Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing XD Rear Sight

af220wa

I have an XD .40 that has a stubborn rear sight.  I'm trying to replace the factory rear and can't get the old one off.  I've tried a sight pusher, brass punches with full size hammer and it won't budge.  I've read that using an air chisel works but the gun is already sold so I don't want to damage it.  Any ideas or tricks?  Would heating it up help?

I ended up taking mine to a local gunsmith.  He ended up machining out the rear sight.  I don't think I've ever heard him use that many 4 letter words :P

I USED to use a cut off wheel and cut half way though and then it will tap out easily.

Key word is USED to, I don't do XD sights any longer because the aggravation  isn't worth my time and sooner or later the cut off wheel was going to slip.

Cutting does work though if you're up to it.

Edited by jcc7x7

The very first XD.s had very tight dovetails, current production  isn't as bad.  Secure the slide in a padded vise so the slide can't roll and drive out the sight from left to right with a steel drift pin. I've done well over a thousand that way no problem.

Rich

• 1 month later...

my local smith told me they charge 2x as much for sight swaps on XD's 

he said they put them on with a hydraulic press at the factory, and they pretty much have to be cut in half, and that they "implode" because they are under so much tension.  

On 5/4/2017 at 7:43 AM, RIIID said:

The very first XD.s had very tight dovetails, current production  isn't as bad.  Secure the slide in a padded vise so the slide can't roll and drive out the sight from left to right with a steel drift pin. I've done well over a thousand that way no problem.

Rich

Rich is all knowing when it comes to XD's. Listen to him.