Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help -- My reloads won't feed on my Glock 19s

Paul_H

I'm a complete beginner at reloading, and I'm getting very frustrated.  I'm trying to reload on a Dillon RL550 C, using Dillon's 9mm die set and powder system.  So far all I've loaded is dummy rounds while setting up my dies.  The problem I'm having is that 95% of the rounds I load will not feed into either of my Glock 19s.  One gun is brand new and the other has thousands of rounds through it.  I've also tried all the magazines I have, some brand new others have seen some rounds. 

The problem is that I load a round into an empty magazine, insert it into the gun, power stroke the slide and the round basically drives straight forward and hangs on the bottom of the feed ramp, pictures are below.  After removing the round you can visibly see where the feed ramp dug into the bullet.  The rounds that don't feed in the Glock 19 seem to have no problem feeding in my Glock 17, Colt 1911 9mm, or Sig P226.  On the rounds that do feed in the Glock 19s you can see where part of the lead nose has been shaved off from chambering.

The rounds I've loaded pass the plunk test and test OK in a Lyman case gauge.

I'm loading the rounds as follows:

Bullet: Bayou 147gr coated Flat Point

Brass: Mixed -- FC and WIN markings

COAL: 1.130 - 1.135 -- the bullet has a little nub on the end from casting that seems to affect the measurement a bit

Brass OAL: 0.751 - 0.752

Mouth Diameter After Loading: 0.378

Mouth Diameter Before Loading: 0.374

Base Diameter: 0.389

I am at a complete loss of what to try next.  Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.  What other information can I provide?

--

Paul

img_0786.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

So take the barrel out.

Drop one of your loaded rounds in the chamber

Listen for metal on metal sound

Spin the round

Determine if it spins freely

Then tilt the barrel to drop the round out

If it drops, then that round is more likely to feed properly.

Repeat...

If your loads fail, evaluate bullet seating depth and diameter of the case opening after you removed the bell( most refer it to crimping which is technically incorrect for 9mm ). I don't own Glocks, but maybe consider polishing the feeding ramp.

Nosedive is a complicated issue. First, they might not nosedive as much when you actually fire the gun. Second, if they do, then that flat-nosed bullet might not work in that gun. You might need to switch to a round nose profile to get reliable feeding. 

Might want to increase the crimp a little to remove the bell. The case mouth diameter should not be larger than the neck diameter. 

23 minutes ago, vinceislander said:

So take the barrel out.

Drop one of your loaded rounds in the chamber

Listen for metal on metal sound

Spin the round

Determine if it spins freely

Then tilt the barrel to drop the round out

If it drops, then that round is more likely to feed properly.

Repeat...

If your loads fail, evaluate bullet seating depth and diameter of the case opening after you removed the bell( most refer it to crimping which is technically incorrect for 9mm ). I don't own Glocks, but maybe consider polishing the feeding ramp.

This is what I meant by the plunk test.  The rounds pass the barrel tests fine.  Would you suggest I increase or decrease bullet seating depth?  Or is it a trial and error sort of thing?

24 minutes ago, superdude said:

Nosedive is a complicated issue. First, they might not nosedive as much when you actually fire the gun. Second, if they do, then that flat-nosed bullet might not work in that gun. You might need to switch to a round nose profile to get reliable feeding. 

Might want to increase the crimp a little to remove the bell. The case mouth diameter should not be larger than the neck diameter. 

I'll try removing more of the bell.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Dink said:

Have you tried a different mag? Mags are one of the things that cause nosedives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I thought of that first.  So, I tried 12 different Glock 19 mags.  3 mags are brand new out  of the package.  Which mags would load vs not load seemed to be random, all mags are numbered.

Try different OALs, shorter seems to me the most likely solution, but try longer too if they'll plunk. If that doesn't help then the gun simply won't feed that profile, it happens sometimes. I suspect going shorter will allow the catridge to lift more before impacting the feed ramp.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I would try to shorten some just to see if that solves the problem. I have some guns that dont like flat nose bullets but have never had that problem with my Glocks. I have loaded some as short as 1.10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I tried shortening up the length, all the way down to 0.950.  At 0.950 the rounds would chamber, but are so short that the brass case is above where the bullet starts to taper.  Any longer and they would not chamber correctly.  I also adjusted my crimp die to take out more of the bell, but that did not seem to help.

I have ordered some new Speer 147gr TMJ FN bullets and some brand new brass from Brownells.  The Speer bullets are very close to the TMJ FN on the American Eagle ammo I have been shooting with no issues.  If those bullets don't work out I'll look at some round nose stuff instead.  Also, figured new brass could not hurt at this stage.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

--

Paul

I load bayou 147's at 1.130 and they work fine in all 3 of my Glocks, Here's a tip I haven't seen mentioned. Try polishing the feed ramp. If you have a dremel with felt wheel, put either some Flitz or polishing compound and polish the feed ramp to a mirror finish. I had some barrels that were rough and polishing did the trick.

