Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips

rolen1517

I always gave other shooters a heads up I was dropping moons and to watch where they stepped. Bent a few over the years from being stepped on but mostly people were pretty good about it. 100 ought to last you till the revo wears out.

Naval Aviator  -  Viet Nam

NRA Life & Benefactor

9 hours ago, rolen1517 said:

New to revolver

How long does a moon clips last ?

Do you guys loose a lot though out the season shooting a course of fire ?

Should last many years if you don't bend them. 

Started with 110 hearthco "expensive"  moonclips for the 627, in 5 years lost 3 and I'm the one who stepped on all of them???

Lost about the same in 45 acp, never lost one for the 44 russians, only used it for 2 years.

Most I've been able to straighten with pliers good enough to use for reloading practice with dummy rounds. Would not want to depend on them for matches or self defense.

A very few I pitched.

If they don't get stepped on they will last your life time.

Stack the moon clips like poker chips.  When new they will be  a solid pile.  As you use them and some get bets check again.  If you see daylight something is bent.  Either the clip on the top of the light or the bottom.

24 minutes ago, revoman said:

Just check them in the cylinder of your revolver. If they go in they will go in at a match.

Sure, i'll just go over to the safe table and test load all my loaded ammunition during the match.

^_^

1 hour ago, alecmc said:

Sure, i'll just go over to the safe table and test load all my loaded ammunition during the match.

^_^

Knock your lights out doing that. I do it at home or in the hotel the night before and I am talking checking my moon clips not adding to the spank bank.

If you have enough clips loaded to get you through the match no need to check at the match.

Let me know how that works out for you handling ammo at the safe area. ?

Edited by revoman

sarcasm meter is off.

Many people dont bother loading up 50 or 60 moon clips for an entire match, i'll load up 9 or 10 for my belt and just reload during the match as necessary. 

I  used one before and maybe it was a little more tolerant than my revolver. The clip went in the checker just fine but did not go in my revolver. That is when I just started using my cylinder only. If it goes in once it should  go in later  at the match. It only happened a couple of times but at a match that hurts.

Edited by revoman

Found it simpler to load more moons than needed for a match, insert in cylinder and only close half way and spin. Recoil shield will stop any that aren't correct and there's no need to close cylinder completely. Just one less thing to deal with at a match. Never had any problems w/ ammo during a match using this procedure. Fergot to mention this was dome while at home - NOT at range.

Edited by buckaroo45
Clarification

I load all my moonclips at home, I have a bunch. I check them with a moonclip checker.

Given that the box bounces around in my truck on the way to the match, I drop them into my moonclip checker before they go onto my belt. If there is a moonclip that drops in a little slow, that's the load and make ready one.

Clips can get bent bumping into things at the match, I use the moon checker on every moonclip on every stage. It doesn't take long, and it gets me warmed up to reload.

I load up the night before a match as well.  I found this tool organizer that fits loaded moon clips perfectly and protects them from bouncing around.  I still use the moon checker before I put them on my belt, just because ..... lol

P4260010a.thumb.JPG.82ffbc6e8f06c9cee15957555182137e.JPG

I check all of mine at home before the match.  I bought the thickest/tightest moonclips for 9mm and every now and then you get one piece of brass that's too tight and doesn't want to rotate in the gun.  That brass never spins in the clip either, so you can check them that way as well.  But it took a while to confirm both were related.