Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major Case Rupture

Maximis228

Had a 9 Major case rupture last night. Gun is fine, but zeroed a stage. Case cracked in 3 separate spots and was stuck in the chamber. I guess that's why they call it 9 Grenade.

Load: 7.5 of WAC

Bullet: 124 PD HP

OAL: 1.165

Case: Remington

Primer: CCI 500

Barrel/Comp: 5.5 Infinity with V6 holes and Akai 2 gill Comp

18195046_10158528770880459_3083313038856051524_n.thumb.jpg.9bb24cc09dbebd688baf2829f198549a.jpg

7.5 gr WAC under a 124 gr bullet, even at 1.165" seems like a

LOT of powder (usually 6.7 - 7.0 does it).

Have you chrono'd those loads?

Still, shouldn't have made that much damage - must have been

faulty (brittle?) brass....

Glad you didn't get hurt  :) 

8 minutes ago, cecil said:

Hope you are ok... shooting 9 major case failures are going to happen .... not a question of IF ..only a question of when...

Im all good.

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

7.5 gr WAC under a 124 gr bullet, even at 1.165" seems like a

LOT of powder (usually 6.7 - 7.0 does it).

Have you chrono'd those loads?

Still, shouldn't have made that much damage - must have been

faulty (brittle?) brass....

Glad you didn't get hurt  :) 

This load is at 174 PF. Its got v6 holes which is why the load is a little hotter. My older open guns with 2 vertical holes ran 173 PF with 7.0 of WAC.

2 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

What kind of ramp is on the barrel?  Is there good case head support?  That case must have been seriously compromised to blow out there in the web portion.

Clark/Para Ramp and yes the case head support is good.

Edited by Maximis228

1 minute ago, tyler2you said:

Can't believe you didn't pull out your pocket knife and dig that case out to finish the stage ;)

Meh.. it was a local haha. I also got my last classifier to hit GM last night. Didn't want to risk anything at that point.

Just now, Maximis228 said:

Meh.. it was a local haha. I also got my last classifier to hit GM last night. Didn't want to risk anything at that point.

Congratulations!  I RO'd a stage you shot last year at the SNS 400.  You're pretty darned quick for a big guy.

Just now, tyler2you said:

Congratulations!  I RO'd a stage you shot last year at the SNS 400.  You're pretty darned quick for a big guy.

Thank you sir! That was by far my best match of the season last year. Almost squeaked out a win.

OP-Can you tell where the damage on that case occurred relative to its position in the chamber?  In other words, is there any mark where you can tell where the extractor was holding it so you can tell how the case was clocked in the chamber?

It would be interesting to know what side of the chamber that occurred on.  

The reason I ask is because I just had a new gun built and the builder used an STI barrel.  It's supported pretty much everywhere except for a sliver of webbing in the 3:00 position.  I was a little worried about it but now your picture has me really worried.

Edited by d_striker

25 minutes ago, d_striker said:

OP-Can you tell where the damage on that case occurred relative to its position in the chamber?  In other words, is there any mark where you can tell where the extractor was holding it so you can tell how the case was clocked in the chamber?

It would be interesting to know what side of the chamber that occurred on.  

The reason I ask is because I just had a new gun built and the builder used an STI barrel.  It's supported pretty much everywhere except for a sliver of webbing in the 3:00 position.  I was a little worried about it but now your picture has me really worried.

I tried racking it out a bunch, so there is a nice wear mark from the extractor slipping over the stuck case. It looks to be the 3:00 position for the crack at the base of the case. Middle crack starts at 3 and goes down, and the crack new the mouth is back at 3.

4 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

I tried racking it out a bunch, so there is a nice wear mark from the extractor slipping over the stuck case. It looks to be the 3:00 position for the crack at the base of the case. Middle crack starts at 3 and goes down, and the crack new the mouth is back at 3.

Thanks.  That's what I suspected based on your picture but wasn't sure.

How does it look with a fresh round in that spot?  Any portions unsupported?

I'll post a pic of my STI barrel later to show what I'm talking about on mine.

Edited by d_striker

23 hours ago, d_striker said:

Here is what I was talking about on my STI barrel.  I really don't like how much is unsupported after seeing your webbing blow out.5BFBEF83-6329-4231-9095-89437543941A_zps

That oooks sketch to me and my KKM. 

4 hours ago, TeedOff said:

What headstamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he said R-P. I'd contribute the weird look to the fact that it blew out and had quite the fire on the outside of the case. 

I agree woth others, even though you have a super slow barrel 7.5 is a lot of WAC. I'd look for a better powder, but that's just me :) I'm shooting HS6 with a LSI comp and 2 holes and I like it a lot.