2 hours ago, Paul_H said:

This is what I meant by the plunk test.  The rounds pass the barrel tests fine.  Would you suggest I increase or decrease bullet seating depth?  Or is it a trial and error sort of thing?

My Bad.

After taking a second look at your pictures, I don't think those rounds with that bullet profile have a chance to feed reliably.   Throw those rounds in your other working Glocks and see where the bullet strikes the feeding ramp AND how high they sit in relation to the ramp. So ride the slide forward  and see where it hits it.

Thinking out of the box...

Try one round in the magazine

Try a full magazine.

What happens when you load a mag with your dummy rounds into the gun and push the end of the magazine in more. Does it seat the magazine higher into the pistol? And does that help feed the rounds?

Good luck man. Update this post if you end up trying different bullet profiles.

4 hours ago, Paul_H said:
4 hours ago, Paul_H said:

I'm a complete beginner at reloading, and I'm getting very frustrated.

Paul,

Many people on this Forum will tell you from personal experience that round nose bullets are much easier to load than those with a flat-nose, particularly early on in the reloading process. Get some round nose bullets and put a smile on your face. You'll be glad you did.

All the best...

I've used rounds loaded to 1.150 in my Glock 17L - but it has a Lone Wolf Barrel and I polished the feed ramp to a high shine.  Beside loading shorter and polishing the ramp you might try a lighter recoil spring too. 

11 hours ago, Paul_H said:

At 0.950 the rounds would chamber .  Any longer and they would not chamber correctly. 

Yeah, you can't load down to 0.95" - and nothing longer will chamber?

What exactly happens to prevent the rounds to "chamber correctly".

This is during The Plunk Test (TPT)?   Barrel out of gun, and you drop 1.000" round into the

chamber, and it won't go all the way in?

BTW, you run The Plunk Test until you find the LONGEST load your chamber can

handle - and then back off a bit.  Just because it passes TPT doesn't mean they're

long enough.

As Darrell mentioned, you should be able to load much longer than 0.950".  :) 

You also mentioned that your rounds WILL CHAMBER with some of your mags?

That means there's nothing wrong with your reloads, it must be faulty mags (I'd

use the 9 mags that work, and stop using the 3 mags that don't work).   

There are some bullets that just don't work well in some guns. As others have mentioned, get some round nose bullets and see if the problem goes away. The key is not expend a bunch of time and energy trying to force something to work when there are alternatives that will work instead.

I've been very fortunate that the 147 Bayou's have fed in all my guns.

Currently running them in several 1911's, Sig 226 and glock 34 gen4 (brand new) and an old gen2 17.

But as stated above get the round made correctly and plunking in your bbl first then figure our why it's nosediving.

does the gun feed large hollow points like the Win Silver tip etc.

The flat nose is usually smaller than some hollow points and the ogive is made to feed in the majority of guns.

How does it look relating to feed ramp with slide locked back. i.e. low middle of ramp or lined up with chamber.

You may have to go longer OAL. if it will plunk test

Both my glocks I can go 1.165 with that bullet both have the factory bbl in them.

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've been very fortunate that the 147 Bayou's have fed in all my guns.

Currently running them in several 1911's, Sig 226 and glock 34 gen4 (brand new) and an old gen2 17.

But as stated above get the round made correctly and plunking in your bbl first then figure our why it's nosediving.

does the gun feed large hollow points like the Win Silver tip etc.

The flat nose is usually smaller than some hollow points and the ogive is made to feed in the majority of guns.

How does it look relating to feed ramp with slide locked back. i.e. low middle of ramp or lined up with chamber.

You may have to go longer OAL. if it will plunk test

Both my glocks I can go 1.165 with that bullet both have the factory bbl in them.

This. I can run up to 1.17 OAL in my G19s with the Bayou 147s and have 0 feeding issues. I run the same bullet at 1.14 in my G34 because the magazines require a slightly shorter OAL. I also run them at 1.14 in my CZ, which is relatively long, and the CZ's are notorious for needing a shorter OAL. My vote would be to try a longer OAL and I think it will give the bullet a better chance to clear the feed ramp.

1 minute ago, BombSquad said:

This. I can run up to 1.17 OAL in my G19s with the Bayou 147s and have 0 feeding issues. I run the same bullet at 1.14 in my G34 because the magazines require a slightly shorter OAL. I also run them at 1.14 in my CZ, which is relatively long, and the CZ's are notorious for needing a shorter OAL. My vote would be to try a longer OAL and I think it will give the bullet a better chance to clear the feed ramp.

Vote with you!!

Longer USUALLY feeds better as long as the chamber is long enough

Good fortune