice.  But the trigger on the ck is better for the same money. But they don't come with a mag. 

My gunsmith told me to check out ck arms. He's had a couple come in and he thought they were better than an sti. The only thing that doesn't make me jump on one is that they don't come with mags. The dvc 3 gun comes with two. But maybe I should just quit being stingy. 

another option is an edge or eagle worked on by brazos, their "hp" treatment.  basically stock STI's, they do a trigger job and reliability work, just good to know it's been looked over by a pro before you get it.  that said, i've been very happy with my several stock STI handguns.

as noted above, pretty much any handgun allowed in 3 gun, without ports, a comp or optic, is legal in uspsa limited.

My direct copy from another recent post

I have 3 sti pistols that have all been problem free, 2 where tuned by brazos and 1 factory dvc. I have upgraded the grips on all 3. I have found my Brazos hp edge with a pt evo grip is my fastest and smoothest shooting. My recommendation would be a brazos hp edge and don't look back. 

I just purchased another pt evo grip for my dvc to replace the sv grip in hopes it might match the brazos hp edge.

If I wanted one pistol to do all three sports, I'd probably grab one of the IDPA legal CK Arms 40's on Shooters Connection right now, and then come up with a minor and major load for it.  That way you can shoot all three sports without having to shoot minor PF in USPSA, which is a disadvantage to most people.

2 hours ago, fbzero said:

If I wanted one pistol to do all three sports, I'd probably grab one of the IDPA legal CK Arms 40's on Shooters Connection right now, and then come up with a minor and major load for it.  That way you can shoot all three sports without having to shoot minor PF in USPSA, which is a disadvantage to most people.

Good advice....

2 hours ago, fbzero said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.  Since the OP did not mention IDPA, why throw that into the mix.  If IDPA legal, there can't be any slide lightening, and that is something you definitely want in a Minor gun.

While I actually prefer 40sw over 9mm because of its versatility, I can say that it is not the best choice for sub-Minor loads.  Cycling is too slow, and too short, even with light recoil springs.  In my Limited gun, I shoot 172PF for Major and 144PF for Minor.  Both run with the same recoil spring.  When I try to run sqibb loads in the 109-120PF range, everything seems to go in slow motion.  100% reliability is not assured.  On the other hand, those sub-Minor loads in a 9mm are reliable and stupid soft.

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.  Since the OP did not mention IDPA, why throw that into the mix.  If IDPA legal, there can't be any slide lightening, and that is something you definitely want in a Minor gun.

While I actually prefer 40sw over 9mm because of its versatility, I can say that it is not the best choice for sub-Minor loads.  Cycling is too slow, and too short, even with light recoil springs.  In my Limited gun, I shoot 172PF for Major and 144PF for Minor.  Both run with the same recoil spring.  When I try to run sqibb loads in the 109-120PF range, everything seems to go in slow motion.  100% reliability is not assured.  On the other hand, those sub-Minor loads in a 9mm are reliable and stupid soft.

I must have imagined that he mentioned all three sports, my bad.  That said, I still wouldn't stick with 9mm if USPSA was on the menu, and would likely make the same choice.  Only difference is that I might go with the LDC or 5.5" with SDC instead of the CLR IDPA legal ones.

he wants to shoot 3 gun and and occasional USPSA match for practice. in that case 9mm is the better choice. cheaper for factory ammo, more capacity per magazine and very soft to shoot. yes he has a disadvantage of minor scoring in sups but he seems happy enough with that.

I think the DVC 3 gun, HP edge or a CK arms thunder or hardcore would all be good choices and all similar money. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 9:51 PM, Amay4321 said:

Has it ran good for you? No hiccups?

I'm at just over 1k rounds so far in my DVC 3gun. Not 1 single issue or malfunction,  I absolutely love it. 

Placed 4/9 in my division and 12/25 overall in my first ever match. If I hadn't had a few mikes due to first time jitters I potentially would have been 2/9 in division and 6/25 overall. Was a blast and I think I'm hooked now.