Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets not concentric with cases

darkvibe

I’m finding that some of my bullets are not concentric in the cases.  It’s not really visible but when gauging loaded rounds one side of the bullet may rub on the case gauge.  Some do it, some don’t.

My current setup is a Hornady lock n load AP with:

Station 1 – Lee sizing die (I have also used a hornady sizing die and Lee U die with no change to my concentricity issue)

Station 2 – PTX using the hornady expander insert

Station 3 – MBF bullet feeder die

Station 4 – Redding competition micrometer seating die

Station 5 – Redding micrometer taper crimp die

The flare on the expanded cases looks concentric by eye and measures the same diameter no matter which orientation I measure it.  

The flare on the case contacts the inside of the seating die but is not too tight.

I have tried removing the spring from the seater die.

Loading to 1.180 OAL, 0.421 crimp.  Current batch of brass is mixed once fired.  Acme 200gr RN bullets.

Not sure what to change to correct this but I assume it must be something with my bullet seater.  Any advice to troubleshoot?

Have you pulled any of the bullets that you're having issues with?  Molds can have some variation from one to another, I would try further measurements on the good rounds compared to the iffy ones. 

18 minutes ago, SNSCaster2 said:

Have you pulled any of the bullets that you're having issues with?  Molds can have some variation from one to another, I would try further measurements on the good rounds compared to the iffy ones. 

I have not but that is a good point.  I may need to get my hands on some better measuring instruments to check bullets though.

I have experienced the same exact issue with those bullets, and other coated bullets, as well. I did find that the Acme bullets were about a thou larger in diameter than some of the others. I never was able to fix the issue, so I just switched back to plated bullets. I am interested in any responses.

Loaded some 200gr FP blue bullets tonight. Only adjustment was to the seating depth to get the same 1.180" OAL. Only loaded about 25 rounds but none of them showed concentricity problems in the gauge and shot fine.  Will load more this weekend.  Maybe it's a bullet issue or the bullet profile doesn't play nice with the seater stem profile. 

Loaded another 100 rounds using blue bullets.  Not a single one failed the gauge and I can't find any signs that the bullets are not concentric with cases.  The 25 rounds that I loaded and shot the other day group better than my ACME loads too.

I've ran into this issue before. What I discovered is a concentricity problem with the case walls causing the bullet to be off centered. When I find these cases I will toss the case in the trash. It's easy to determine if this is the problem. Just measure the wall of the case mouth and you will a significant difference from one side to another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk