Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster questions - rule 5.4

With my new to me 625 came an older ghost holster. Seems to fit the gun well, so I planned on using it. It has a safety lever around back of it, instead of on the front like a Wsm.

Reading the rules on holsters and 5.4 caught my eye. Specifically that the condition of the holster in the jump test has to be the same as the start position.

Does this mean that the lever need to be down (locked) at the make ready command and I need to practice hitting that lever as part of my draw?

Also are there any concerns I need to know about with this? Don't want to use it if there is some flaw that will let it drop the gun.

7f1c1defcac63c996c50389fda5f4851.jpgd824e851b6074dfa42ee76a1b99664ef.jpg

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

If it doesn't pass the jump test with it unlocked then it has to be locked at the start signal.  if you can have it unlocked and not have it fall out during the jump test then it can be unlocked at the start.  Just remember that a dropped loaded gun is a DQ.

David

1 hour ago, ffl said:

If it doesn't pass the jump test with it unlocked then it has to be locked at the start signal.  if you can have it unlocked and not have it fall out during the jump test then it can be unlocked at the start.  Just remember that a dropped loaded gun is a DQ.

David

Ok, that how I read it. I will get some mats out and try both ways to see. I tried both drawing with and without hitting the lock and have a hard time getting my hand position right when hitting the lock on the way up. If I need to I will make a new lock bar that gets the release to somewhere better suited for me. 

4 hours ago, ffl said:

David

And after the "make ready" command, an unloaded gun dropped is a DQ.

5.4 in what rule book?

USPSA 5.4 is about eye and hearing pro

IPSC 5.4 is about eye and hearing pro

NRA AR 5.4 is blank

IDPA, 5.4 is about DQ (and race holsters are a no go anyway)

I believe in USPS there used to be rules that described jumping in reference to holsters but that is no longer the case.

For USPSA you are fine with the holster unlocked at the start, you may choose to lock it if you have a bunch of movement you need to do at the start but it is not a requirement. 

25 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

5.4 in what rule book?

USPSA 5.4 is about eye and hearing pro

IPSC 5.4 is about eye and hearing pro

NRA AR 5.4 is blank

IDPA, 5.4 is about DQ (and race holsters are a no go anyway)

I believe in USPS there used to be rules that described jumping in reference to holsters but that is no longer the case.

For USPSA you are fine with the holster unlocked at the start, you may choose to lock it if you have a bunch of movement you need to do at the start but it is not a requirement. 

Well, we are in the ICORE forum, no?

(Besides, I didn't know that the USPS had holster tests...)

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Well, we are in the ICORE forum, no?

(Besides, I didn't know that the USPS had holster tests...)

My apologies I saw it on the main page and missed that part.  now I will try to remove my foot from my mouth

On 5/3/2017 at 4:16 PM, MikeBurgess said:

My apologies I saw it on the main page and missed that part.  now I will try to remove my foot from my mouth

Foot always tastes too salty.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:44 AM, kf4zht said:

Ok, that how I read it. I will get some mats out and try both ways to see. I tried both drawing with and without hitting the lock and have a hard time getting my hand position right when hitting the lock on the way up. If I need to I will make a new lock bar that gets the release to somewhere better suited for me. 

That holster looks like a Speed Sec as seen in this thread

I've got a Speed Sec I use with my USPSA Limited gun.  I just start with the lock on.  The lever gets swept out of the way on the draw.  Your draw may differ so practicing with the lever on would be the safest course.