Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A friend of mine invited me out to a PRS competition a couple weeks ago. I  wasn't able to go but I did start looking at the rules, at Youtube, etc.  I'm interested in giving it a try.  I'm torn between production division and the gas gun series.  I already shoot 3 gun.  Would shooting the gas gun series on an AR platform translate somewhat well as practice for 3 gun? Is the bolt gun more fun?  What would be a good build for a gas gun and what would be a good setup for a bolt gun?  I've got a 16 inch Noveske that I was shooting in 3 gun that's now a backup gun since I built an AR for 3 gun.  I see Christensen Arms listed as legal in production series and I've always wanted something from them.  Lastly, any and all advice that I haven't asked is most welcome. 

As a 3gunner you already have the ability to shoot from funky positions without the assortment of Kryptek pillows you'll be seeing most PRS shooters use. Just try not to twitch your trigger finger too fast and follow through. At least a 10x scope on your AR would be a good idea. And a bipod. Although coupled mags might suffice. If you're shooting at Woody's, the majority of targets should be within AR range.

• 4 months later...

So quick update. Shot my first match on Saturday and placed 37 out of 49 or 50.  I managed to hit a target on every stage.  I did end up buying an MPA bolt action in 6.5m and it's been flawless.  I gotta say, love not having to reset a stage as everything is steel.

42 minutes ago, Thaunk said:

So quick update. Shot my first match on Saturday and placed 37 out of 49 or 50.  I managed to hit a target on every stage.  I did end up buying an MPA bolt action in 6.5m and it's been flawless.  I gotta say, love not having to reset a stage as everything is steel.

Congrats on your first match.  Can't go wrong with MPA.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Wahoo72 said:

I've been tempted to go the MPA route, but have been traditionally a Stock guy.  I have a McMillian now and debating on a Manners now or switching to a chassis. What benefits have you seen with the chassis?

Modularity and adaptability.  Trinity pic rail, barricade stops, rat rail.   They keep adapting to the game.  Best part is cost.  To spec out a manners prs it's twice the price.   

19 hours ago, Wahoo72 said:

I've been tempted to go the MPA route, but have been traditionally a Stock guy.  I have a McMillian now and debating on a Manners now or switching to a chassis. What benefits have you seen with the chassis?

Modularity and adaptability.  Trinity pic rail, barricade stops, rat rail.   They keep adapting to the game.  Best part is cost.  To spec out a manners prs it's twice the price.