Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck choke tube

Jpdx9c

^^^^

What Alaskapopo says, if it works would be the easiest. 

I've done that and it didn't work for me.  I ended up heating the barrel up with a heat gun to pretty darned hot, and then hitting the choke tube on the inside with canned freeze spray and using a good quality tube wrench got the tube out.  It worked in that case.  I also have an old Remington 1100 barrel that has been pro-ported and had Briley thin wall tubes installed before choke tubes were common.   Shot a slug stage with the modified tube installed and have never been able to get it out, it is basically sweged in place.  .  Briley says they can remove it, and there are tools you can buy from Brownells and Midway, but actually the modified tube works pretty good for me so haven't put much effort into removing that one. 

In any case, good luck!

Edited by Bamboo

Several trap shooting friends of mine had frozen choke tubes in their O/U's. I made a wrench from stainless steel with a Delrin pilot to keep it straight, then used a 3/8" x 10 long bar to get them out. The barrels were held in a vise with 3/8" thick urethane to keep from damaging the barrels.

Awesome. If you've got a pic of that, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try a combo of these tips once I get my Kroil in and a good soak on the barrel end. Appreciate the tips. 

On 5/3/2017 at 1:29 PM, Jpdx9c said:

That tube specific tool head just one part of a choke removal tool. The other parts consist of a threaded rod and chamber insert that goes through the bore to lock that head into the choke tube. The idea is to keep the tool head from twisting out of the stuck choke tube while you turn it. Without the other parts the tool head will not do much more that another other choke tube wrench.

Here's the whole thing: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/294213/100-straight-csp-stuck-choke-tube-removal-tool-fits-beretta-benelli-except-crio-tubes-12-gauge

GunCat is right, it is part of a system to keep the wrench from slipping. 

But, cheap ol' me used just the wrench part (head) as it fit much better and was stronger than any of the pocket wrenches I had (it was an SKB).  If i try to get the Briley thinwall out i mentioned in my previous post I'll probably get the whole system and then give it a whack after soaking in kroil, and add a little  heatgun action (and maybe some canned freeze again). 

Edited by Bamboo

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, Jpdx9c said:

Awesome. If you've got a pic of that, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try a combo of these tips once I get my Kroil in and a good soak on the barrel end. Appreciate the tips. 

IMGP0007.JPG

9 hours ago, Jpdx9c said:

Mission accomplished with no damage to the tube or the barrel. Unless you count the rust spot I've got to take out now. Oil your stuff well. Lesson learned. 

Did you use the CSP tool?

I got into the habit of taking the choke tube out at the end of each day's shooting, wipe it off, add a few drops of lube (CLP, Mobil 1, whatever...) and putting the tube back in. May be overly cautious but I have never had a stuck tube in any gun.

Briley makes a really good choke lube/grease, similar to BE Slide Glide that once you brush it on seems to stay for a long time. Keeps working. Never had a choke stick with it.

gerritm

@GunCat: yeah. Bought the whole tube. Worked as advertised. I did have to ad a spacer to get spring tension on a 26" barrel though. Once it was all on, the tube came out rather easy (compared to before)

@gerritm: Appreciate the tip. I'm thinking about doing the same. Some quality grease tips are much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Jpdx9c said:

@GunCat: yeah. Bought the whole tube. Worked as advertised. I did have to ad a spacer to get spring tension on a 26" barrel though. Once it was all on, the tube came out rather easy (compared to before)

@gerritm: Appreciate the tip. I'm thinking about doing the same. Some quality grease tips are much appreciated. 

http://www.briley.com/p-52300-briley-unilube-synthetic-choke-tube-grease.aspx

stuck one once in an 870 when I was younger. soaked it in a bath of penetrating oil overnight, then put a choke wrench on a ratchet and got it out.  Since then, I just clean my chokes with CLP or similar product after every match when I clean my guns.  Keeps em from sticking. 

I use moly wheel bearing grease on my choke tubes. I get a dab on my finger and put a light coating on the tube and threads. So far, I have not had any problems.

Hurley