Wrists below belt?

Sarge

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Yardbird said:

Interesting, 5.2.7.2  says "except as specified in appendix D," which says "no restriction on position of holster." 

The only rule that specifies a different grip location than 5.2.7.2 is in single stack where the front strap needs to be above the top of the belt. (D5-20).

Edited by ChuckS

Yup, not the best wording. But it has been enforced that way for at least 21 years.

ETA: It looks like that Appendix reference was added to the rule in the 2008 book. That was the first edition after the addition of the Single Stack Division. I'm thinking that was added to remove the conflict with the SS rule about above the top of the belt. I guess adding the word "lateral" to the no restriction statement in the appendix could clean things up a tad.

Edited by ChuckS

Guarantee that I saw people in Open, changing their guns to have the backstrap above their belt.  They were also moving the holster in to fit the 2 inch rule.

Enforced by DNROI Instructors and DNROI himself backing them up and checking post-adjustment.

3 hours ago, Yardbird said:

Interesting, 5.2.7.2  says "except as specified in appendix D," which says "no restriction on position of holster." 

5.2.7.2 specifies the normal restrictions on the level of the gun and holster in relationship to the belt ... the exceptions in App D apply to divisions that are more restrictive than the normal.  Show up with the heel of the butt below the top of the belt in OD (or any of the others not further restricted by App Dx) and you will be told to correct it.  If you don't, you'll be sent to the showers.  See 6.2.5.

14 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

5.2.7.2 specifies the normal restrictions on the level of the gun and holster in relationship to the belt ... the exceptions in App D apply to divisions that are more restrictive than the normal.  Show up with the heel of the butt below the top of the belt in OD (or any of the others not further restricted by App Dx) and you will be told to correct it.  If you don't, you'll be sent to the showers.  See 6.2.5.

Yep. Had a lady shooter at a major walk up to my stage with her open gun slung down near her knee. when I told her it was not in accordance with the rules she and her husband said she has always worn it that way for years! It astounds me that went unnoticed?

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yep. Had a lady shooter at a major walk up to my stage with her open gun slung down near her knee. when I told her it was not in accordance with the rules she and her husband said she has always worn it that way for years! It astounds me that went unnoticed?

What can I say ... That's what happens when rules are NOT enforced (usually at their local club ...)

4 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

What can I say ... That's what happens when rules are NOT enforced (usually at their local club ...)

And that's not even one of the more difficult rules.

1 minute ago, Trent1k1 said:

oh, there's a whole thread on Facebook about that.

Some stating that by enforcing the rules and DQ-ing people at local marches we are turning them away from the sport.

True ... But I did lay into a new shooter at a match once.  Gun on the table start.  His turn, he just walks up to the table, takes his gun out and puts it on the table.  No one had said ANYTHING to him, much less MR.  There were at least 3 people DIRECTLY in front of him, in plain sight, pasting targets.  I chewed him up one side, down the other, and sent him home.  I would have thought a Federal LEO would have better sense!  Live and learn.

It was two years before I saw him again.  Sorry to sound harsh, but if someone is THAT brain dead, I don't WANT him on my range!

4 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

True ... But I did lay into a new shooter at a match once.  Gun on the table start.  His turn, he just walks up to the table, takes his gun out and puts it on the table.  No one had said ANYTHING to him, much less MR.  There were at least 3 people DIRECTLY in front of him, in plain sight, pasting targets.  I chewed him up one side, down the other, and sent him home.  I would have thought a Federal LEO would have better sense!  Live and learn.

It was two years before I saw him again.  Sorry to sound harsh, but if someone is THAT brain dead, I don't WANT him on my range!

Had a new guy do that at my very first match. He laid it on the barrel while we were pasting never even thinking. We all turned around to head back and we were looking down a barrel...... 

yeah he didn't get ran out but he got a pretty firm warning that had it been anything other than a local match he would be going home. 

Was a good learning experience for me too. 

8 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I have learned to just talk to everyone on the squad before a table start (especially the newb's) and remind them that 'hey, you're up' is not the same as 'make ready'. I see local matches as a real opportunity to educate, but if the education fails, you still have to enforce.

11 minutes ago, calebj06 said:

Had a new guy do that at my very first match. He laid it on the barrel while we were pasting never even thinking. We all turned around to head back and we were looking down a barrel...... 

yeah he didn't get ran out but he got a pretty firm warning that had it been anything other than a local match he would be going home. 

Was a good learning experience for me too. 

Turn in your NROI credentials, if you have them.

1 minute ago, waktasz said:

No credentials here. 

Think you misunderstood me. It was not my first match as RO, it was my FIRST MATCH EVER! Lol.  

3 minutes ago, waktasz said:

imho, first thing to look at is are new shooters getting a proper safety/rules briefing. If not, beat the shooter over the head, and then fix your process for handling new shooters. If yes, then so sorry, dq, and please come back again and the next match is on us. We don't want to drive people away, but we don't want to ever be careless about safety rules.

Here's where I stand on this, and why I don't give people breaks anymore.  

Had a new shooter do exactly the same thing at a match I was at, years ago.  We talked it over with him and allowed him to continue.

On the next stage he turned completely around and ran up range with no regard for the 180 or anyone else on the range.  If he had done something horrible at that point and someone got injured, well...I'm just glad that didn't happen.

I've sent a bunch of guys home for doing that too.

Now, we try to get all new shooters a sort of mentor yo help them break down stages and walk them through start positions like this