Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp For New Build

Sporky

I am new to open but I love it already!  I found a smith to make me a custom gun and now I need to pick parts.  

The only thing that I am not sure of is the comp.  There only seems to be a few that sell them and I see tons of different configurations on other custom guns.  

So are the smiths making them or just reconfiguring factory made models?

The other question that I have is what configurations do people like?  I see 3-4 ports, side ports, side cut outs etc. but I can't figure out what the best one to get is.

Seems like all the other choices that I have to make are much more self explanatory, but the comps are a whole different deal.

Thanks in advance.

This was a fun thread. A lot of good comps out there, Bedell, Cheely, LSI, Binary, Brazos, etc. shoot as many guns as you can, that's not always easy. Include Steel and non steel gripped guns, with and without popple holes. Of course I didn't listen to any of my own advise, I heard good things about the LSI comp so I just had him build the whole gun.

IMG_0209.JPG

Edited by redfisher

If I had to put a new comp on my gun it would be a Brazos. I had that comp on my last gun and it made the dot track up and down real straight. I have a Cheely comp on my new gun and there is side to side movement on the dot. 

Hello: Do a search and you will get lots of info. "kneelinatlas" has tested quite of few and so I have I. I am just using the comp I designed for flat and soft shooting even for minor loads. I would suggest you listen to your smith and use what he prefers to use as well. Some smiths don't like to change up things very much from there standard builds. Thanks, Eric

52 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Some smiths don't like to change up things very much from there standard builds. Thanks, Eric

Boy isn't that the truth!

I'm glad you chimed in Eric, the comp you designed is the best of any I've tested :cheers:

Thanks for the heads up guys.  Keep on with the suggestions if you would please.

I also did some searching and I found one person saying that the firing pin stop made a huge difference as well.  Anyone have pics of their stops?

Do you think I should start a new topic on the firing pin stops?

On 5/2/2017 at 10:01 PM, kneelingatlas said:

The CFD shoots slightly softer and slightly flatter, both good comps though.

A big plus one for the LSI here.

I'm going to have to disagree with my good friend kneelingatlas here.:sight: While I appreciated the extremely light weight of the CFD comp TO ME it felt noticeably harsher in the hand than a similarly configured blaster with an LSI comp. After trying both I had Glenn at LSI build me a midlength, steel gripped 9 major with his comp and 3 ports.

I'm no Open master but I have had some die hard 38 shooters blown away by how my gun tracks and handles.

I think people have had great success with:

binary eng comp

LSI comp

brazos thunder comp

Akai 3 gill comp

Those seem to be the hot shit right now.

I currently run 3 open blasters. 2 are twins and run a titanium cheely comp with 3 barrel holes. the other is a SVI comp with 2 (large) barrel holes. I do think there is a little bit more noice with the cheely comp but it's still a very nice shooting gun.

if I was trying a new comp it would be one of the 4 I listed above. or aircooledracers comp if that is for sale. 

Thanks for the ideas.

I don't know if it matters, but i am going to go 38 Super Comp and I am loading AA#7 with a 24grn Precision Delta pill.

I was also planning on some popel holes as well.  ( I just like how loud it is )

Does that change any of the suggestions?

14 hours ago, Sporky said:

Thanks for the ideas.

I don't know if it matters, but i am going to go 38 Super Comp and I am loading AA#7 with a 24grn Precision Delta pill.

I was also planning on some popel holes as well.  ( I just like how loud it is )

Does that change any of the suggestions?

I think 38sc and popple holes are a good idea with all those comps. 

It looks like aircoooedracer is selling his comp. Ive not shot one but the reports are good and it does have the added bonus of looking cool with the kind of heart shaped baffles/chambers. 

I shot an akai gill comp recently and really liked that but it was also heavily ported (v6 or v8). I think that contributes to its performance. 

I think 2-3 holes and any of those 5 comps would be nice. 

perhpas consider material too. 

Cfd is ti

i believe lsi is ti?

akai steel

brazos I think aluminium?

aircooledracer steel

steel is easiest to fit/machine/thread and poses no issues with any potential galvanic reaction that you can get with ti on steel. But it's also typically the heaviest which can alter the feel of the balance. Aluminium is lightest but most fragile. Titanium is a fairly good balance between weight/strength.

i quite like ti comps. Some claim they feel 'harsher' but I'm not sure why they feel that.