Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips

rolen1517

I have been using three sets of 14 (that’s what fits in the cd container travel boxes) TK clips for almost two years. Normally, one cd box in the range bag will get it done for a local match … occasionally the second box will get opened and on the belt but doesn’t see action.  

Recently, I have been shooting some steel matches … shooting them double (200-250 rounds) and all three boxes see action. All of the sudden … my revolver “that hasn’t had a FTF in almost 8000 rounds” starts experiencing one … and then occasionally … two misfires per match.

All clips go right back into the boxes as they come off the belt so there is little chance of them being damaged going or coming. Pulling the offenders back out after the match revealed the unfired rounds would fire the second time around. Having just swapped over to a 650 from a lee turret I was convinced that the problem “was absolutely positively” due to my new reloading process.

A shooting buddy suggested I had “a” bent moonclip … I counter … “no way” … as a couple of times it has happened two times in a match … and there is “no way” there could be two damaged moonclips. After all … everytime I reload the clip (never on the range) I make sure the bullets spin and there is absolutely positively no way a bullet is going to spin in a TK moon clip if it is bent (starlines in starline clips).

Sooooooo … after giving the ammo really good look … and it looks great … I figure it has to be time to adjust the mainspring (on a gun that hasn’t had a FTF in almost 8000 rounds!!).

I just (this week) finished getting the gun back to where it used to be (knocked off a few oz even with a new rebound spring) … AND … wait for it!! … below are photos of the two bent moon clips. Starline cases spin in these little suckers no problem … but … they would not drop into the cylinder checker without help.

I quit “bothering” with the cylinder checker a long time ago … depending entirely on bullet spin and I will never do that again. The cylinder checker is now (for me) that last check before any reloaded moonclip ever makes it back into the cd cakebox.

I am keeping these moonclips … bent or not … at $6.50 each I can’t bear to throw them out … even though I know they are just sitting there … plotting … waiting for an opportunity to sneak back into the lineup.

moonclips.jpg.203d156372f89f5c4feed86c6ae81529.jpgcdclips.jpg.0672cb96de8be2d2a6b621dda7686d13.jpg

On 5/23/2017 at 6:49 PM, PatJones said:

I straighten my bent moons with pliers and check them on the glass coffee table. My wife loves it.

Wow!! OK ... I just tried straightening one out; used a hand mirror as a flat surface and it worked great.

Just found two more and it was getting depressing ... whoooo ... one down ... three to go!! :bow:

edit: OK .. now I feel really dumb (more than usual) ... the last three each had a single twisted petal and was very easy to tweak back into place. All pass the cylinder checker tool and back in service. Thanks!!

Edited by pete627

When I load at home for a match I use the gun for a checker.

I also have "match" clips. I don't use them for practice. Went through some of the same; misfires, etc, till I started to straighten them on a regular basis. (Practice clips, after the occasional misfire)

Good to go now!

... the last three each had a single twisted petal and was very easy to tweak back into place. All pass the cylinder checker tool and back in service. Thanks!!

I usually just find a single twisted petal or a simple bend. I have one truly mangled by a RO that has been retired to dry fire practice.