Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 5"

Quirk

Just wanted to contribute to the experience with this new M&P 2.0 design. I have several M&P (1.0) pistols, with Burwell trigger job on one that I used for Production and IDPA. While I'm sure there are variable experiences, the original M&P, even with a KM barrel, was not very accurate. With my most accurate load tested (3.7 gr TG with 124 gr Precision Delta JHP), on a rest, at 70 feet (max distance at my indoor range), I could keep them all in a 6" circle most days.   

I bought a 2.0 5" and a 2.0 full size. I had Burwell do a trigger job on the 5". It was more work than previously, due to design changes of the trigger bar etc. And it took awhile...but the result is awesome. Light, crisp and very short reset.  Not a comp-quality 1911 trigger of course, but excellent for a plastic gun. Better than his trigger job on my original M&P Pro 5" model.

The new 2.0 (5" model, FDE with safety) is a measurably better shooter. I don't know if they have specifically addressed that lock-up issue many M&Ps had (and which problem Apex exploited with their new line of barrels as the solution) and if that explains the improved accuracy.  But my same load now easily shoots a 3" group at 70 feet and that's the original load recipe. It's possible a newly worked up load for this gun will be even more accurate. Every gun likes a different recipe, I've learned, and the load for my CZ doesn't shoot as well in the M&P, and vice versa.

It also has less muzzle flip.  The bore axis is lower, and whether it's that or the frame changes, and/or parts of the grip, whatever, but it flips less.   I think the removal of the beavertail allows you to grip the gun higher also, which can only help with muzzle flip control.

I was initially disappointed I could not get a non-safety model (they don't have any 5" models without thumb safety...at least yet) but bought it anyway. In fact, it's fine. I shoot single action CZs and I lose nothing by having the safety. It's actually maybe an advantage, riding the safety with my thumb....compared to the non-safety.

Can't speak to malfunctions or durability, I only have about 2000 rounds through it now, but the stock spring was too stiff for my competition loads and I put my lighter "1.0" spring in (it fit fine) and I've had no further stovepipes.  1000 rounds in one day without a malfunction.

The kydex/carbon fiber holster fit is NOT quite the same, but close enough that it mostly doesn't matter.   Some of you may argue, but I have this carbon fiber holster for the original M&P and it most definitely is a slightly different fit.  Just looking at the two versions side-by side makes that clear, the slide is different.  It does wear more on the front of the slide, as the shape of the 2.0 is different enough to matter with a tight fit hard holster design.  You won't notice with a leather holster, I'll wager. Or a loose-tolerance Kydex. Plus you can probably rework the Kydex yourself with a heat gun....

I actually do NOT like the 'fix' that prevents the gun from auto-forwarding/combat reloading/birthday bump (whatever you like to call it) upon insertion of a fresh mag at slide lock. That was a slight time save during matches. However, the slide release lever is now EASIER to actuate and I can easily position my dominant hand thumb over it such that I can press the lever after mag insertion...it's almost as fast at the original birthday bump feature, but requires training so it's automatic.  But if anyone knows how to alter the slide release to restore that feature....if that would be a 'legal' thing for IDPA (prolly not) and Production...I'd like that feature back.

The grip stippling is better, but in fact it's too good. I put the old backstrap on the gun to make drawing easier; the new backstrap is very grippy and I can't easily slide my hand up into the tang as smoothly.  It's like trying a position your hand on a Hogue rubber grip. Feels good once you are set but quickly acquiring that grip from holster draw is challenging. I never liked tacky/grippy backstops, but if you do, you will like new backstraps. 

Cheers,

Q

Edited by Quirk

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got mine, 4.25 9mm. I was looking at the detent thing that prevents the auto forwarding. I may try to take out the slide stop and see how that thing comes apart. If there's a spring under there, I wonder if cutting a coil or two would fix the fix?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I actually do NOT like the 'fix' that prevents the gun from auto-forwarding/combat reloading/birthday bump (whatever you like to call it) upon insertion of a fresh mag at slide lock. That was a slight time save during matches. However, the slide release lever is now EASIER to actuate and I can easily position my dominant hand thumb over it such that I can press the lever after mag insertion...it's almost as fast at the original birthday bump feature, but requires training so it's automatic.  But if anyone knows how to alter the slide release to restore that feature....if that would be a 'legal' thing for IDPA (prolly not) and Production...I'd like that feature back.

And thank you S&W for designing the slide release so it is impossible for a lefty to drop the slide with the shooting hand - which combined with the lack of autoforwarding, makes the gun pretty much unusable in competition. 

On 5/13/2017 at 1:42 AM, zhuk said:

And thank you S&W for designing the slide release so it is impossible for a lefty to drop the slide with the shooting hand - which combined with the lack of autoforwarding, makes the gun pretty much unusable in competition. 

Explain on this one, please. Lefty here who likes the older M&Ps just fine.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:17 PM, bigfish said:

Isnt the slide release pretty much identical on both sides of the gun? 

Yes, but because of some malevolent voodoo in the new design none of my friends who tried could drop the slide with the right side release. I can drop it with my left index finger on the left side release, if I hear down very hard. Dead slow, though. Pretty disappointing for us lefties. My son thinks it will loosen up with use. I hope he's right.

Another thing I notice is that I have more of an issue with the slide not locking back on the last round b/c my finger brushes the button with my grip. This was NOT an issue with the 1.0 but happen about 1 in 10 times now. I futzed with it and is IS more of an issue if there is light pressure on the button when the slide moves back on an empty mag. I wondered if it could be I'm using 1.0 magazines (the follower is a bit different, in how it acts on the small tab of the slide stop assembly to raise the slide lock up) and have switched to 2.0 magazine followers just recently. Too soon to tell if it helps or not.  I'm also buying stronger mag springs to see if that will help keep the slide stop pushed up a bit more, to compensate for any pressure my grip exerts to depress the button. Have 100k rounds with this grip, changing this muscle memory now would be an issue....

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 5:49 PM, fencer1960 said:

none of my friends who tried could drop the slide with the right side release... My son thinks it will loosen up with use.

Oh. That's an easy fix. My original M&P was that way.

Shape the notch in the slide to a smoother \ angle where the slide stop engages it, and round off the top edge of the slide stop where it hooks that notch in the slide.

Then thoroughly polish both parts. Go slowly with a hand file on each component so you don't make it TOO easy.

Installing a lighter 13ish pound spring (which you would want to run anyway) will also reduce pressure on the slide stop level when the gun is locked open.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 6/20/2017 at 11:41 PM, fluffybadbad said:

Interested in the Burwell trigger job on your 2.0. Why do you feel that his trigger job on the 2.0 feels better than on your Pro?

Crisper break, shorter reset. Both are excellent, and it could be a random thing that my 2.0 Burwell trigger is 'better' than my 1.0 Burwell trigger....but it's apparent to anyone with experience with triggers...

On 6/20/2017 at 9:57 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Shape the notch in the slide to a smoother \ angle where the slide stop engages it, and round off the top edge of the slide stop where it hooks that notch in the slide.

Then thoroughly polish both parts. Go slowly with a hand file on each component so you don't make it TOO easy.

Installing a lighter 13ish pound spring (which you would want to run anyway) will also reduce pressure on the slide stop level when the gun is locked open.

What is the stock slide spring weight? Also will reducing the slide spring weight become an issue with cycling the slide, i.e. The gun beating itself to death with regular pressure or hotter loads?

On 6/20/2017 at 9:57 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Just what I was going to say.  Can do that with any gun.  Just slowly shape the notch in the slide.  We have had to fix a few where folks have gone too far though . . .