Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good grip or not

rondog

Not from that angle, it doesn't.

The weak hand is where most of us need to improve our grip pressure (crush that gun!) and how high we hold the gun when we start shooting USPSA.

Can't see it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

Can't really see in the picture but according to what Ron Avery teaches the weak hand should be canted more so the strong hand thumb covers the area just above the wrist of the weak hand.  I've tried both and find canting the wrist harder re-train but when I do I shoot flatter and accept the recoil better.   I just need more dry fire practice to make it feel more natural.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a general height on a G34 that the support should be? Bottom of slide, slightly above?

I think that depends on the size of your hands. I'd say more importantly, make sure your index finger on your support hand is as high as possible, i.e. tight to the bottom of the trigger guard.

22 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

make sure your index finger on your support hand is as high as possible, i.e. tight to the bottom of the trigger guard.

This is one of the most important things I try to do with my grip on any gun, Glock or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 5:05 AM, tdp88 said:

Is there a general height on a G34 that the support should be? Bottom of slide, slightly above?

IMHO your right hand should be so high that the slide bites just slightly and left thumb's first joint should be deep in your right thumbs second joint.

like this: 

• 2 weeks later...

Travis Haley puts out good resources.  I've been watching Vogel's videos and his support thumb is even more aggressive.  It's parallel with the slide but higher up.  

On 5/11/2017 at 7:35 AM, af220wa said:

Can't really see in the picture but according to what Ron Avery teaches the weak hand should be canted more so the strong hand thumb covers the area just above the wrist of the weak hand.  I've tried both and find canting the wrist harder re-train but when I do I shoot flatter and accept the recoil better.   I just need more dry fire practice to make it feel more natural.

Here is a video of my grip at TPC  recently after a slight modification to my support hand (higher and more forward and pinching under the trigger guard). The gun was coming back on its own to same point of aim.

• 1 month later...