Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp plated/Bullseye lightest load to make major..?

JeremiahD

Note: I do understand until I personally put it together and chrono it with My gun, load data is a ballpark. :) 

I am relatively new to reloading and have been playing it safe with my loads, keeping it well within Major.  I have been a bit leery of running a load much lighter than the published data in the books so I dont screw something up.  My current recipe has been the following (partly due to price and availability of the components):

230grn Powerbond plated HP, 4.7grn Bullseye, with a COAL of 1.200 (+/- .005) and Federal match (and occasionally Winchester) large primers, Factory 1x fired PPU brass with an average length of 0.94.  FWIW, I am using a Colt combat commander with a 4.75" barrel.

I came to this via the Speer book for their GDHP which suggests a start charge of 4.5 and max of 5. 

After doing alot of digging around the internets, it appears plated should be loaded close to lead, and I've run across more than a few people who have loaded all the way down to 3.6grn Bullseye.  As a test, I ran 20 at 4.0 and another at 4.3 just to try it out.  

As it turns out, not only do they function beautifully in my commander with a stock springs, but they're an absolute joy to shoot. Right back on target, little to no lift at all, two holes touching.

I'm totally sold on light loads.

Anyway, now that you know the background, whats the lightest 230grn 45ACP load folks are running and still making Major PF, particularly using bullseye and/or plated rounds? Am I off base assuming I should load plated like lead? 

The last time I used 230 gr RN plated bullets, with Bullseye powder for USPSA, It took 4.3 gr, with Win primers, and loaded at 1.250 oal, to make 165 pf. This was in a 5" gun. Your results may vary. Since then I moved on to cast bullets with other powders.

Thanks GB, Thats pretty darn close to some of the loads I worked up, thanks for the confirmation.  I suspect the 4.0 load will be way too low, and th 4.3 will be on the bubble with a commander length barrel.

Thanks again.

20 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

4.2 gr of Clays with a 200 gr LSWC!

Thanks but... not 230gr plated, or bullseye powder ;)  i was looking for a ballpark with those specific components.

• 2 weeks later...

You are still going to have to chrono your load to make sure it makes Major in your barrel.  Examples:  my 40 Major load is a LOT faster in my CZ TS barrel than it is in my 2011 barrel.  Also, my standard bullseye load is faster in my Kart barreled gun than it is in my Barsto barreled gun.

11 hours ago, zzt said:

You are still going to have to chrono your load to make sure it makes Major in your barrel.  Examples:  my 40 Major load is a LOT faster in my CZ TS barrel than it is in my 2011 barrel.  Also, my standard bullseye load is faster in my Kart barreled gun than it is in my Barsto barreled gun.

I'm aware, which is why I put that in bold at the top of the post :) I was just hoping to get a range or an idea if anyone else used it before I ran off a half-dozen loads to test. no dice, so I tended up taking about 5 loads to a friend who offered to chrono.  None made major in my barrel much to my surprise. I switched to production ammo temporarily until I can get something going,  I'll probably just hold back the bullseye for range loads and switch to clays or viht. 

The end-all solution is going to be switching to a proper 5" 1911 competition gun in addition to the powder switch.

thanks for the feedback

Edited by JeremiahD

You will have an easier time with a 5".  If you can find some, Solo 1000 is a superb powder for 45 Major.  I use 5.0gr under a 200gr LSWC or TCPB bullet for 172PF and single digit SDs.

Just to update, in case anyone runs across/searches this thread in the future:

in my 4.75" Colt Commander, the lowest load using Bullseye under a 230grn plated round (.451x.644) is 5.0 grains with a COAL of 1.230 (+/-005) making 167.3PF, average of 9 rounds tested.

Your mileage will vary :) Now looking forward to a 5" 1911.

Edited by JeremiahD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ran 4.5 grains of BE with a 230 grain XTreme plated RN over my Oehler 35P.  (1.250" OAL, 5"  barrel)  

I got 744 fps average for a RF of 171.  

Edited by Ken6PPC
added OAL and barrel length

13 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

I ran 4.5 grains of BE with a 230 grain XTreme plated RN over my Oehler 35P.  (1.250" OAL, 5"  barrel)  

I got 744 fps average for a RF of 171.  

Thanks Ken. I've since moved on to experimenting with Clays and 200grn plated (not sure if I like the lighter rounds), and a proper 5" 1911, but I still have a fair amount of Bullseye left. 

I'd trust your data over a much more accurate chrono that I have access to (basic CE chrono).  My loads that tested in around 170 made almost 187 (yikes...) at a L2 match earlier this year out of that commander.

I may work up a few hundred rounds of your recipe and see how it compares.

• 4 months later...

In my experience, Bullseye is awesome at higher pressures but dirty to godawful filthy at lower pressures. Any load I want to work up that's lighter than a 230gr at 800 fps, Bullseye's off my list.

Clays is ok until you get down towards mouse fart loads where you'll get incomplete powder burn.

Don't be afraid to experiment on your own loads. If you have a working load you can go up and down all you like as long as you move in very small increments and watch closely for warning signs. As long as the bullet exits the bore fast enough to hit paper at 25 yards without bouncing first, the slide fully cycles and the powder is all burned, it's not too low. If you're not getting cratered/pierced/flattened primers, split brass or cycling issues caused by slide battering, it's not too hot. 45ACP is very forgiving, especially when you're using the slow burning shotgun powders in it.

Thanks AC

I ditched bullseye and 230's about 6 months ago for competition shooting. Still use both in SD loads though. Youre right, its pretty dirty and was boogering up the function of the gun after just a few hundred rounds. Lower pressure cases werent sealing either which didnt help the issue.

current production clays is garbage in my experience over the last few months. Speeds are signifigantly lower than published load data and I see no point in pushing past the upper reaches to try make major, particularly since it meters so poorly I can get a variance of up to 3/4 grain per throw on an RCBS uniflow.  I'm sure others will disagree, but thats what I've found.

Been experimenting pretty heavily with a half dozen different powders, projectile weights etc and I've found 200gr coated lead and WST (4.9 to 5.0) is where its at.   accurate, low SD, consistant metering, decent recoil. makes PF with room to spare